PDA

View Full Version : PEPSI UPDATE

jayne
01-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi everyone,

Thought i would start a new topic seen as the other one was kinda 2 stories in 1!! :lol:

So a little update...

Have not long come back from the vets..... unfortunately it is wet tail and i have been given Baytril, to be given twice a day.

Pepsi has had first taste of it tonight and i have now left him alone in his cage to have a wee sleep. He was great with the vet, she picked him up and looked at him and said it was more likely wet tail as his bum was dirty and smelly.
She gave him a wee clean, which i will do also, and it was a kind of luminous greeny colour :shock: She did say to call Pets at Home to let them know about it seen as i only got him on Sunday so have done that and i am currently waiting on a manager calling me back :roll:

Was also advised after giving him the baytril to fill up the syringe with some diluted ribena or apple juice to help it get down. Also to keep an eye on his eating/drinking and if he isnt eating to get some slightly warm water, honey and oats and to blend it and give him it through another bigger syringe she gave me.

I can only help him along now and be there for him and just pray that he gets through the next couple of days. The vet said he doesnt seem too dehydrated, his eyes arent quite as bright as they should be but just keep checking on him.

souffle
01-09-2008, 12:19 PM
All good wishes for a speedy recovery for little Pepsi. Often new babies get this due to stress when they move to a new home. You have gotten him early and his chances will be good now. Maybe this sounds stupid but we had this happen once and made a chicken broth with rice, chicken and a little carrot boiled up. He loved it and you know what he survived too! If he won't eat I would try anything to get them to take food and this worked for us.

Spuds Mum
01-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Best wishes to little Pepsi for a return to full health. I am sure he is getting excellent care from you.
God bless x

Faye
01-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Poor little chap :( - I really hope that the baytril does the trick!

Basia
01-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that little Pepsi is ill. Sending all my positive thoughts and hope he makes a full recovery.

Holly
01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Aww bless him - I really hope, as you've caught it early, he'll be ok. Sending positive thoughts to little Pepsi.

Catja
01-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Kretchers, Desi, Mishka, Algy and I all send our love to the little man and hope he gets well soon! You caught it early and hopefully he will do well.

Have a restful night.

babyboos
01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
oh Jayne I do hope he picks up and you get a call back tomorrow from the P@H manager - he should pay for the treatment - little comfort but it will give you the opportunity to buy some nice treats for Pepsi when he is all better.

Apple puree/sauce is delicious and nutricious for poorly hamsters and good for upset tummies - hence why you should flavour the Baytril with apple juice if your hamster finds it unpalatable, though most seem to take it no bother. I make my own and the same recipe I give to my baby now for his sweet as I basically pop two apples in the microwave for a minute and then scoop out the flesh and voila, good to go. For extra sweetness I sometimes scoop out the middle and add dried fruit, and for a runnier texture a little eater or apple juice! If you need to syringe it in then runier will be easier.

chase
01-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Really hope Pepsi makes a speedy recovery. Best whishes :(

jayne
01-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Thanks everyone! Your comments are appreciated :)

I have just given him his first lot for today and some water after it as he doesnt seem to be drinking or eating for that matter.
I will get some apples and do just that babyboos, thanks very much for that wee tip :wink:

Well, no one called me back last night but as persistent as i am, i called this morning. Manager has agreed to pay my vet bill for me, so will be going there shortly to get that sorted :) Manager was ok, at first i thought he was going to be awkward as he asked me what i expected him to do!! So i just told him exactly what the vet had said and he said no bother, just bring along the receipts.

Back to Pepsi, He seems ok going by the fact when he hears me he comes out of bed and wanders around. Although he seems to go in to a particular corner of the cage and hunches over making these really weird noises, almost like hes eating something crunchy, but not if you know what i mean :? Sometimes it changes and its like a chattering noise, like hes cold and his teeth are chattering together.

I am off now to get the refund of bill and get some apples, i just hope he takes it ok.

