PDA

View Full Version : Gabber Rex - Cage review

Holly
01-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Feeling at a bit of a loose end this morning, I've decided to review one of my all time favourite cages - the Gabber Rex. It's also a firm favourite on this, and other, hamster forums.

The Gabber Rex is a large tank type cage measuring approx. 71cm x 43cm - which gives a great floor area for a Syrian hamster or a pair of dwarf hamsters. It's around 26cm high. It costs around £30.00-£35.00 to buy new but often comes up used on ebay.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6306.jpg

It comes in varous colours with a large plastic ventillated shelf running the full width of the back, two plastic ladders, a food dish, small house and a plastic wheel:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6307.jpg

The wheel is rubbish (with knobs on!) and is IMO only suitable for the bin - this isn't necessarily a bad point just for this cage as almost every cage on the market has a fairly rubbish wheel that is too small for a Syrian and too hard to move for a dwarf. It just worries me that people new to hamsters don't realise this.

The house is also too small and too badly ventillated to be used as a home for a Syrian - I remove mine and my hamsters climb up onto the shelf directly through the gap! The steps aren't really needed by a Syrian but I leave mine in as they sometimes use them.

The roof is covered with a large metal grille - this fits into grooves in the plastic and can be slid sideways to open or remove (a bit fiddly) and there is also a small hinged door:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6311.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6310.jpg

There is a hole in the shelf to fit the food dish - a good size and great if your hamster usually tips it's food bowl up. For water there is a pre-drilled hole in the side of the lid - we fix our bottles to the side using tape and a zip tie:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6312.jpg

Pros:

*Large floor area, not too high so not far to fall. Loads of room for toys etc.

*Shelf makes a great, well ventillated bedroom area

*Ease of cleaning - you can't get an easier, quicker cage to clean out!

*Sturdy construction and well made - I have six of these (soon to be five) and do have a couple with small cracks in the lid - however these don't go all the way through the plastc and don't seem to be getting any worse.

* High enough to fit a Syrian sized wheel - it fits a Wodent Wheel and Savic Jumbo Roly etc.

*Excellent safe breeding cage.

*Can be good for bar-chewers to be kept in a tank type cage. However I will say that all three of mine currently in these cages DO chew the roof bars :roll: ...however this can be easier to remedy than in a wire cage. I have made a tunnel out of cardboard tubes which runs the length of the shelf in Mocha's cage - this prevents him reaching the bars, although he sometimes climbs round them! Other people also use heavy tiles or objects placed on top opf the grille above the shelf area.

*Good ventillation without risk of draughts

Cons:

*Wheel and house too small - easily remedied.

*Limited climbing opportunities compared to a wire cage. This can be remedied by adding climbing toys and all of our hamsters in Gabber's climb and swing on the roof bars! I also hang wood chews and treats from the bars - they climb and swing for hours trying to get the treats down!

*The major drawback is how difficult this cage can be to find - it isn't stocked by P@H or any of the major on-line retailers so unless you have a local petshop that stocks them, ebay may be the best bet. It is worth noting that the Gabber Rex seems to have recently been relabelled the Montagna Rex for some reason and there seem to be several new colours.

*I find that a wodent wheel can rattle around in the cage causing noise from banging on the floor and a metallic rattle from the grille moving. This is easily remedied by clothes pegging the wodent stand to one of the ventillation holes in the shelf, like so:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6323.jpg

Here are pictures of my different coloured Gabbers:

Red:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6309.jpg

Grey/pink:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6308.jpg

Green/red:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6498.jpg

Blue/yellow:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6501.jpg

White/pink:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_6499.jpg

All in all a BRILLIANT Hamster cage and highly recommended by myself and lot of people here - the "cons" are all easily remedied with a bit of inventiveness and I think it's one of the best cages out there 8)

souffle
01-07-2008, 03:54 AM
Thank you Holly. A great review. Our all time favourite cage too and a few addition comments from us to follow.

Ghostofarose
01-07-2008, 04:15 AM
That's lovely! I've never had one of these before. If I can persuade the boyfriend, I would love a pair of dwarfs, either Campbells or Chinese. Would the bar spacing be safe for them?

