PDA

View Full Version : Downgrading Kodi?

Elliriyanna
12-10-2011, 01:16 PM
So Most of you have seen my Boy Kodi's Massive cage. However I noticed Lately he just sleeps a lot and really doesnt use the space at least not more than the top level. Usually this would not matter However my other dwarf Nami NEEDS more space her bin is 27 inches x 16 inches ( 68.58 cm x 40.64cm) so its not small she is just VERY active. They would Simply switch Cages Nami into Kodi's cage Kodi into hers.

What would you do? I feel bad downgrading him but he really only uses the Two crittertrails at this point.

What would you do? Kodi is only a year old is it too soon to be downgrading him?

kyrilliondaemon
12-10-2011, 01:51 PM
In your case I'd just make the switch (after cleaning everything first to try and stop it smelling of the hamster leaving it).
I'd feel horrible, but if Kodi doesn't want or need the space and Nami does, it's either swap cages or sort out a bigger cage for Nami, which seems a bit silly when you've got most of one going spare already.

Oh and personally I won't be relying on age to determine when to downgrade/upgrade our hamsters. I'll be judging it entirely on how much space they use or seem to need.

I'm sure once you make the switch you'll be more sure it was the right thing to do.

Alternatively - Can you add parts of Kodi's cage to Nami's?
If so you could maybe make the switch but let Kodi keep his favourite bit for a while, see if he wanted it or not. Then if he didn't you could add that to what Nami had if she seemed likely to appreciate it.
(Or you could just add the parts he doesn't use to hers, but I don't know how easy/difficult that would be)

fluffymunchkins
12-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't see that as a problem, especiall as he isn't using the space :)
I downgraded my robo from a zoozone2 to a gabber rex, though she was very old and wobbly!

What cage is Kodi in?

StarlightSerenity
12-10-2011, 02:27 PM
If he isn't using the space but your other hamster would use it then I'd say definately swap them :D

Elliriyanna
12-10-2011, 10:50 PM
I cant attach parts of Kodi's cage to nami's since she just as the bin. I was going to let Kodi keep his Ovo den since its his main nest.

And Kodi is in this ... Well this is the old set up but the new is essentially the same just better.
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab297/elliriyanna/Hammies/Kodi/DSCN2176.jpg

Katty_Sheldon
12-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Yes, I think you can at least give it a try! Just try to switch most of his old bedding in the "new" cage, to trick him into thinking he is all in the old space and everything is without change as much as possible, so he would not be disturbed so much. Some hamsters love a little change - if he is like that, then just leave a little bit of old bedding... but you probably know this, good luck!

Elliriyanna
12-11-2011, 10:24 AM
My hamsters actually dont care so I just gave him his nest and put him straight in her cage and her straight in his both just dont care if they were high strung or easily stressed I would have completely cleaned the cages but Kodi is a very clean boy Nami hasnt shown any signs of stress and Kodi just did his usual sniff everything but he does that in his own cage lol.

Shaedde
12-19-2011, 02:22 AM
elli, what tubes did you use in that two tier cage to the far right? Rocky is a dwarf and the original tube us too big for him

Mikayla
12-19-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm downgrading Phoebe when my ZZ gets here. She's in an 80 x 50 cage ATM (She's a robo) but she escaped a few days ago, she loves the space but I can't keep her in it. So she's going to a zoozone.