PDA

View Full Version : 3 Tier Cage review

solange
12-07-2011, 03:14 AM
I love this burgundy cage - it has three floors and so many activity stations for my hammy. I have a log house with toilet paper and a plumbing joint under the first floor bedding. Graybo can come and go through the tube, without the Aspen bedding collapsing. This cage has two doors - one on the ground level and another on the top 3rd level (roof level).

http://www.transporting.to/Hammies/Graybo_HammyCage800.jpg

vanilla-yazoo
12-07-2011, 06:24 AM
umm ^^' you might want to cover the wire level with a grass mat or card, continuous use can cause bumblefoot, an iritation to the feet causing cuts and swelling,
what type of hamster lives in here?

but it looks like a really nice set up! your ham is very spoilt! XD look at the treats on the shelf hehe!! mine are spoilt too :D

solange
12-07-2011, 11:27 PM
vanilla-yazoo wrote: umm you might want to cover the wire level with a grass mat or card, continuous use can cause bumblefoot, an iritation to the feet causing cuts and swelling. what type of hamster lives in here?

<< Solange >> I have only had two Russian Dwarf hamsters in this cage to date - and neither spend that much time up there on the wire mesh. But good observation, nonetheless. I could make up some cardboard to cover it for now, but where you you find a safe grass mat?

Graybo - the little guy in front of this cage (http://www.transporting.to/Hammies/Graybo_HammyCage800.jpg), is who currently lives in it.

Lougarry
12-08-2011, 12:48 AM
How about this?
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Toys+%252526+Fun+Things.6/Chill+n+Chew+Mat.467.html

solange
12-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the ideas! I will go shopping this weekend to find the perfect grass mat. My list is growing. These little guys are soooo addicting! Cute little furry faces...how can we not be mesmerized!? :-x

solange
12-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I finally upgraded this 3 tier cage, to include many suggestions given in this section. I found the grass mat in Canada...but haven't ordered yet.

I added thick cardboard flooring to the two upper levels. The middle level is now a completed full living space - no longer a staggered half shelf. Several hideaway huts were added, along with toys, treats and foods hidden in piles of aspen bedding on this level.

I also added a sand bath on the bottom level, as well as increased the running wheel size with a 6.5" Silent Spinner. It only fits in the front of the cage, due to the above level ceiling height restrictions.

http://transporting.to/Hammies/Dec2011_ReDesign-GrayboCage.jpg

Bonus! Graybo is potty trained! He uses a small bowl (in corner across from the wheel) that he likes to sit in - and doesn't soil the rest of his cage. Easy to remove and clean. How cool is that!?

racinghamster
12-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Making the floors solid to walk on will help solange. Hamsters have trouble trying to walk on barred surfaces, so your little one should notice a difference and probably use the space more now. :)

When I used to use tiered cages for my mice, I would always have the main food dish and water bottle on the ground floor. Mainly because if the hamster takes ill during the night for any reason, they don`t need to climb up to another level to eat or drink, so personally, I would move your wheel to the back of the ground floor (hence you will be able to see Graybo running!) and place yor water bottle where the wheel currently is and a food dish beside it. You could also have another bottle on the upper level incase one fails to work. It`s a safety net really, but also, you can still have some food on a higher shelf or just some treats, but the dish and bottle are better placed within easy reach on the ground level.

Your hamsters are lovely and well loved. :)

solange
12-22-2011, 12:00 PM
When I used to use tiered cages for my mice, I would always have the main food dish and water bottle on the ground floor. Mainly because if the hamster takes ill during the night for any reason, they don`t need to climb up to another level to eat or drink. (( S )) Well he seems to feel that a dish of food on the ground level --- should be his potty! He has commandeered that food dish for a bathroom. I am pleased at how much easier it is to clean since he confines that behavior to an enclosed area.... but was horrified to see him munching the same food he was soiling. OMG. This is beyond hind gut behavior.

I would move your wheel to the back of the ground floor (hence you will be able to see Graybo running!) and place yor water bottle where the wheel currently is and a food dish beside it.
(( S )) The larger wheel will not fit anywhere but the front of the cage. This cage has a low ceiling and came with a smaller wheel that fits anywhere. I could probably put it back in there, because it appears he doesn't exercise anyway! Can you believe it? A hamster who doesn't run in a wheel? I have cleared out many a bed that he has made in the wheel. LOL. ---Which is why I justify making him walk upstairs to do some major eating. Other than coming out of the cage to socialize, it is the only other exercise he gets! I have sprinkled food around in the wood shavings, so he isn't completely without food down there. I just added a really small cup down there....will have to watch and see if he turns it into a toilet!!

You could also have another bottle on the upper level incase one fails to work. It`s a safety net really, but also, you can still have some food on a higher shelf or just some treats, but the dish and bottle are better placed within easy reach on the ground level.
(( S )) I'll add another bottle upstairs to see if it makes any difference to him. It may be overkill on the water.

Thanks for your input! Solange

kyrilliondaemon
12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
One of ours stopped running - It may be a sign of a behavioural (or other) problem developing, just to let you know to watch out for stuff.
With ours it was the first sign that the bar chewing was getting out of hand.

Skeekers
12-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I have the same cage for Twix, she loves it.

racinghamster
12-23-2011, 02:07 AM
Thing is, the wheel needs to be big enough or the hamster won`t use it. This is possibly why he makes a nest in it. ;) Also, if it`s too big for the cage or won`t turn because the level above isn`t allowing that, the cage needs to be adapted so that your wheel fits. Maybe just having one upper shelf would allow better wheel use?

If the wheel fits at the front, it will fit at the back surely? It`s the same space/height?

solange
12-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Thing is, the wheel needs to be big enough or the hamster won`t use it. This is possibly why he makes a nest in it. ;)
....If the wheel fits at the front, it will fit at the back surely? It`s the same space/height?

Actually, when I extended out the second level, I angled it up a little, so that it would clear the wheel in front of the cage. So no, the second level is a different space/height from the front to the back - to accomodate a medium sized Silent Spinner anywhere up front. About 1/2" or so difference.