Is that the Junior Wodent Wheel you've got in there Holly? Do you find it easy to interact with your hams by reaching in through the tank lid, or do you take the top off altogether?

Great review! I will definitely be buying one for my dwarfs (if I'm allowed them!)

~Katie

souffle
01-07-2008, 04:27 AM
We have Winter whites in these and they are fine. Dwarfs cannot reach the roof from the shelf to climb up. Not sure on chinese as they are good climbers. All ours are so tame you just open the door and lift them out. We never put on the side clips as it is easier if you want to get the lid off and no one has ever lifted the lid however the lux lid can be lifted by a syrian. We had to separate our pair of WW brothers due to fighting even in cage this size with all the right props for peaceful life! The wheel is actually OK for a dwarf or we use a silent spinner (medium).

I_am_plankton
01-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Fantastic review, what great setups you have in them! I can't wait to get mine for mummy robo (gosh it's been 4 days and she STILL doesn't have a name :()

Ghostofarose - dwarfs won't be able to reach the bars in the top so won't be able to get out :) It is perfect for them :)

DonnaB
01-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Great review and I have to agree with all of it. I have the same as the one in the last pic, for my Syrian and I/we love it, no problems at all really, well nothing that would put me off buying it again, its great!

Mine was £29.99 from Natural World in Syston, theres also another branch in Loughborough.

Holly
01-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the nice comments about my review - it is a fab cage. I've just edited my original post to add something I forgot - the bit about how I attach my wodent wheels to the shelf.

Is that the Junior Wodent Wheel you've got in there Holly? Do you find it easy to interact with your hams by reaching in through the tank lid, or do you take the top off altogether?

Yes it is the Junior - the Rex isn't tall enough to take the Senior but I find the Junior ok for all of my Syrians, so far.

When getting our hams out I tend to take a clip off one side and lift the lid slightly - they all come rushing over to climb out! When taming new hamsters or babies it's best to lift the whole lid off completely - I find removing and replacing the grille a bit fiddly.

Matty Day
01-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I have just bought a gabber rex for Aphrodite as I need her tank for breeding. I think the wheel is actually ok she is using the wheel no problem though I might still replace it. The house is fine for dwarfs. but agree it is not good for Syrians.

souffle
01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree Matty the wheel is fine for dwarfs and we keep it in for them. The house can get a bit stuffy so we leave it in but take the roof off. They like to sit up there in a little tree house and some use it as a potty!

Holly
01-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Perhaps we had a dodgy one on the Rex we used for our winter whites then - they didn't seem able to move it very well and hardly used it - when I replaced it with a savic roly and a wodent they were never off the wheels!

Spuds Mum
01-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I wondered which one of us would be reviewing this cage! you did a great job :D I currently have 9 of these with a few more to come soon! I love it. What I have found with some of mine though with the house is:

* if I take the roof off the house and fill it with some litter from the 'toilet' corner, it makes a great hamster toilet and a few of mine do this which makes easy cleaning even easier!! I just remove the house daily, wash and replace!

PS - loved the WW clothes peg idea Holly - Bronte is having that done tonight (I'll stop the little madam from rearranging her cage one way or another!)

Have to finally say - I am always looking at hamster cages and also have a variety of others (both already reviewed and not) and I have to say I've not come across anything that comes close in terms of providing a large and comfy home for your beloved pet at an incredible price.

DonnaB
01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
[quote="Holly
When getting our hams out I tend to take a clip off one side and lift the lid slightly - they all come rushing over to climb out! When taming new hamsters or babies it's best to lift the whole lid off completely - I find removing and replacing the grille a bit fiddly.[/quote]

I agree that removing the grill is a bit of a pain... I generally remove the whole lid, or wait til Luna is out for food and scoop her out through the little top door.

