PDA

View Full Version : Hamsters and colds

Catja
01-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Hi, I've come down with a head cold am I right in thinking I shouldn't go near the hamsters for the next couple of days.

Was a bit annoyed to get it as we have only just got Desi, Algy and Mishka but assume they will be okay not handled alot for the next couple of days, and that our hard work will not be undone.

Assume I am better keeping out of the room entirely and getting OH to do the feeding etc?

suga
01-11-2008, 09:31 AM
I've never taken a chance with a cold or any illness - some people say you can pass it on - others say you can't. I guess either way if you stay away you will minimise any chance of germs getting caught. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Spuds Mum
01-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I've always not handled, but have spent time in the hamster room, and fed them, basically because sometimes there's no-one else to do it.
I don't know what lengths you should go to, I just prefer not to take any more than necessary chances.

souffle
01-11-2008, 12:32 PM
They can definitly catch the virus. We will feed and water if we have to ie. if everyone has it but try to stay out of the hammy room and not sneeze and cough in there for sure or handle the hams. They dont miss up to about ten days so comfort yourself by saying they are having rest days! Better safe than sorry

Catja
01-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for that. OH is up there feeding now and I am staying well away!

Holly
01-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Well I've always fed mine when I'm ill, largely because there is no one else to do it if I don't (unless Will is around)......I'm careful, wash my hands before, make sure I don't sneeze on them and try not to breathe on them etc - and they've not caught anything from me yet.

I don't handle them though - and, rather typically, I got ill when my litter were two weeks old and handling could begin - so my son and nephew handled my first litter for the first few days without me :(

Catja
01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
I was going to leave them tonight as OH had fed them and cleaned Algy out but at 10:30pm OH suddenly got up and next minute all hamsters were out, OH relishing the fact he could handle them alone I think :D

souffle
01-12-2008, 01:25 PM
I hope you are feeling better Catya. OH is hooked :wink: :wink: :wink: What was his report on how the newbies are doing? He will be hamster tamer extraordinaire soon :lol:

poohbearhamsty
01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I have always fed and gave my hammies water i just try to keep away from them and try not to sneeze on them and they have never cought anything so far ........ :)