Oh, one more thing, is it ok to hld him by his scruff when picking himup? The vet done this and just wondered. Will also try holding him with a towel wheni feed him the apple, so hes nice and cosy! :wink:

jayne
01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Gave Pepsi his 2nd helping of baytril about 2hrs ago then gave him some of the apple, which i kind of had to force on him but he did open his mouth for it and munched on it for a minute :D
After this he went into a corner (not his bed) and slept on and off in a little ball.
Just walked past his cage to see him up on the 1st platform and running on his wheel :D
I'm taking this as a good sign :o
I also gave him another clean after the whole medication thing and then gave him the apple as a kind of treat. Held him in the towel which i dont think he liked as he kept clawing and biting the towel :shock:

Holly
01-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Running on his wheel sounds positive, I am keeping everything crossed for him.

jayne
01-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Back to Pepsi, He seems ok going by the fact when he hears me he comes out of bed and wanders around. Although he seems to go in to a particular corner of the cage and hunches over making these really weird noises, almost like hes eating something crunchy, but not if you know what i mean :? Sometimes it changes and its like a chattering noise, like hes cold and his teeth are chattering together.

Oh, one more thing, is it ok to hld him by his scruff when picking himup? The vet done this and just wondered. Will also try holding him with a towel wheni feed him the apple, so hes nice and cosy! :wink:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the 'chattering' noise could be? Hes been doing it again today after i had him out for his medication but this time i saw his face and his whole head/mouth was shaking while doing this noise :shock: Positive hes not got anything in his mouth that he could be crunching on so dont know what the crunchy noise is :?

I appreciate everyone helping me with this, I am still pretty worried for the wee guy and hope he will start eating and drinking soon. I have loads of toys for him to play with when he gets better *fingers crossed*

Catja
01-11-2008, 11:57 AM
I believe teeth chattering is usually a sign of annoyance, for instance if I get Kretchmer out of her cage and do something she doesn't like, then she starts chattering her teeth at me until I stop doing it. This is usually related to her wanting to go in the opposite direction when running hand to hand, or a noise she doesn't like or a smell, so you may be cooking something in the kitchen and you take her in there and she will teeth chatter until I take her somewhere else.

Algy when I first started handling him would teeth chatter because he was nervous and unhappy. Every time he started this I put him down and we progressed like this and now he has stopped.

I think Pepsi and Algy are twins, even their behaviour is identical, so I would say in this case myabe he is just saying, leave me alone, I don't want to be handled!

Spuds Mum
01-12-2008, 02:39 AM
They do chatter and chunter when annoyed/cross or stressed. I'm sure that Pepsi is probably feeling all three at the moment bless him (males of any species usually aren't good patients are they? :roll: ) but, to be honest, I'd take it as a little bitof a hopeful sign - he has the energy to complain.
You can hold them by the scruff of the neck to pick them up - it wont hurt them, but to be honest - none of mine like it!
Vets I think do this to make sure that teeth and hands stay away from each other as much as possible!
The only time I do this is when checking my hamsters mouth/teeth or when sometimes you have to keep them totally still (medicines etc.) so don't feel too bad if this is what you have to do to give Pepsi his meds - you will be able to have lots of proper cuddles when he feels better!
Hang in there Pepsi - sounds like you are doing well! :D

jayne
01-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks for your messages.

Being annoyed/stressed sounds about right. He is so young looking and this is obviously a streddful time for him. He only seems to do it right after i've gave his medicine and cleaned him.
On the up side, he was running in his wheel for a good 30minutes last night, about 15minutes after he had his medicine :) Kept stopping and oooking over at me as if to say 'see, i'm fine! no need for medicine!!' :lol: Plus, i was really relieved to see him going for a drink at his bottle twice last night. He still isnt eating though, i have so far offered him apple puree, honey and oats and some of his food mix. He hasnt even bothered sniffing it or shwon any interest in it.

I have some baby courgettes, will these be ok to try and if so, raw or cooked?

