PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie and his/gender issues :S

starog
12-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Ronnie is my chinese hamster, I got him around 10 days ago. I was told he was a boy but he's not looking like one and I thought it would be super easy to tell :confused:

I've guesstimated his age to be around 6 - 8 weeks.

I don't know if it's just me being super silly and blind but aren't he manly bits meant to be a fair size now? :oops:

P@H aren't brilliant at sexing hamster I know, but shouldn't chinese be easy to identify? The guy said he had chinese hamsters (he was telling stories of his so I'm certain he wasn't lying) so I thought he would be able to spot a male hamster when he saw one.

At what age will it become super obvious if he's a boy or should it be by now? :rolleyes:

LocoRocoPanda
12-23-2011, 05:03 PM
He's around the same age as Enigma who has quite...prominent man bits now. :mad:

It should be really obvious. Sounds to me like you've got a girly.

Aizen was about 4 months old when this was taken...

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h387/Detective-Prince/Hammies/DSC00412.jpg

emilyweb
12-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I had exactly the same problem with Kai, I'm about 90% sure she's a girl now thought. :)

starog
12-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Oh he isn't looking half the size of your beautiful boy!

This is a picture I got last night, not brilliant but maybe you can tell? He isn't up for side poses yet :mad:

starog
12-23-2011, 05:17 PM
I had exactly the same problem with Kai, I'm about 90% sure she's a girl now thought. :)

I was reading that about one! I'm pleased Kai almost has a gender! ;)

Hamtastic
12-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Looks like a girl to me... :D I keep seeing more extended pointed back ends on boys on photos from the top.

LocoRocoPanda
12-23-2011, 05:23 PM
That looks like a girl to me. :)

starog
12-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Hahaha "my little lady" is going to take some getting used to, hope she doesn't mind "my little man" occasionally, it's a hard habit to break :mad:

Thanks for clearing that one up, been puzzling me for days! Glad I picked a unisex name now :D

racinghamster
12-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Definately looks like you were sold a female starog! Pets At Home strike again eh? :rolleyes:

However, it`s definately not the end of the world and to be honest, females do seem to be the friendlier of the genders. I keep reading that people who have male chinese that they tend to be nippier, but maybe that`s just coincidence. Males hamsters are my preference usually, but since having Prinny, it wouldn`t matter to me really if I had a male or a female chinese. Only the males come with the rear end baggage, as you can clearly see from Locos photo! :mad:

So is Ronnie keeping `her` name? ;) Ronnie can be a girls name aswell!

souffle
12-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Some do take longer to mature than others. Dommy Bob definitely looked quite rounded at the back till he was about 10 weeks. How close are the vents when you turn the little one over?
Wait a little longer and try feeling round the rump for any swelling there. Gorgeous hammy never the less :)

starog
12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
RH - I really don't mind either way! he/she will be loved what ever gender they turn out to be :). They were the only one in the shop so I didn't have a choice, I was told it was a boy and figured it should be obvious to tell so left it at that. Typical P@H!

I was going to change the name since it reminded me of a girl I used to go to school with and she was a big meany haha but I'll think I'll wait till I'm 100% on gender :rolleyes:
When I think he/she's a male, I think of Ronnie O'Sullivan the snooker player so that was fine.

Souffle - In that case I'll give it some time before giving the little sweetie a gender. I'll have an investigate when they wake and try to take a picture. Thank you, I think he/she's stunning :D

Vectis Hamstery
12-27-2011, 09:05 AM
That looks female from above, but as Souff mentioned, have a look at the vents. I had a male with undescended testicles who looked female from above but definitely male from underneath until about 7 months old. There are pics of him on my website in the how to sex Chinese hamsters section ;) Look for if there is fur between the vents - I've found that girls' can look far apart when they're small (not as far as they boys are, but that's tricky if you don't have a boy right there to compare!) , but there's no fur between them.