PDA

View Full Version : Any Guinea Pig Owners Here? Advice Please.

Mrs.Wiffles
11-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Our friends daughter is turning 9 and she wants a rabbit for her birthday. Her father is very against the idea due to cost, care and housing outdoors, commitment etc... but seems more adaptable to the idea of a guinea pig. I had guinea pigs as a child and recall how simple they were to care for ... much like hamsters.

Our guinea pigs lived in pairs and died naturally in old age, but I grew up in Africa when Noah's ark was around and our cages were simple like small wire coops during the day under the mulberry trees and they came in at night in a cardoard box with lots of rolled up newspaper and survived very well on all the vegetable cuttings.

How can I best advise my friends re modern housing, food, bedding etc.....?

StarlightSerenity
11-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Guinea pigs are best kept indoors in C&C cages, indoor commercial cages aren't big enough.

There's some info here - Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com/)

That's about all I know >.<

LawaRawr
11-13-2011, 10:44 AM
guinea pigs are best kept in pairs as to they are social animals. they will need to be kept in a large cage i reccoment a c&c cage 3x2 grids is the minimum size for 2 piggies. they will need hay available to them 24/7 as well as dry foods. guinea pigs do not make their own vitaimn c so they will need veggies every day. they will also need claws clipping and possibly teeth clipping if they become too long. male piggies will also need their grease gland cleaning once every 2-3 months. guinea pigs are nearly as expensive as keeping rabbits, although they are quite easy to care for, to get all of the basics and the guinea pigs you are looking at spending £100+. guinea pigs can be kept on fleece which will save money when it comes to buying substrate but it will need to be washed oftern as the pee will begin to smell. you need alot of room for them as they will need to have a run around daily for atleast a few hours a day they are brilliant pets but there is alot of responsibility involved and for a 9 year old i find small children get bored of pets rather quickly once they find out that they have to clean the cages 2-3 times a week. there is much more involved with piggies than hamsters.

there is someone on youtube called PiggiePigPigs and she has amazing videos about piggies she has 5 males. she posts alot of videos which are very useful as you always learn new things from her. shes always happy to answer questions too.

newham
11-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Keeping guinea pigs is not cheap, there is the fresh veg they need,
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy77/gpiggies/pets/th_P10-10-09_1752.jpg
without vitamin C they can get very sick easily and possibly die, I have two I love them to death but they can get through a hell of alot of hay and veg also sorry but they stink, I clean mine out twice a week as they live indoors, I have had a fleece lined cage http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy77/gpiggies/pets/th_P03-09-10_221201.jpg
but my gran put a stop to it when the hay clogged up and broke our washing machine, what they neglect to tell you on the C&C cages site is
A. that hay and poo will come out of their Cubes and Cloroplast cages
B. the smell from week old fleece is revolting
C. the fleece can never be fully shook free of hay and such so it will build up in your machine.

I will link you the best housing option I ever stumbled across....
it is a puppy pen, it has a holder for a water bottle and opening in side for the spout to go through, the bottom is attached by velcro and all you need to is lift it out, tip it into a bin, spray down and wipe over, there is a little mesh door that you can unzip and roll up so they can have floor time, it folds up completely and best part of all its decent size fairly cheap as cages go and if guinea pigs have food they wont chew it, mine never have.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31lyeYKRr6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puppy-Fabric-Foldable-Playpen-Diameter/dp/B00439RMEG/ref=sr_1_7?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1321219146&sr=1-7

You do need a pair and its worth it to watch them groom each other, sing to each other and play chase, their claws do have to be clipped but you can do this yourself easily and so long as they have plenty of hay and hard veg as well as apple wood sticks they shouldn't ever need trimming, I will recommend getting a cheap apple tree some supermarkets do them for less than a tenner and this can provide you chewing sticks for life as well as nommy apples.

http://youtu.be/ronEaYe4RE4

I honestly would say hamsters are the easiest pet I have ever had, I have had, tropical & gold fish, Rats, green waterdragon, boa constrictor, guinea pigs, hamsters, dogs and a gerbil, hamsters are by far the easiest not just saying that cause of the site we are on but its the gods honest truth.