Spuds Mum
01-12-2008, 10:01 AM
The only thing I would worry about is if he has still got his diarrhoea to be honest with fresh foods having the higher water content.
mine love courgettes so I am sure they will be fine if you decide to give him some, either raw or cooked. (if he wasn't drinking I'd say cooked to get some more fluids in him, but as he is - raw may be better).
Is his tail end looking a bit less sore? Fingers crossed it is.
The other thing I would suggest (though I am no expert or vet) is maybe a little bit of a jar of human baby food? We do this for our little pups etc. and it goes down well.

jayne
01-12-2008, 10:14 AM
The only thing I would worry about is if he has still got his diarrhoea to be honest with fresh foods having the higher water content.
mine love courgettes so I am sure they will be fine if you decide to give him some, either raw or cooked. (if he wasn't drinking I'd say cooked to get some more fluids in him, but as he is - raw may be better).
Is his tail end looking a bit less sore? Fingers crossed it is.
The other thing I would suggest (though I am no expert or vet) is maybe a little bit of a jar of human baby food? We do this for our little pups etc. and it goes down well.

Yes, he still has diarrhoea. Having to clean him in the morning and at night after his medicine.
I wondered if it being cooked would be too watery, will put a bit of raw courgette in and see if he takes it. Hes just not taking any interest, hopefully though, like the drinking, he will come round and start eating again.
I'm also assuming that because hes not eating, hes not done any solid poos and its all been diarrhoea :?
His bedding isnt badly soiled and i'm removing the few bits that are. Other than the smell his cage is fairly clean!!

Spuds Mum
01-12-2008, 10:22 AM
poor little lamb. Thank goodness he came home with you rather than someone who wouldnt have taken such great care of him!

souffle
01-12-2008, 01:48 PM
He must be eating some food or else he would not have the energy to run Jayne so that is positive. The baby food is a good suggestion and maybe a little plain live yogurt might help. I hope he gets well soon.

jayne
01-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks, i will certainly try both of those suggestions.
I tried the courgette, not interested, just stared right at it and chattered his teeth again :?
As you say souffle, if he is running in his wheel he must be getting energy from somewhere. I just dont know where as he hasnt touched any food and doesnt have any stored in his cage anywhere.

Nicolapompicola
01-13-2008, 07:53 AM
have you tried him with porridge/baby rice with a little bit of honey added?

jayne
01-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Nicola - thanks, but i have tried the oats and honey thing.

I hate to say it but Pepsi is now looking worse :cry:
Went home on my break from work to give him his baytril and daily clean. He took ages to come out of bed and when he eventually did it was a realy effort. He waddled and limped out and he dragged his rear along as his back right leg wasnt moving much.
I gently picked him up and onto a towel so i didnt need to hold him by the scruff, he shaked and trembled and it was clear he was in a bad way. I could feel his whole body shaking and his eyes were barely open, i place him back in his cage and let him be.
I am thinking i will just leave him and give him rest now, i didnt want to stress him out anymore by going through the whole medication/cleaning process.
My OH says i have done all i can for him and just let him go in his own time :cry:
Is this ok to do or would it be best to take him to the vet again?

Spuds Mum
01-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh Jayne, how upsetting. I was really hoping that Pepsi may soon turn the corner. Only you can decide really whether another trip to the vets is appropriate, it sounds as though, from what you say, that the vet would maybe help ease Pepsi's passing, but it really is your decision whether that would be better for him.
I can only tell you that I personally, probably would take him to the vets, for two reasons. Firstly, in case any thing extra can be done to help, and if not, to give him a gentle end to his short life, but also to document the actions you have taken/what poor Pepsi has had to go through and approach the pet store manager again?
My thoughts are with you, OH and Pepsi. I'm so glad he found a home with as much love and care, even if it ends up being for such a short time. x

jayne
01-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Yes, think a trip to the vets will be called for tomorrow. Hopefully will get an appointment before i head to work.
I hate seeing him like this and as much as i want to help him, giving him the baytril will only cause more stress to him.
He is exactly where i left him, curled up in his corner, hasnt even made it back to his bed :(

Basia
01-13-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Pepsi is not doing too well. Wet tail is not easy to cure unfortunately.
You have given him all the love and care a sick little hamster could wish for. Hopefully the vet will be able to help him but if not at least you have tried your best.

Holly
01-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Poor little Pepsi, you have done everything you could for him, Jayne - it's all so unfair. If only all hamsters could be looked after as well as you have done before we bring them home then this wouldn't happen.

Make him a comfy bed around where he is lying now and let him know you are there until you can get him back to the vet. I've got everything crossed for you both.