I havent needed to peg the wheel yet..... after the initial obsession on it, she seems to have calmed down and be back to her normal routine.... I'm usally in bed when shes running on though. :)

babyboos
01-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I put Chinchilla sand in the house andhave the cage lid the other way round so the water bottle is poking out on the upper level. I suspend it from the ceiling when I have babies in these cages to allow them to reach it but as soon as they are able to scoot up the excellent stairs I move it round again.
Chinese are okay in these cages but some do have an aversion to stairs so be careful and ty and test your Chinese before purchase with some stair-like contraption.
The wheels they come with are fine for dwarf hamsters and they are nice and thick and long wearing. You can buy larger Ferplast wheels for circa £2.99 in most independant petshops, or a Rody Savic Jumbo also fits nicely into the existing spindle catch in the middle of the upper level.
Major plus point is NO fallout - anyone with a barred cage will know all about litter always finding its way out of them, and some of our "tidier" Syrians like to pee so far up in the corner they often shoot right out the cage and down the wall - so straight into one of these for those offenders.
Overall I tend not to home my Syrians in thse as a matter of course preferring a barred cage such as the Ferplast Rainbow, but ALL my Roborovski go in Gabber Rex cages, or the smaller Lux if only a pair (most of my Roborovski live in groups/colonies). My Winter Whites and Campbells also go in Gabber Rex or Ferplast Duna tanks which are very similiar, but slightly smaller for the same price.

sammys/mum
01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
My WW is in one of these and she loves it. I replaced the wheel with the silent spinner, She seems really happy on her own but I was a bit shocked at how small she was compared to the cage when I first got her!

Holly
01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
*Original post edited to add pictures of some of the different colours*

Gust0o
02-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Just ordered two - am very much looking forward to their arrival, on the basis of this review :)

Holly
02-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Eek! Big responsibility for me then :shock:

I'm sure you'll love 'em as nearly all of us here do - just out of interest where did you find them online?

Gust0o
02-14-2008, 12:49 AM
I got it from The Pets Corner, on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Criceto-Rex-XL-De ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Criceto-Rex-XL-Delux-Hamster-Cage_W0QQitemZ250209584676QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1286Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQ cmdZViewItem)

Seems like they have some more available, for all those interested.

Gust0o
02-19-2008, 02:16 PM
They're here! :lol:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/Gust0o/19022008234.jpg

Am very happy with them - Bob has lots more space, and has instantly perked up.

I think we're going to need additional toys! :)

souffle
02-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Aww Gus I am so jealous, not of the cage as we have all ours in these but of Bob. She appears to be a chocolate and white tortoiseshell. Where did you get her. Gorgeous... souffle drools over hamster....

Spuds Mum
02-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Aww Gus I am so jealous, not of the cage as we have all ours in these but of Bob. She appears to be a chocolate and white tortoiseshell. Where did you get her. Gorgeous... souffle drools over hamster....

Looking at the videos Souff, I think she is definitely golden and white tort - she has very prominent flashes and chest band - and I think you ought to come to the Topcliffe show so we can all coo over her in the flesh - Yay I am proud of myself for spotting her peach patches! :x lol.

Bob looks very happy in her gabber rex, and I'm sure you will come to love the cage as much as many of us on here do!

souffle
02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I think I must have missed the videos as I was away in Scotland for a few days. That is the first pic I have seen of Bob and she looked chocolate. No matter though she is a gorgeous tort and white. We are thinking about one ourselves :wink:

Spuds Mum
02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
awww really?? That would be loverrly! On another post I posted some pics I found of all different types of torties, and they were all gorgeous. Maybe one day, but not for a while, I will have one too.

(btw - I meant Gus coming to Topcliffe not you - I've just re-read my post and I didn't make myself clear - I am assuming of course that you and PH will be there! :D I do hope so)

Hope everything was okay in Bonnie wee Scotland, and that your Dad is keeping well x Has he got a date for his op yet?

Holly
02-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Your Gabber looks fab, Gus - and you've given Bob a lovely leg up to those tempting bars with that Sputnik :P

Gust0o
03-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Oops, sorry chaps - missed this thread!

I've asked for show pens for Hobbs and Bob - though I might need some advice for how to enter them (I'll put up another thread and some pics in the Syrian forum).

So you'll be able to do all the coo'ing you want - and Bob will love you for it - and make your minds up on her colour. She's fantastically tame, so I don't think a cuddle would be inappropriate :x

Your Gabber looks fab, Gus - and you've given Bob a lovely leg up to those tempting bars with that Sputnik

Many thanks! Bizarrely she doesn't like chewing the roof bars, possibly because it's too much effort. She does, however, love climbing, so I've tried to make sure she has as many opportunities as possible.

