PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behaviour

sammys/mum
01-16-2008, 11:13 AM
My new Campbell hamster Chutney has decided that he doesnt want any bedding anywhere in his cage instead he wants it all piled in the corner. So, he pushes it all into the corner with his back legs then goes in it and hides. Why does he do this?

jayne
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I wouldnt imagine this is anything to worry about.
Hamsters have their own minds and will just do what suits them, what appears strange to us is normal to them, if you know what i mean? :shock:

My chinese hamsters used to do this, get all their bedding together and kick it up in a corner with their hind legs to make it just they way they wanted it :wink: Obviously my bed making wasnt up to their standards!! :roll:

souffle
01-16-2008, 03:06 PM
New hammies often do odd things till they settle. Dwarfs do like to dig and pile bedding we find and they really appreciate a very deep layer of litter to tunnel in. Ours also like ripped tissues and drag them around. :lol:

babyboos
01-16-2008, 04:49 PM
My new Campbell hamster Chutney has decided that he doesn't want any bedding anywhere in his cage instead he wants it all piled in the corner. So, he pushes it all into the corner with his back legs then goes in it and hides. Why does he do this?

Hamsters are all great interior designers, just sometimes their idea of chic looks like something Lawrence dreamed up and not the lovely aesthetic arrangemernt we give them each clean out. Best thing is to leave him to it and make sure to give him some hidey spaces if he feels the need to cover himself up, and keep the area well cleaned out each week, as pee and poo and decomposing food will build up in this corner. A nice house in a corner may attract him, especially if you pop someof his old litter in it so it has his familiar smell. I saw some great triangular shaped houses which fit very neatly into a corner but can't remember where, nor have I seen them recently, I may go have a look on eBay....

poohbearhamsty
01-21-2008, 12:34 PM
My hammies love to bury in their fluff or sawdust they used to always pile their fluff in the wheel but then they moved it and now they sleep at the back of the cage.....they look so cute :D