PDA

View Full Version : A new angel - Conker

suga
01-07-2008, 09:03 AM
With much sadness I must tell that our beautiful girl left us on Saturday morning. Conker came to live with us as a “well done for not crying too much at the dentist” back in September 05. My husband told me to get the one moving the most and Conker was scrambling at the tank trying to get out. She caught my attention and became a welcome addition to our house.

She was poorly in the summer of 06 with a cold type thing and I thought we may lose her – which actually brought me to the forum for help. After weeks of sleeping on the floor next to her cage and giving her medication and care she made a recovery. She had relapses over her life but she was a fighter and kept coming back for more life.

The last couple of days she has been a bit quieter – not trying to escape quite so much when she was out for a snuggle, although not enough to worry us. On Saturday my husband came down and saw her eating in the corner. She didn’t respond when he spoke to her – which was strange as she was very inquisitive and when I came down a little while later she was listing on her side. I think she must have had a stroke as she was unable to move. I put her into her basket and gave her a kiss and a smooth and told her how much I loved her and that although we were going to be so sad to see her go – it was okay. I took her to my husband to say goodbye and he had a last blether with her too. She died in his hands a few minutes later which was appropriate as he had been the first to hold her and I am glad he was the last.

Conker was the best little hamster we could have had, she was gentle when she had treats, she made us laugh and cry, she was inquisitive, talkative, nosey, beautiful and a strong character. I think she was fighting to the end so we could both be there with her when the time came. For that we will be forever grateful as we wanted to love her from start to finish and let her know we were there.

I hope she wasn’t in any pain, I hope her passing was quick and that she wasn’t frightened. I hope she knew that she was loved and that we will miss her presence so much.

She is being cremated today and we will then decide what to do with her ashes after. I’ve spent today sorting out photographs as I wanted to show you some of her best moments.

Rest in peace little baby hammie, we love you and won’t forget you.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/sugalass/babehammieonwheel.jpg
A young babe

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/sugalass/Picture_089.jpg
In her basket - being spoilt rotten

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/sugalass/sleepinghamster.jpg
Sleeping beauty

Jane
01-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Conker was a beautiful little hammy.

Run free at the bridge Conker :cry:

Faye
01-07-2008, 09:55 AM
she was a cutie - so sorry :cry:

Holly
01-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that Conker has died, Suga, your pictures say it all about how beautiful and special she was and how much she was loved.

RIP little Conker :(

I_am_plankton
01-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Very safd to read this but a lovely tribute.

RIP Conker

Bailey-Benji
01-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. She was obviously well loved and had a fab life with you, you can tell by the beautiful way in which you've written about her. It's always hard when they pass, she'll always be remembered :(

pophammy
01-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh no poor Conker. She was an adorable hammy and obviously well loved. I'm sure she knew that. So sorry for your loss. R.I.P little one. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Spuds Mum
01-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your much loved conker. I'm sure that she was in no doubt how deep your love for her was, it shone out in your post. I can see how this small little girl held such a large place within your heart, and will continue to do so.
It must have been such a comfort for her to pass whilst held by the people who she trusted and loved during her happy life with you.
Sleep well beautiful Conker x

jayne
01-07-2008, 12:25 PM
So sorry to hear about Conker. She was such a cutie and as some others have said, your post showed how much you loved her and obviously still do. Beautiful photos too

RIP Conker x

souffle
01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. She was such a little character and her personality was an inspiration to us all. She will be much missed not only by you but by us all here on HC. She has left you with many memories which you will treasure for ever. Rest in peace little beauty and play happily at the bridge Conker. XXXX

DonnaB
01-07-2008, 04:42 PM
So sorry, sleep tight Conker. :cry:

babyboos
01-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I am so sorry sweet dreams Conker

suga
01-08-2008, 05:10 AM
I took her to the pet cremation place yesterday. It looks externally a bit like a chapel and when you go into it there is a reception area, offices and a small quiet room off to one side. The staff laid her in the quiet room and then we did the paperwork. i was then able to have "time" on my own before I left. I am collecting her ashes a bit later today :-(.

The staff were fantastic and its got a very peaceful feel to the building. They don't like you to turn up with out an appointment as you may cross over with other people - if you know what I mean - so all very good really.

Thank you all for your kind words -
suga

Basia
01-08-2008, 06:04 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Suga. RIP Conker

Catja
01-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Sorry so to hear of your loss, a much loved little one RIP

suga
01-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I've collected her ashes today. They come wrapped in paper with a ribbon round it, in a green box with her name on the top on a gold plate. Really nicely returned - and weird though it may seem - its nice to have her home.

souffle
01-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Some people find it strange to keep the ashes of a lost pet but we feel it is of comfort to keep them with us. We have three dogs and a cat still in their little wooden boxes and we feel that even if we move we still have them with us. Each one has a little piece of their fur too. Our hamsters have a special little area where we plant a flower for each one who has passed away. We feel that as the flowers grow a piece of the hammy is returned to the great circle of life and we like that. Do whatever brings you comfort.