Mindst you, they're all the same!

Bob:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/Gust0o/02032008302.jpg

Hobbs:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/Gust0o/02032008301.jpg

Harry:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/Gust0o/27022008263-1.jpg

happysaz133
06-17-2008, 06:49 AM
This looks a great cage. I had a Gabber before my current barred cage, but I'm tempted to switching back to Gabber. I wondered though, where the wheel is, would a silent spinner fit in the space? :?:

06-17-2008, 07:37 AM
This looks a great cage. I had a Gabber before my current barred cage, but I'm tempted to switching back to Gabber. I wondered though, where the wheel is, would a silent spinner fit in the space? :?:

A regular Silent Spinner fits in quite nicely and even attaches to the wheel bracket on the shelf. :)

alvinsfamily
06-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Is there a silent spinner big anth for a syrian???

Thinking about changing Alvins cage as his bar chewing is doing my head in, I'll either by one of these cages or make my own x

alvinsfamily
06-17-2008, 01:21 PM
How did you fit the wodent wheel? x

alvinsfamily
06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Sorry another question. Can a syrian reach the bars at the top? x

06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
The Wodent Wheel is fitted to a stand so you use that with the Gabber - you need a Junior size Wodent Wheel for a Gabber.

And yes, a Syrian can reach the bars at the top by either standing on the shelf, or by standing on toys. Hamsters doing the monkey bars on the Gabber roof is not an uncommon sight. :wink:

Spuds Mum
06-17-2008, 01:30 PM
the wodent wheel comes with its own stand, and this fits neatly into a gabber rex. to secure it, some members use a clothespeg from the shelf to the stand.

Can syrians reach the bars - definitely - the one draw back is that, with the shelf in, you are often faced with a hamster that will stand on hind legs and chew the roof bars. Some people will stop this by attaching log bridges to the bars over the shelf area, or using thick cardboard tubes (chubes) to make a 'roof run'.

The only other issue too is that occasionally a hamster will decide that instead of bar chewing, they will try to enlarge the two round holes in the roof (designed for a water bottle not available in this country). Ive only had one that has tried this, but member Holly had a ham that really managed to chew away at the plastic.

Of course the shelf can be removed although most hams do seem to enjoy this and making their nest under it!

Hope that helps :D

alvinsfamily
06-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I need a cage that he cant bite. Maybe the bin option is the best? x

Nicolapompicola
06-19-2008, 12:50 AM
If you need a cage for a chewer, you can't beat a glass aquarium IMO. They've got nothing to chew on inside unless you put it there, and if you go for a good sized tank, say 4'x18"x15" he won't be able to reach the top to chew on the mesh lid. :) The only downside is that they're fairly expensive, and very heavy..

happysaz133
06-19-2008, 02:46 PM

A regular Silent Spinner fits in quite nicely and even attaches to the wheel bracket on the shelf. :)

Thanks, I am really tempted, but torn between this and the zoozone. :o

06-19-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks, I am really tempted, but torn between this and the zoozone. :o

For me, the easiest way to choose between a Gabber and a ZooZone is whether you intend to use the shelf or not. If you want the shelf (my hams really like it 0 and they adore the little Gabber house for some reason), go for a Gabber, but if you're intending to take the shelf out, you might as well go for a ZooZone as you get a tiny bit more height. Hope this helps you make your mind up. :)

happysaz133
06-19-2008, 03:08 PM
For me, the easiest way to choose between a Gabber and a ZooZone is whether you intend to use the shelf or not. If you want the shelf (my hams really like it 0 and they adore the little Gabber house for some reason), go for a Gabber, but if you're intending to take the shelf out, you might as well go for a ZooZone as you get a tiny bit more height. Hope this helps you make your mind up. :)

I'm not sure. I would love to get the Zoozone becuase of the size, but worry about the bar spacing and me not meshing it correctly. Am I right in thinking you can remove the shelf section in the Gabber? In my Gabber Lux you could remove the patforms or just use one.

