PDA

View Full Version : What size silent spinner?

hannahbubble
01-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I am getting my chinese hammie this week and I am getting the ferplast mini duna cage. I have read a lot of posts saying the cage you get is rubbish, plus I want one that isn't noisy.

What size of silent spinner do I need to get for my baby?

KatiePillow
01-01-2012, 01:13 PM
I'd suggest 6.5", my girl seems fine with it, but if you have a boy then they're slightly longer so I don't know.
I love my chinese because she's very light footed so doesn't make her wheel rattle from side to side :)

SnickersTheFirst
01-01-2012, 01:42 PM
I'd go for the 6.5". Tbh the 4.5" is only good for baby robos. :D

hannahbubble
01-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys! I am getting a girl hopefully so the 6.5 will do nicely!! Just have to find one now, I don't know if they sell them at P@H.

KatiePillow
01-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I bought all mine online, on ebay - they come to about £10 including postage and packaging, but they really are high quality, and very quiet.

kyrilliondaemon
01-01-2012, 06:57 PM
We got ours at pets at home, just watch out because ours proved useless (squeaky, rattly, sticky, you name it - they managed to be it lol). We think it was a bad batch though.

hannahbubble
01-01-2012, 07:32 PM
When did P@H have them? I'm going this week.

racinghamster
01-02-2012, 02:37 AM
I have a chinese female and use the Regular Silent Spinner wheels (the 6.5" inch size). They are very good wheels and my little one loves hers. The wheel will probably get buried or sunk under substrate though as they love to dig! :mad: I have a second hand Gabber Rex as I find the Duna and the Savic Rody a little on the small side. A Zoozone 1 is a better size because once you add the wheel, the food dish and other accessories, you will find that the Duna becomes cramped. Although they are a good stepping stone to a larger perspex cage once your little one has settled in. Chinese hamsters are naturally timid, so like to have plenty of hidey holes. Cardboard, cork and wooden items are best.

Also, use a Classic water bottle because I`m not too sure if the Duna comes with one of those naff sippy bottles still? If it does, I would remove that and just use a Classic style bottle. They are easier for a chinese or a dwraf hamster in general to drink from.

Are you getting her from the PAH adoption area or just buying from stock?

Gizmodo ^_^
01-02-2012, 04:57 AM
Yeah the 6.5" Spinner is great :D
Up too you on the Mini Duna though, My mums hamster Hugo loves his, but my hamsters seem to prefer cages like the zoo-zone1
I'd try the chinese out in the Duna first though :)

Bekki2308
01-09-2012, 07:27 AM
I have a spare mickey max cage , same size as mini duna but barred with 5mm bar spacing ... if I see a chinese in teh p@h adoption centre can I put him/her in this and not worry about escapes?

My syrians will probably get a cage upgrade so I will have spare ZZ1s in teh future for it.

KatiePillow
01-09-2012, 07:44 AM
My main concerns with barred cages for chinese hamsters is that they dig a lot, so bedding would go out through the bars, and I've also heard of them peeing out of the bars of their cages too..
But It'd be fine in terms of bar spacing I'd have thought.
But I'd try and cushion any fall, because although they're good climbers, they have delicate bodies and not a lot of fat to pad them out.

racinghamster
01-09-2012, 08:59 AM
All of what Katie said above and if the Mickey Max is the same size as a Ferplast Duna, then it would be adequate, but very limited in digging and could have a chinese monkey barring all over the place! Not something I like to see a ground dwelling animal do to be honest because as katie already said, chinese are quite svelt (thin bodied) and don`t carry a lot of condition to cushion a fall onto a hard surface below. The Mickey Max if I remember rightly has two inner shelves yes? They are also barred, so would need covering.

The Zoozone 1 is a far better environment for a chinese to be honest and it`s also a good idea to have a cage all set up for a chinese to live in from day one, because it allows them to familiarize themselves with it. :)

Bekki2308
01-09-2012, 09:12 AM
thanks :-) the mickey max has one shelf, the mickey double has two. The max is only tall enough for a 6.5 inch silent spinner cant fit an 8 inch wheel in it at all.

I also have an imac fantasy coming through the post if that would be better? (big bundle of plastic toys and a playpen for £20 with an imac fantasy ... didnt really want the cage but it was a great bundle even without it!)

I can shift my syrian into the imac and put a chinese in a zz1 or even buy a mini duna :-)

racinghamster
01-09-2012, 09:39 AM
The Imac Fantasy bar spacing is 1cm, so too wide for a chinese. Fine for a typical Russian dwarf, but I wouldn`t risk a chinese in one. Especially with the gaps around the door at the front! A chinese would be out through that in no time!

A 6.5cm silent spinner is fine for a chinese. Nothing smaller though.