Guinea pig care has moved on massive loads this site is by far the most informative and its forums for guinea pigs the nicest, the C&C cages site forum I found a bit elitest and if you don't have a C&C cge they judge worthy they can be bullies http://www.rodentswithattitude.co.uk/

Gibbs&JackBlack
11-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Hamsters will be much easier to care for!

I have 2 guinea pigs and we love them but they are not an "easy" pet for a child. As mentioned they need fresh veggies each day and UNLIMITED fresh green hay or meadow grass. It can easily cost $5-$15 a week for food depending on the costs of hay and veggies in that area.

I wouldn't get guinea pigs for a 9 yr old unless the parents were very willing to do a lot of caring for the pet.

Also, commercial pet store cages are NOT big enough even though the pet stores will tell you they are.
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com) is a great site with tons of info and cage instructions.

mangoandmimi
11-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Rabbits would do best in pairs anyway.. and they need more space and tbh i jsut think pigs are better pets , especially for kids. more cuddly and imo, easier to care for.
our pigs do fine outside (under a cover!) in a c&c cage, yes pigs are small but they don't half use up a lot of room!
As mentioned, lots of fresh noms is needed for them every day, i pick a handful of dandelions or milkthistle everyday and they also get a carrot and often some cucumber or salady greens. and they need hay - like unlimited amounts of it.
please dont advise that she get guineas if the parents are not prepared to look after them ythemselves if their daughter looses interest.. they can live for quite a while and are quite attention demanding! im not advising against them at all, i love our guinea pigs and wouldnt be without them <3
our pigs are long haired, so fleece didnt work as they moulted* onto it too mcuh and it would eventually clog up the washing machine. megazorb got waayyy too tangled in their fur but i find that cardboard bedding is perfect.
as for caging, a 2x5 c&c cage (thats minimum size though there are different opinions on sizes of course) would be fine, generally pigs prefer to be indoors but our two have a rather generous fat layer, and are very furry so theyre absolutely fine oudoors. just please remember to seriously fox proof the cage if they are outdoors :P

KatiePillow
11-13-2011, 03:47 PM
My cousins got guinea pigs, one each - they completely neglect them, would forget to feed them (with their parents bugging them every day) and I think that their life span is too long to be a good pet for the child, I think they'd be a good pet for a parent with children, and I'm not saying all children would get bored, but my cousins are actually very responsible children and yet they still got bored of them (or in their words, they're just 'too busy')
Their next door neighbour was also very interested in the idea of them until he was asked to piggy sit while the cousins were on holiday (so that's a good way of ensuring your friend's daughter is serious if she has any friends with them)

Also stress the fox proof cage :( my auntys g/p died that way.

I think only recommend them as a pet if the rest of the family would be happy to help too, same with a rabbit though - and as your friend doesn't seem to amenable to the idea of the care level I don't know if either would be well suited
(I really want some g.pigs though :p)

newham
11-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Avoid a wooden hutch the urine soaks into the wood and no amount of detol removes the scent!!!

luvcats22
11-14-2011, 11:44 PM
i have two male piggies, aged 3 years old. they are huge boys weighing in at 3lb each. they were from a good breeder!!
i keep them indoors in my lounge in a huge cage, they live on vetbed which is cleaned weekly they get fresh veggies every evening for their tea, pellets with added vit c as their food, and a constant supply of hay and fresh water. they are bathed 6 weekly to keep their grease glands clean, and nails are trimmed aswell (easy when you get the hang of it)

piggies are however prey animals and the first few months can be difficult to tame them as their natural instinct is to run away and this can be disheartening for a child. BUT it s well worth the time and effort, my two boys are the snuggliest fuzzbums, toby wll actively seek me out and lick my face when i ask for kisses!! heres a picture of them.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc280/luvcats22/006-17.jpg

Hamtastic
11-15-2011, 12:59 AM
I just have to comment on your piggies, Luvcats, they are soooo cute! I love their mottled fuzzy look and beautiful blue eyes <3

Mrs.Wiffles
11-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Your fuzz bums are beautiful :mad:.