06-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Yep, you can remove the shelves in the Rex, just like you can with the Lux.

alvinsfamily
06-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Is the zoozone alot bigger than the gabber? x

happysaz133
06-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Is the zoozone alot bigger than the gabber? x

ZooZone Large is bigger, its 99cm whereas the Gabber is 71cm. It's also slightly higher, but roughly the same width. I am so tempted but I just don't know!

Melon
06-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I have two Gabber Rex's.... (got them after a lot of good reviews on here!) and I think they're FANTASTIC. They are spacious, easy to clean and there's lots of room for lots of toys.

My hamsters love them, they will run around for ages exploring and playing with the toys and one will do a monkey impression across the bars at the top.

I'd recommend a Gabber Rex to anyone wanting a hamster! :D

x x x

alvinsfamily
06-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Hiya all, just wanted to put in my views of the gabber.

I think its brilliant, and more importantly so does Alvin. He hasnt discovered the bars yet, had a good sniff of them but cant quite reach them!!!

The wheel is absolutly pants, thats come straight out and been replaced with a wodent wheel.

I have a little mouse bottle so thought I was gonna have probs attaching the littlediddy bottle, but I just attached cable ties to the bottle, then to the wire that holds the bottle in.

babyboos
07-09-2008, 03:16 PM
water bottle modifications are required but everyone has great ideas for getting round the funny positioning - I use hanging bottles but they are quite hard to find

happysaz133
07-17-2008, 08:59 AM
I realised, I havent' reviewed this yet. Jasper loves his Gabber, and I still cannot get over the size of it! Even with the platform in the cage, there's lots of room for toys. I love how it makes NO mess, no woodshavings or food bits fall out.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q213/happysaz133/hammy/100_8341.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q213/happysaz133/hammy/100_8358.jpg

I obviously took out the wheel, which is far too small for your average Syrian, but thats common with cages these days. I also didn't keep the little house, Jasper prefers to create a big nest under the left platform section. So the bit where the house used to be, under that platform section, I ahve put his litter tray, which keeps it out of the toy area, and also gives him some privacy!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q213/happysaz133/hammy/100_8359.jpg

I also put some puzzle playground along this bit just to give a bit more fun rather than just a walkway.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q213/happysaz133/hammy/100_8360.jpg

It also gets changed around regularly
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q213/happysaz133/hammy/100_8327.jpg

And it sits beside my bed in the corner of my room.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q213/happysaz133/hammy/100_8333.jpg

T-Bone
07-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Thats a great setup you have there Sarah, especially all the puzzle playground bits!

I went for the bin cage option myself but after looking at your cage i'm starting to wish i'd gone for a gabber!

Does Jasper gnaw those bars on the top of the cage though? If he does then you must be a very good sleeper :wink:

My rescue syrian was in a standard bar cage for his first night as his new cage wasn't ready and the noise was unbelieveable - took me all night trying to get to sleep!

happysaz133
07-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Thats a great setup you have there Sarah, especially all the puzzle playground bits!

I went for the bin cage option myself but after looking at your cage i'm starting to wish i'd gone for a gabber!

Does Jasper gnaw those bars on the top of the cage though? If he does then you must be a very good sleeper :wink:

My rescue syrian was in a standard bar cage for his first night as his new cage wasn't ready and the noise was unbelieveable - took me all night trying to get to sleep!

Well thats actually why I went for the Gabber, Jasper was a constant bar chewer! It was totally attention seeking though, he's only ever chew the door :roll: so I bought the Gabber, and although e've had a bit of bar chewing, nothing compared to what it was. He only chews the bars if the suspension frame toys are in, and again, only ever the door. I think he believes he was born to be free!

Kay_zee
07-22-2008, 08:06 AM
The Gabber Rex is top of my list for when I get my new hamster, but the fact it's so hard to come by is a little off putting. I'm so annoyed at myself as I realised this was the cage (slightly different, had those metal twisty tubes) I had for my two dwarfs and I ended up binning it with all my other things when we downsized our house and there was only room for one cage. :(

Is ebay the only place anyone has found it recently? Also the buyer seems to indicate that there aren't many left, or have they been saying this for awhile to ensure more people buy them?

pophammy
07-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Kay_zee ~ the only cage I've seen with the twisty metal tubes is the Gabber Lux ~ it's like a smaller version of the Rex. I've never seen these in a Rex. :? Click here (http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4408) to see the Gabber Lux review.

