PDA

View Full Version : RIP Swiffer-the-Wookie

fsrv
01-06-2012, 12:10 PM
My elderly hamster Swiffer-the-Wookie sadly passed away quite unexpectedly two days ago. I was on holiday in my native Greece when the phone rang and my boyfriend announced to me that he found our grandpa-hamster peacefully asleep. It is the second time that I lose a hamster while on holiday. In fact, being far away takes away a lot of the emotions because I am not there to find him. He was his usual self the day before, so hopefully he did not suffer too long.
Anyway, I got Swiffer in July, his previous owner was giving him away because she "forgot to feed him". She also found that he "let the cat play with him without reacting". He was already quite old, 19 months and obviously very malnourished. Ever since moving in with us, Swiffer thrived and became a very happy hamster. Of cource he had a number of health problems, he had bladder stones and suspected cushings (although it is not sure if his hair loss was just old age/demodex). In general, he enjoyed runnning on his wheel (and falling asleep midway), running free in the bathroom, digging in a tub of sand and eating pumkinseeds.
Play well at the rainbow, little Swiffer-the-Wookie.

starbug
01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad you were able to give him a happy home in his last months.

riri
01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
That's a touching story, I guess like you said it takes a bit of the pain away not having to find him yourself, personally I think that's how I'd rather it. Especially with someone you trust finding him as you know it was nothing suspicious and he went happily :)
RIP Swiffer x x

fsrv
01-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Thank you all! Because Swiffer had a difficult life and was more than two years old, I was kind of prepared for his passing away. Still, I am in denial a bit.

Womblehands
01-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I am so sorry, I remember him from a thread some time ago and people said he was like a little hoover with his fur sweeping the floor. Rest well little lad

Gillzy
01-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Oh Swiffer. :( You don't have the best of luck when you're away. Luckily you had someone who was kind enough to break the news gently. He was a lovely little man, RIP petal x

shazzy
01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Rest well little man xx

souffle
01-06-2012, 01:21 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds to have found his special home with you and his final times were the very best.
Play well at the bridge Swiffer.

fsrv
01-06-2012, 01:58 PM
It's so touching that people here remember him. Thank you!

Sammybingo
01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
I remember you getting Swiffer, and how adorable he was, despite his hardships. The photos of him you posted really stuck with me - he seemed such a gentle beauty. You gave that little duster-on-legs a wonderful time in his twilight years <3 I'm so happy he found you.
I hope you can still enjoy the remainder of your holidays
x

Pompompoms
01-06-2012, 06:44 PM
How lucky he was to find you to live his retirement in such a loving caring home. I bet he couldn't believe his luck!

As he was fine the day before it sounds like he just passed peacefully or old age, making his journey to the bridge where he will happily live with all our dearly missed little ones till the time is right for you to meet again xx

Gibbs&JackBlack
01-07-2012, 02:41 PM
So sorry, run free Swiffer.

fluffymunchkins
01-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear Swiffer has passed, such a fabulous man :(
He will be in the best of company up there, sleep tight xxx

Hamtastic
01-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Rest in peace, Swiffer <3

AliKati
01-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Sounds like he was hugely loved and pampered in his old age. Rest well, ham with the funny name.

Jandrhamster
01-16-2012, 07:31 AM
play well at the bridge x