PDA

View Full Version : Male robo for possible adoption in Gloucestershire

I_am_plankton
01-05-2008, 07:30 AM
I collected a male and female pair of robos from a lady who had had an accidental litter from them after buying them as 2 females. She wanted rid of them, and unfortunately I can only keep the female due to space issues.

He is a lovely little chap whose name is Piglet but he doesn't know this name, and he enjoys coming out for a quick run and handling session.

He is approx. 8 months old and I have offered him to a friend but hasn't let me know if she can take him yet, so in case she can't I thought I would offer him here if someone might be able to have him. I can't for some reason get a classified ad to show on this site.

I am in Gloucestershire and will be attending Highworth and Alcester shows if that helps.

Holly
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Leanne, I know there aren't too many robo owners on here and I don't know an awful lot about them - perhaps you could tell us more about them? I was under the impression they are generally very social and it's often possible to carefully introduce a young Robo of the same sex to a lone one - is this right? I've been reading your thread on the other forum - as this couple were still together after their litter were born do you think it's likely your female is pregnant again? If so what are the chances of introducing a son to dad, do you think? Or would he be ok alone?

I've been thinking about a rescue for a while and, though I was sort of thinking it would be a Syrian , if you end up being stuck we could maybe take him. I think Robos are adorably cute but I've always sort of been put off by how fast and sometimes difficult to tame I've heard they can be - it sounds like this little fella is already tame-ish so might well be brilliant to come and live in a house of robo non-experts!

I know they need a fair bit of space for their size - would a 63cm x 37 cm cage with a shelf and bedroom in the roof be ok for him (it's the Happy World tank cage I reviewed the other day - I know Internet Nobody keeps a ww in hers)? Or would he need more space?

Hmmm....am off to read more about robos in my Hamsterlopaedia :wink:

I_am_plankton
01-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey Julie

These are my first robos, I have never owned them due to their speedyness but I can cope with them no problem - I just handle them inside the cage for a few seconds before transporting them to the bed. He has a lovely nature, and it is very possible to introduce another male to him but he does seem fine on his own as he is very active and loves his seesaw :) If mum does spring some pups, I am hoping he is homed by then, but of course if he is still here then I will introduce a male or 2 to him (or if whoever took him wanted some young ones to introduce that would be fine). I wouldn't hesitate now in future to have more robos, although they are quick if you have had experience with other dwarfs I think you will be fine as I seem to be ok :)

I am hoping she isn't pregnant again (the owner said that she had been fighting quite badly with dad in the last few days and didn't want him anywhere near her) but if she is I will try to do my best.

He is currently in a savic rody which seems fine for him, so your cage would be a lovely size for him if you did want to take him :) I certainly don't have problems catching him and handling him and he is a lot more active than the female so is a joy to watch running on his wheel lol. I am going to give my friend a while to reply, perhaps a week, but if she can't take him then he will definately be available.

He is being offered free and I will also let his cage go with him if necessary, with his toys as I don't like to upset a hamster :)

Holly
01-06-2008, 10:24 AM
He sounds absolutely lovely, if your friend doesn't want him we'd love to take him (don't worry if she does, as long as he's got a good home that's the main thing - I know someone else will come along a needing a home, sadly probably quite soon).

If we do take him perhaps we could borrow the Rody for a short while if you are going to Alcester? Then he can come here in his new cage and I'll switch him once he's used to us a bit. We could get him at Highworth unless anyone near you is coming to Bradford which is obviously sooner?

I_am_plankton
01-06-2008, 10:57 AM
hi Julie

I don't think anyone nearish to me will be going to Bradford, if she can't take him then would you want to do a half way meet before Highworth? I don't mind either way!

Here are some pics of him:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/i_am_plankton/06-01-08_1636.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/i_am_plankton/06-01-08_1642.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/i_am_plankton/06-01-08_1643.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/i_am_plankton/HPIM1102.jpg

Holly
01-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh my goodness, Leanne, what a little cutie! If we are having him I'd love to get him sooner than Highworth so a halfway meet up would be lovely!

If we wait 'til the wodents have arrived I could bring them and the Rex as well :wink:

I_am_plankton
01-06-2008, 02:30 PM
hey

I will let you know in the next few days, she is going to speak to her OH about what he thinks. If she doesn't want him, ideally I would like to pass him over by the end of the month or so, so if the wodents haven't arrived by then then that is fine and I can still pick those up at Highworth :) My mum doesn't like the tanks being on the floor but it's my bedroom so I can't see the problem, perhaps it is because they don't want me becoming attached to him?

I haven't even decided a name for the female yet! :S

Holly
01-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Well I work two long days one week, three the next so I have a fair few days off - if he's coming to us I'm keen to get him ASAP (before you get too attached :P )

We've even got a name for him :)

I_am_plankton
01-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Right then, he is yours if you would like to take him Julie :)

He's an adorable little man, and loves to run in his wheel so quick he flies out lol. When would you like to take him? I am free this weekend and any weekend really to do a half way meet which looks like it is Hopwood Park Services on the M42 according the theaa.com

I will bring him in a travel box (if you don't have a carry case I will put him in the box Poppy came in from Tristar which you can keep) and will pack the rody into the car with his toys etc in (let me know if you want me to empty bedding etc out for you to do how you like it or want me to change everything fresh as I don't mind).

Holly
01-07-2008, 03:54 AM
Hurrah! Yep, we want him and I'm free this weekend too :)

I can do either day really, so let me know when is best for you (just not too early in the morning!). The wheels won't be here by the weekend but I can bring your Rex :)

If we can borrow the Rody until Highworth that would be brilliant as I'll leave him in it for a few days until he's settled in and then move some of his used bedding into his new cage. He will have had a few moves lately so I think that will leave him most settled - if you are sure you can manage without it for a few weeks?

