PDA

View Full Version : Any spiny mice owners/ experts here?

fsrv
01-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Hello,
I lost one of my hamsters (Swiffer-the-Wookie) two days ago so I decided to adopt a new pet. I usually get rescues, but there's no homeless hamsters available at the local SPAs or at the classifieds- which is a good thing of course!
However, there is a couple of male spiny mice at the SPA (they've been there for a while now, about six months), so I am tempted to rescue them.
Before doing so, however, I would like to have some more information on them, so that I can be sure that I can provide them with everything they need.
For example, from what I've read, spiny mice cannot be kept in a hamster cage, so I need to invest in a new set-up (they need a glass tank because they're big-time chewers and have britle tails that may break if caught between bars).
Has anyone here ever owned one? I realise that they are not very common pets in Europe, but there's quite a few american members on this forum, too, so I hope they might know.
Thanks

Onion
01-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I own 2 fancy mice, but I have never had spiny mice. I don't know how alike they are, but I can offer advice if they are similar :)

fsrv
01-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks Onion! I think they are supposed to be quite different. The websites I've seen say they have very brittle tails, so you can't have cages with bars. Also, they are supposed to be the most chewy rodents of all pets, so nothing plastic in their enclosure. But I don't know how stricktly I should follow these rules, in the photo of the SPA site, the mice are clearly in a normal cage.
I just saw that my local library has a book on spiny mice, I'm planning to go over and borrow it soon :-)

Onion
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Ok, no problem, good luck with them :)

crazygal330
01-08-2012, 10:30 AM
There are some spiny mice at the wildlife park where I volunteer, so I know a little bit about them, though mostly I just clean them out :mad:
They are incredibly inquisitive animals. They get in my way constantly whilst I am cleaning, then skitter away again, clambering all over my dustpan and brush. They live in a big glass tank, as they are very very good at escaping! Many of them don't have tails anymore, as they have broken off at some point. They are very rough haired, rather obviously, but they aren't soft to the touch.
They live longer than normal mice from what I have read, I believe they can live up to 7 years? I don't know if that is true or not. You might want to try joining Categories - Mice Are Nice! (http://www.micearenice.co.uk/forum/index.html) I know some people on there have or do keep spiny mice. :)

racinghamster
01-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Spiny mice are more exotic than your regular pet/fancy mice. They are also called Egyptian spiny mice and have little `spikey` coats that resemble spikes! Pointed noses and yes, their tails can be injured so never try to hold them by the tail.

I used to know some members over on the mouse forum I`m a member of who kept these from a very large rescue where hundreds literally had to be saved from a mass breeder. Many died sadly but the ones who were rescued went on to live happy lives. They can be difficult to keep together and can fall out big time, but I don`t know a great deal about this species to be able to advise you really. They can be kept in barred cages, but these are usually rat sized cages, which I doubt would be availale in the US. So it`s probably best to keep them in a habitat they are used to now, rather than change their way of life and risk them falling out.

I would advise looking for an exotic mammals forum or you could ask on the forum I`m a member of here in the UK, although we don`t have an exotics section, we do have a few members who may be able to advise better: Recent Topics - Mice Are Nice! (http://www.micearenice.co.uk/forum/)

Do as much research as you can, but they should be easy enough to keep if the rescue can advise you on what their diet has been and how best to house them. They may not be good to handle and they can be nippy, so it could be that they would be watchable mice rather than mice you can easily scoop and handle.

MzWiz0915
01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I've never heard of spiny mice before, I just looked them up and they look like a beautiful and fun species :) I hope it works out for you, if you decide to adopt after doing your research please share pics!

Hamtastic
01-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I also had to look them up, and they are completely adorable! If you decide to get those, please do post lots of photos!!

(Also, Canada is not in the U.S., but they do have a similar cage selection, I think).

fsrv
01-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Thank you for the info crazygal and racing hamster and you too MzWiz and hamtastic!

Oh my god. We got them on Frinday evening. Spiny mice are just hilarius! I've been used to syrian hamsters who are relaxed and nonchalant, so watching these little mad monsters is so different! They are true comedians.

The people at the rescue didn't know much about them; I had done some basic research on the net before going to the rescue, so I was able to explain them a few facts about them.

In principle, they are better off in an aquarium/terrarium because they are the chewyest rodents ever and would escape from a plastic cage. But I got them an all-metal cage instead, which is easier to clean and handle. I hope I chose well. In hindsight, the cage is not as big as it could, so I will probably have to upgrade soon. But, they'll be getting a bit of free-range time in the bathroom too, as soon as the quarantine period passes.

I'll be posting photos soon!

racinghamster
01-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Oh wow, good on you! :) They certainly are fast and funny, but do be warned that they can fall out at any time, so do keep that in mind just incase. I`m only basing that though on some mouse members who rehomed some spinies from a very large rescue that took place here in the UK a few years back and most of the spinies were interbred and not kept in the best conditions to be honest, so the people who rehomed them had to also do research and start from scratch. It`s a learning curve but they normally eat grains, seeds, mealworms that type of diet.

They do well on commercial mouse & rat foods, but I`m not familiar with Canadian foods. Sorry, I thought earlier on you were in the US! Appologies...

fsrv
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks racing hamster! Yeah, I read about them falling out, they also will attack another mouse if the latter is injured. I give them mouse lab blocks (verselle-laga) and I was planning to get some mealworms, too. They very easily get diabetes, so I need to be very careful with what they eat. And no problem about thinking I live in us, I've moved in so many countries in my life that I need to remind me which country I live in each time :-)

Jessie
06-02-2013, 10:51 AM
I knwo this is an old thread but seeing people who know about spiny mice have commented figured some advice could be offered. I have a lone male who is a lot happier living on his own. I had him in a 20 gal aquarium which got broke so I put him in a 30 tall with lots to climb on and his wheel and everything. he's not doing so good and seems stressed out. I put him in a habitrail ovo.. 3 bases with all the connections from all 3. I know it's not an idea set up but he seems happy. can anyone suggest a better set up for him or do you think that would be okay?