PDA

View Full Version : Ropes?

Mikayla
01-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I was looking on a mouse forum today (When I'm bored I look up on how to care for other small animals PROPERLY :lol:) and I saw that they had rope strung all over the cage so that the mice could climb. I know that Chinese Hams like to climb and cling and I wondered if I would do this for Holly? I think it would be really fun for her :) Obviously I wouldn't do it too high (I actually can't ATM as she' in the aquarium, but I can start tricking out her cage before then) so that if she fell off she's just foll onto the bedding and would bounce back up.

racinghamster
01-05-2012, 03:16 AM
You could give her a rope that she could happily cling to and hop on and off yes. You can buy those bendy ropes for cages birds/parrots over here and they have plastic clips at either end to attach securely to cage bars. The only thing I would say would be careful if the rope leads upwards to the tank lid incase the bar spacing is wide enough for a chinese to squeeze through. That would be my only concern really, but a rope should be okay as long as the fibres it`s made from are not easily chewed off. If it`s made for pets (and not sport or other use) it should be fine.

souffle
01-05-2012, 03:41 AM
Dommy Bob has the woven grass tubes in his tank and we have supended them from the roof and also against the shelves. He loves to climb through, under and over these so that might be an option. I imagine that thick, untreated natural rope would be fine and make an interesting play area for Holly :)

Mikayla
01-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Okay, when I get her into her other cage I'll start this. :)

Racing Hamster- Why would I use mesh that was big enough for her to get through in the first place? Also, she's in an aquarium.

racinghamster
01-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I only mentioned that as I can`t see your tank. ;) It was just incase your tank lid was home-made and had bar spacing rather than mesh.

Vectis Hamstery
01-05-2012, 11:35 AM
I've found bird toys (which often have rope parts) useful as Chinese toys. You've inspired me to go and browse the bird aisle again for my crazy climbing Callie-Mist - I often find her dangling from bars on the roof of her cage!

I look forward to seeing the new set-up. :)

Mikayla
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Oh, so a ladder that is suspended in the air might make a good toy also? She's a pretty big climber, atleast all over my hands :)

I'm already smitten and am positive I will never be without a Chinese as long as I still own hamsters. :)