PDA

View Full Version : cage expansion

Matty Day
01-10-2008, 03:37 PM
As I bought Aphrodite a new cage I thought I had to treat Athena as well lets say I bought her some more toys. However her cage is now looking over crowded.

As her cage is a wire one I thought the best way to add more space it by building a new level can anyone give me any tips.

souffle
01-10-2008, 04:43 PM
I dont know about building levels but you can get FOP adaptors which attach to the doors and you could then run tubes to maybe a bin cage,

Pouchy
01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Be warned. From my own experience FOP adaptors do not fit all makes of cages. You can use them on FOP cages (duh) and they will fit Pennine cages like I have but NOT Ferplast cages (mine anyway) as the doors are a bit larger than the other two makes. Can't tell about IMAC as don't own one of those cages. My syrian has a good tunnel set up now using the FOP adaptors and crittertrail tubes on the Pennine rat starter cage.

Holly
01-11-2008, 12:05 PM
I use the FOP adaptors very successfully on doors that are actually too large for them by using giant bulldog clips to hold the sides in place. I've had no escapes or mishaps in the past year - I can get a photo if amyone needs to know how to do it.

Hanlou
01-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Otherwise you can buy Ferplast tube connectors, I cut a Savic Cambridge and added one of these very easily.

You can see it in this pic (this set up is for spiny mice):

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Hanlou10/Spiny%20Mice/P1000110-1.jpg

You can usually buy them Here (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/x-part-ferplast-network-attatchment.html) but she's awaiting stock at the moment. :D

Cages are scarily easy to cut, I just used a cheap pair of wire cutters. You can buy bungs as well (in fact one comes with the connector/adapter thing) so you can use your cage on it's own if you need to as well. I'm no DIY whizz, so if I can do it anyone can! It fitted to the bars perfectly after I'd made a circular hole and as it fits with the plastic on the outside of the hole, there are no sharp edges to worry about.

Matty Day
01-11-2008, 02:44 PM
no need there is no way that i would have enough space because of my breeding plans. anyway problem solved I found some extremely long ladders at a pet shop which should be able to reach across meaning that I can add another 25cm2 of cage space.