I'm really excited and can't wait to tell Will - he went to school this morning with his fingers crossed we'd get him! We will definitely give him a good life and I'm determined he'll be a "handled" robo - even if we have to do it forever in the bath!

I_am_plankton
01-07-2008, 04:01 AM
That's great :) I bet Will's face will light up bless him! Once you have caught him he is easy to pick up (I just use one hand and scoop him up) and he just likes to explore. I mostly keep him in my hands with the odd wander on the bed, and he will come with an exercise ball but he doesn't really roll in it, just sits there and poos a lot lol. I have been handling him once a day just to get him used to coming out around the same time, usually just for 5 minutes as after a while he gets a bit restless. He doesn't bite (robos very rarely do, my local rubbish pet shop thinks that they always bite lol) and is just such a joy.

Keep the Rody as long as is necessary, I certainly won't be needing it for a while I hope!

I will speak to my dad later tonight, I can drive to meet you but he might offer me a lift which will be easier so I will see what he says and which day might be best. I will definately let you know later on this evening :)

Holly
01-07-2008, 04:10 AM
Brilliant! He sounds and looks just adorable, I hope he likes us!

I_am_plankton
01-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Saturday is the best day this end Julie, we'll discuss later in the week about times if that's ok? If you could PM me your mobile number just in case we can't find eachother on the day and I will reply with the same :)

Holly
01-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Saturday's fine for us, can't wait :)

I'll PM you my number in a bit as I also have the wodent prices :wink:

I_am_plankton
01-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Just to ask, are you OK with meeting at Hopwood Service Station at Junction 2 of the M42? It's just off a roundabout so is accessible whether you're coming from Cinderford, Gloucestershire or from your end :) According to theaa.com and google maps it is 53 miles or so from your end.

Holly
01-07-2008, 02:06 PM
That's no problem, Leanne, I've already aa routed it and it's easy to find - thank you so much for meeting us, it would have been a monster journey to come all the way to you but this is great 8)

lau200
01-10-2008, 08:32 AM
i'm glad he's got a loving home with you Julie :D

Holly
01-10-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm getting very excited now - not half as excited as Will though :wink:

I_am_plankton
01-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Just in case someone else posts offering a home, he is now going to his new home tomorrow with Holly :D He is such a gorgeous boy you will be very pleased :)

Although I shall be sad to see him go, it is best since I have only had him just over a week and it would be harder if I had had him longer.

Holly
01-11-2008, 06:04 AM
I'm glad you aren't too attached to him, Leanne (as we can't wait to get him!) but I'm so grateful you've looked after him and spent time handling him (Leanne has PM'd me to say he's a lot easier to handle now than when she got him and he'll sit and wash on her hand 8) ).

I've been out this morning and bought him new silent spinner on a stand, some "build'n'bites" to build him a den and a couple of small log ladders for his new cage :) .....Will is making him a little tunnel system to go "underground" tonight.

Hope he likes us and isn't too unsettled by another move.

Spuds Mum
01-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Well I know two people and one little hamster who will be excited about tomorrow!
Have a safe journey Julie and Will (and of course Leanne too :D ) and can't wait for you to post details of little 'secret name' when he gets to his new home :x

Holly
01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks Teresa :)

Will and I have spent this evening getting his cage ready (even though we'll probably leave him in the Rody for a while) and we've built him an underground tunnel, which is quite exciting!

How good are robos at climbing? The reason I ask it that I'd like to replace the HUGE water bottle with one of a more reasonable size which attaches inside the cage - however that will leave a hole in the roof - would he be able to get out that way?

Hope he likes it!

I_am_plankton
01-11-2008, 12:22 PM
It is lovely that you have bought him a Silent spinner and some toys, he will love them :) I have just cleaned him out and his wooden toys are drying out (they smelt really bad of wee but I didn't realise this last week until I had already cleaned his cage - his last owner never bothered with pet disinfectant or anything). He is currently slurping on some rice pud baby food :)

I think he will be fine with moving cages, he didn't seem at all bothered by coming to live here :)

I'm not sure about climbing, but he can jump when he wants to but not very far upwards so I don't know what to recommend to be honest

Holly
01-11-2008, 12:30 PM
It is lovely that you have bought him a Silent spinner and some toys, he will love them :)

Yes - I decided I couldn't bear the noise of the other wheel and it's not as easy to turn as I first thought - so good old silent spinner it is. First I have to saw off the large plastic spindle attached to the cage :?

I_am_plankton
01-12-2008, 02:23 AM
He's going to his new home today, yay :D Although it is a bit sad for me he is just too cute and I want to eat him all up hehe :)

See you soon Julie and Will :D

Holly
01-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Well we are back with the little guy - he is absolutely gorgeous and Will's had a cuddle already whilst transfering him into his cage :)

I've left him in his Rody for now while he settles in (as it's familliar and I need to do one or two modifications on his new cage) and he's gone to sleep and doesn't seem too fazed by the move/journey.

Many thanks to Leanne and her lovely parents for meeting us with him - hope you had a safe and straightforward journey home.

I'll (re)introduce little Bean (as in Chocolate Bean) later :wink:

I_am_plankton
01-12-2008, 09:38 AM
I am glad you are pleased with him :) We have just gotten home, we went onto Bromsgrove for some lunch and a mooch around :) Thanks very much for taking him and giving him a lovely home :D