PDA

View Full Version : Wherever you're going, wait for me........

Louise
12-19-2011, 03:35 PM
My male syrian, Fred, passed away 17/12/11 on Sunday evening. I had only popped out for about an hour, and when I came back he was lying in the bottom of his cage. He looked so peaceful, just like he had fallen asleep. So I try to console myself that he didnt die in any pain. But I dont know what he came out for, or why he died. It makes me sad to think that maybe he knew his time was up, and so he came out to say goodbye, but I wasnt there for him :( :( :(

He was almost two years old, my second hamster that Ive had. I remember I got him roundabout the same time of year, near christmas. So he came to me at christmas, and decided to leave at christmas. I got him from the pets at home adoption centre, the reason he was in the adoption centre was because he had a finger missing, which you can see in one of the pictures. I remember seeing him in his glass tank, going through his food bowl for his stores, and distinctly remember him only pouching the banana chips that were in there!

He was such a friendly hamster, he loved attention, and was always coming to the front of his cage door to say hello when he woke up. He was quite stubborn too, he decided when it was his out time, not me! Usually when I sat down with a book to read or watch something on the TV! He'd let me know by biting on the bars of his cage.
He loved his Sputnik, and his Igloo.....his most favourite foods in the whole wide world were Broccoli and Chicken.

He lived a very happy life, but a couple of months ago he became very ill, he was so weak that he had difficulty feeding himself and getting a drink. But he didnt want to leave, he was being so brave and trying so hard to do all his usual routine. We had many a trip to the vets, for injections and courses of baytril, and I spent lots of time trying to nurse him back to health. He became so weak that I thought I was gonna lose him, he couldnt even move to go to toilet, so often ended up wetting himself. So we had daily bed changes, and a quick clean up, I had to hand feed him, and give him his baytril each morning and night, during which time he became addicted to Ribena! lol This went on for over a month, and he started to get stronger and was eventually back to his normal self. The vet never was sure what he suffered from, but strongly suspected meningitis.

Im so glad the last few months of his life were healthy and happy, and that he didnt die during the time he was seriously ill. But I guess the illness did take a huge toll on his body though, perhaps he would have lived a little longer otherwise, who knows?

His last night he asked for some out time, and spent a good half hour or so climbing all over the sofa, and burrowing underneath the cushions, one of his favourite things to do. Just before I put him back in his home, I took him to see the christmas tree I had put up that day, and he tried to grab a bit of tinsel, the little scamp! He also had a bit of chicken before I went to bed, a very rare treat, but one of his all time favourites.
So Im glad his last night was a happy one, and we spent some proper time together.
I miss you so much Fred xxx

TraceyH
12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, he was a gorgeous looking ham.

Lougarry
12-19-2011, 03:51 PM
What a lovely little face! Sleep well, Fred xx

AngelAmes
12-19-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear this
He looked so gorgeous and was obviously really well loved
Play well at the bridge little one

KatiePillow
12-19-2011, 04:08 PM
He sounds like a lovely hamster, and I'm sure he died in no pain, he probably didn't even know what happened, just that he was suddenly running at the bridge, and wasn't limited by his old age.

Rest in Peace Fred xx

Pompompoms
12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
What an absolute cutie, that face is adorable! It sounds to me that Fred had a lovely life with you filled with great care and love which is all a ham can ask for. It seems his passing was quick, and I imagine he knew nothing of it, play well little man with all our dearly missed friends xx

Teddybearhamster420
12-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Im so sorry. What a great life it seems he had. RIP little fellow. :( xxx

LoveMyHams
12-19-2011, 07:17 PM
I teared up reading his story. I'm very glad he had a wonderful last night with you.

Shaedde
12-19-2011, 11:17 PM
He is so beautiful. Sleep well darling

souffle
12-19-2011, 11:46 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like a great little character.
Play well at the bridge Fred x

LawaRawr
12-20-2011, 03:32 AM
im so sorry , play well at the bridge little fred.
he seemed to be a lovely little boy. he will be now be able to find alot of hamsters who he can play with at the bridge x

starbug
12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
What a little cutie he was. Play well, little man.

MummyofMonkey
12-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

You can rest easy knowing you gave him a fantastic life and he was very much loved.

Sterluv
01-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, it's always hard. It sounds like he had a good life with you. What a beautiful face he had!

Jodzie04
01-02-2012, 12:01 PM
What a little cutie! I had a tear in my eye while reading this, he sounds like he was such a lovely hamster xx

Mona's Humans
01-02-2012, 12:53 PM
He sounds like he was a great character. I am glad he spent his last night doing all of his favourite things.

Run free Fred :) x