PDA

View Full Version : Autumn

Onion
12-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately when I went to get Autumn out for her evening play time I found her passed on. She was only around 12 weeks old, and I feel our time together was far too short. From the beginning she was inquisitive and loving, and never sat still for more than a second resulting in blurred pictures more often than not.

Her and her sister were the first robo's I ever owned, and they came to me from an accidental litter. The plan was always to find them a new home, but I became really attached to Autumn and within a couple of days I couldn't bear to let her go!

I'm waffling now but needless to say I'm devastated. I knew her a month but she will always be with me. I'm going to bury her in a tea box with plenty of tissue and her cage label on the front.

R.I.P little one, it was far too soon.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2d100p5.jpg

sully
12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
I keep reading about hamsters being cold and stiff and looking dead but are only hibernating, i dont like to ask but was she definately dead.Hugs x

Found this online but was about syrian.....> quote] yahoo answers question Hibernating hamster look very much like they're dead. They've fooled quite a few expert breeders, including myself. There are also tons of stories of a dead hamster coming back to life.

Syrian hamsters can hibernate at 60 degrees. That's it. Just think of how cool your house can be in the winter. All you need is a cold spot on the floor or by a window and a hamster can easily hibernate. The dwarf species do not hibernate so if you have a dwarf, it's dead.

A hibernating Syrian will only have three heartbeats a minute and take one breath every two minutes. They are very cold to the touch but are somewhat flexible, though if you let go of them, they will slowly draw back into a ball.

Never place a hibernating Syrian near a heat source or on a hot water bottle- Never. This will cause the hamster to go into shock and it will die. I have tried this myself with five hibernating hamsters and they all died. I have had the most luck with putting some warm juice in an eyedropper. I hold the hamster sideways and use the dropper to squirt a tiny bit of warm juice on the hamsters tongue and let it run out the other side. It is important that the juice runs out of its mouth or else it could be inhaled, causing the hamster to suffocate. I do this for a couple of minutes. Usually I will start to see the tongue move. The best is when I see the hamster swallow four or five times. When I see the hamster swallow a few times, I'll but it back into the cage in a pile of fresh food. Within the next 15-30 minutes the hamster is out of it, though still a bit wobbly.

If you can't get the hamster to swallow or don't see any tongue movement try again in half an hour. Keep trying. I've never had a hamster hibernate and come out of it on their own. The ones I have hibernate that I don't "pull" out of hibernation all die. Another breeder has observed the same thing though we both know two other breeders that have their hamsters come out of it on their own. One of the breeders who hamsters come out of hibernation just fine has also noted that the hibernating hamsters are stiff, though I've never observed this.quote]
Hope i didnt offend!

Onion
12-09-2011, 03:00 PM
She was a robo, and yes she was dead.

Mona's Humans
12-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm really sorry for your loss - she was such a cute little hammy. x

emilyweb
12-09-2011, 03:19 PM
oh I'm so sorry for your loss xx Play well at the bridge wee one xxx

Pompompoms
12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Oh tiny girl, I'm sorry you were here for such a short time, you were very much loved.

Onion I'm sorry so you lost her, the babies are so hard to accept passing, I lost two at a few days, and one at ten days this year and it was tough. There was nothing you could have done, for whatever reason she was too precious to be here for a long time.

I have a little family of robos at the bridge that will welcome her in xx

Onion
12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks everyone, I have been pretty upset all day but cuddles from the others helped. She was such a beautiful personality. It will be hard for a while thats for sure.

Eleanor
12-10-2011, 03:10 AM
I'm so sorry :(
I know how you feel having a hammie die young, it's so sad D:

Elliriyanna
12-10-2011, 11:31 AM
I am so sorry for your loss :( Its always hard when Hamsters go young But you gave her a good life and she knows she was loved.

Off Topic

Hamsters dont *hibernate* they are from the desert when they are too cold they unnaturally shut down Hibernation is something animals choose to do and that their bodies are built for

sully
12-11-2011, 10:45 AM
She was a robo, and yes she was dead.
Yes i knew she wasnt a syrian, just the info i found was on a syrian, im sorry, i was just trying to help.

Sterluv
12-12-2011, 06:54 PM
So sorry for your loss. :(
I buried mine outside my window in the rosebed.

souffle
12-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Play well at the bridge Autumn xx