PDA

View Full Version : Lactol and Nature Diet dog food questions

Hanlou
01-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Hello! I have just this week rehomed a Syrian hamster (called Herbert!). I've been reading and reading on here as to what's best to give him but though I think I've sorted the 'basics' out I'm still not sure about finer details!

I occasionally give lactol to my rats as a treat (and sometimes lactol with EMP) and just wondered whether a very small amount of this every now and then would be suitable for Herbert?

Also, would a very small amount of Nature Diet dog food (fresh, not dried) be ok for him occasionally as a treat and a nutrition boost?

Spuds Mum
01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
I've not come across that brand of dog food before - is it a dried food/kibble type? Hamsters will enjoy dog biscuits (such as biscrok) and can eat cat/dog food, though we tend not to give the wet food as it is messy and can spoil. We do feed cat and dog biscuits though (we check they dont have garlic in them - its not good for hamsters)
I feed my hams porridge made up with lactol as a treat and they all love it - small amounts are fine.
Other things they enjoy
boiled/scrambled egg, tofu, chicken, mealworms,
plus of course veg such as brocolli, carrot, sweet peppers, sweetcorn

Edit - opps - you said the dog food was fresh doh :oops:

souffle
01-04-2008, 05:02 PM
I agree I would not give the dog food. We feed youngsters Purina kitten biscuits though and the adults enjoy the occassional one too. We give lactol porridge once a week to all ours, more often for younsters. We mix two teasoons ready brek, one teaspoon wheatgerm and half teasoon lactol powder with boiling water to a paste then cool and serve one teaspoon per hammy. They always lap it all up. Spud's mum has given a good list of other treats.
Well done for taking in a rescue and welcome to the forum. We look forward to hearing all about your new little one. Herbert is a great name. Pophammy draws a cartoon hamster and his name is Herbert!

Hanlou
01-05-2008, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the information. :D

I got some more Lactol yesterday so will be making some up tonight so I'll give Herbert a little bit, bless him! I buy dog biscuits for the ratties, so he can have them as the occasional treat too then. I've read that it's best to introduce veg slowly so will do so as I don't think he'll have had any before, or not much for a long time anyway. I got some Curly Kale today though so I will give him a tiny bit of that to try.

He's very friendly. I'll post in Intro's and introduce myself and my little boy properly though. :wink:

Thanks again. :)

babyboos
01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
all my hamsters get Lactol regularly - mainly because for economy of scale the tins are so large - if I didn't it would go off before I could use it all if I only used it for my lactating females - which I used to when I had a large number of these, but now the hamstery has drastically cut back in numbers, everyone benefits. I have bought it loose before but rare to find an outlet which does this.