Kay_zee
07-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Maybe it was, just as a kid it seemed bigger. :lol: Definitely interested in the Rex this time though, as size isn't an issue now, so bigger is best.

happysaz133
07-22-2008, 11:00 AM
The Gabber Rex is top of my list for when I get my new hamster, but the fact it's so hard to come by is a little off putting. I'm so annoyed at myself as I realised this was the cage (slightly different, had those metal twisty tubes) I had for my two dwarfs and I ended up binning it with all my other things when we downsized our house and there was only room for one cage. :(

Is ebay the only place anyone has found it recently? Also the buyer seems to indicate that there aren't many left, or have they been saying this for awhile to ensure more people buy them?

Nope, sadly they are not just saying this to make people buy them. The company stopped making them after some dispute with someone else (I cannot remember the story, sorry). I believe its near impossible to get a purple, grey or yellow one, but some people on ebay have red, blue and green. Jasper's came from ebay last month, blue version, for £35 including postage. It really is worth it, the size is incredible.

The Gabber Lux was the one I had before. Had I known how rare they are now, I would have kept it also, it was grey, with purple platforms, and had the spring tube things. But it did have good use, 2 adult syrians, and a mum and babies, I threw it out because it was showing wear.

moletteuk
11-19-2008, 08:42 AM
I've just got a Rex for my two new WWs :D

I was just wondering whether you think the steps are OK for dwarfies? I'm a bit concerned about legs slipping through the gaps. Likewise, do dwarfies cope OK walking over the slatted shelf?

Thanks

souffle
11-19-2008, 12:41 PM
We have WW in a rex and they seem to cope fine with the ladders and have never had any problems with the shelf personally. To be honest ours dont go up of the shelf much. They prefer to go in the tunnel bit underneath. You cold replace the ladders with a log bridge if you were unsure. Bend it like a bridge then they just climb up and hop on to the shelf. They also like to sleep under the log bridge.

moletteuk
11-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks. A log bridge or step sounds like a good idea :) I'm doing the changeover into the Rex tonight :D

Hanlou
02-04-2009, 02:05 AM
It probably doesn't matter now as these cages are impossible to get hold of new but just to warn others - dwarf hamsters can escape from this cage.

My Robo' Tiny got out - she must have got through the roof bars. There wasn't really anything for her to get up to them easily either but she did so and escaped! I did manage to catch her fortunately but I just thought I should mention it to others. She's now been rehoused in an Imac Fantasy, lol.

Toria
09-01-2009, 06:25 PM
yaaay i got myself a gabber rex on ebay tonight for £10 with lots of toys. One a few days went for £22 so i got lucky! I can't wait for it to come, my little WW will love it i'm sure! :D :D

PrincessPinkchi
12-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Well, I had one a bit like the Gabber for my russian dwarf hammy but it was a bit smaller. At the sides on the see through plastic I think there is a little gap and my hammy started chewing on it. So we had to get rid of it before he digested some of the plastic. I was wondering if thats the case with the Gabbers because I don't want to waste my money, even though no one seems to have mentioned any chewing problems?
Thanks,
PP x

Tammy22
12-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Hiya :)

the Gabber Rex is very difficult to get hold of, but it is a great cage!

There is a slightly smaller one which we also have - it is called a Gabber Lux and i think this is probably the one you had as it does have a rectangular shaped hole in the side for a type of water bottle which looks similar to a bird water bottle!! Yes, we have had problems with this gap too, but once we blocked it up it was fine :) Old cd cases are great for this, lol!!

The Rex can have the same problems as it also has a hole for a water bottle which some hamsters will chew, but again this can be blocked up. Another chew point can be the holes on the sides where the clips fit into, but i havent had much problem with these, they usually get bord after a few tries :)

I have had determined hamsters chew out of gabbers but again, these can just be pacthed up - it is a great cage though :) i love them!!

Tammy x