PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried over hemp seed?

racinghamster
01-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Just last night, my little chinese hamster female didn`t look too great and she did have a wee sneeze now and then and has what looks either like a cold or a respiratory episode. She`s a bit tired and not really herself, but she rallies now and then. I`m keeping her warm in the meantime and will ring my vet if I need her seen. Right now, I`m just monitoring her situation.

However, my main reason for posting is, I have fed her Hemp seed mainly as a treat for a about a month or so now and have looked into hemp toxicity in hamsters after thinking rightly that hemp was just a good protein source and is safe to feed. However, I came across this site today: Pet Supplies - Pet Products - Pet Food | Petco.com (http://www.petco.com/Content/Article.aspx?id=825)

If you scroll down, it mentions hemp as being something hamsters usually don`t touch (in the wild I`m assuming?) but then goes on to state that if a hamster does eat it, the hamster can have side effects and appear nausious and not right. This got me really worried that hemp seed may have had an effect on Prinny? I can`t be absolutely sure about this because many other sites seem to say it`s fine to add hemp seed to hamster feed, but now I`m not so sure. I`ve removed all the hemp seed from her dish to see if she is just having an episode of stupour, although I`m convinced it`s a cold or an upper respiratory issue personally, but having read this, I`m not so sure.

Silver
01-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Hello RC,

Hemp seed is safe for Hammy's & I use it in all of my hammy mix's. What could be happening is your chinese is allergic to the hemp.

I say this because I saw a allergic reaction in Joe my pure ww had a allergic reaction to Bulgher Wheat. He didn't sneeze but did look poorly, didn't do anything much & he scratched. He was just not right like you say your Chnese is.

After taking all the Bulgher Wheat out of his food it took 4-5 ays before he started to look better, stop scratching & became his old self again.

So if your Chinese dosen't get any better after 4-5 days then it's not the hemp seed.

Sorry just also remember that when I picked Joe up he felt hot as well xxx

racinghamster
01-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Hi Silver, many thanks for replying. I know I`m probably picking at this as an answer and the hemp seed is probably fine as you say. I guess I was scrutanising what I may have recently added to Prinny`s diet (albeit over a month ago) and to do some searching and that`s when I found the article in the link I posted, although I have to say that this is the only website I found that had anything negitive to say regarding hemp. Hemp seed is actually quite important for omega 3 & 6 and has a lot going for it in terms of adding it to feed. But as you say, the next 24 hours will tell me whether she is better, or wether it`s more likely to be respiratory which is probably more likely.

Hemp is related to Marahuana (can`t spell that word!) so I was thinking that perhaps the seed might have a similar effect if too many were consumed by such a small hamster? Probably not, but I guess I will never know.

Prinny was actually cold and not warm last night when I scooped her up, but she`s warmed up again, so she wasn`t hot within herself, no.

Vectis Hamstery
01-05-2012, 11:21 AM
All of my hams have hemp seed as a regular addition in their mix and have had for a few years. I find it gives them a lovely shine to their coats. Even my girl with post-infective food intolerance ate hemp seed without any problem.

I would agree with you that a respiratory infection is more likely. If she's snuffly and not herself I would recommend a vet check as she may need antibiotics. I haven't noticed any high temperatures in my hams with chest infections, but sometimes unwell hamsters can feel cool, I've found.

Silver
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM
That would make sence Vectis why Joe was hot because it was a allergy xxx

Emma&Bee
01-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I cant offer any advice racinghamster but I do hope Prinny feels better soon.

Mona's Humans
01-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I doubt it is, but if it is hemp then aubiose is out too.

I think although it mentions hemp in that description, the side effects don't seem to be geared at it, and it more details the resin, so i guess the seeds etc would be safe??

Mikayla
01-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Just to say- Petco is our US Pets at Home. We also have Petsmart (You guys used to). Although Petco is better than Petsmart. Petco is still crap. :)

racinghamster
01-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Thanks everyone. She was digging about this morning and seemingly better, but yesterday she seemed fine most of the afternoon and then took a downturn just before bedtime and just wanted to stretch out and lie down in the open. She just looked tired poor wee darling. I fed her some jumbo oats and organic puffed rice soaked in milk 50/50 with water which I heated over the warm radiator in a ramakin dish! She scoffed that! So she was continuing to eat throught these episodes and she also drank a few times from her bottle. I`m keeping a close eye on her today and if she goes downhill again, I will be seeing my vet either today or tomorrow. But if she continues to improve and not take anymore lethargic turns, I will just monitor the situation.

I doubted it was anything to do with the hemp seed to be honest, but I have removed it from her diet anyway. If she was to fall ill again in a month or so with the same symptoms, then I will know it wasn`t the hemp. She will definately be put onto baytril is I see any signs today that she`s not good. She`s went off to bed now after having a wee dig about and some food, so I`m hoping she`s `out of the woods`, but today and tomorrow will tell me.