Thank you for your feedback everyone. Much appreciated. I have advised my friends as much as possible and it's up to them now.

Think I might get a guinea pig for myself to add to my zoo. I'm feeling broody \\:D/

racinghamster
11-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I can`t really add to the good advice that has already been given, but I would say that a pair of piggies is a BIG commitment even for an adult owner, never mind a nine year old! So the parents would be the caretakers and quite honestly, they shouldn`t get any if it`s mainly to pander to the child. Believe me, even rabbits can bite hard and children are not the best candidates for either. If dad isn`t keen, I would listen

My friend got her daughter two MALE guinea pigs from a breeder who was selling them off cheaply. Little did she know they would be a handful and are now living seperately as a result of one badly attacking the other. They need large pens, regular vitamin C and can also need bathing due to their skin sometimes becoming flakey and sore. My friend now keeps them in indoor cages (one each) but they are out in a pen outdoors in the good weather.

Females pigs are best kept in pairs or trios. Males don`t bond as well and cannot really be introduced to other males if one dies. I thought about having some rescue piggies a while back, but even with my years of owning small animals, I decided not to bother and stick to rodents! Piggies are lovely, but you really do need to educate yourself if getting any (not you wiffles the family!)

luvcats22
11-16-2011, 11:54 PM
I can`t really add to the good advice that has already been given, but I would say that a pair of piggies is a BIG commitment even for an adult owner, never mind a nine year old! So the parents would be the caretakers and quite honestly, they shouldn`t get any if it`s mainly to pander to the child. Believe me, even rabbits can bite hard and children are not the best candidates for either. If dad isn`t keen, I would listen

My friend got her daughter two MALE guinea pigs from a breeder who was selling them off cheaply. Little did she know they would be a handful and are now living seperately as a result of one badly attacking the other. They need large pens, regular vitamin C and can also need bathing due to their skin sometimes becoming flakey and sore. My friend now keeps them in indoor cages (one each) but they are out in a pen outdoors in the good weather.

Females pigs are best kept in pairs or trios. Males don`t bond as well and cannot really be introduced to other males if one dies. I thought about having some rescue piggies a while back, but even with my years of owning small animals, I decided not to bother and stick to rodents! Piggies are lovely, but you really do need to educate yourself if getting any (not you wiffles the family!)

sorry to disagree racinghamster, but male piggies can live just as happily as females in pairs. i have introduced many boys to each other and if done properly then they can live together in harmony. my two are brothers and havent had a single fight in 3 years.
vitamin c is added to guinea pig food and with that plus the fresh veg they need daily you dont need to add any more vitamins to their diet.
i have never heard of piggies having to be bathed due to flaky skin, its done to clean them before a guinea pig show or to clean their fur/grease glands. if your ppiggy has flaky skin its likely to be mites or a fungal infection (both easily treated.)
the main reason pigglies fight is due to being put in cages which are simply too small, then having to share food/water/hides. if you have a big enough cage, and two of everything it lessens the risks.
again, sorry to disagree i didnt mean to cause any upset just wanted to set the facts right. xx

racinghamster
11-17-2011, 02:19 AM
Oh no, thats fine luvcats. Your obviousy far more clued up than I am on pigs! I suppose I was just generalising but your right about males fighting if the cage they are in is too small and my friend was guilty of that. I told her that guinea pigs need a lot of space but not being very savvy when it comes to keeping small animals (they have horses!) she thinks you just put them in an indoor rabbit cage and they will be fine. I pointed out to her that it`s not, but since her males are now seperated, she just keeps each one in an indoor cage. :rolleyes:

The flakey skin shampooing I was on about was mainly relating to sometimes being needed for the reasons you gave. But it doesn`t do them any harm to have a nice clean up now and then! :mad:

Originally, their daughter wanted a syrian hamster and I was asked all sorts relating to that. They then went ahead and got two `free` baby degus. They realised their mistake and rehomed them to a friend of theirs. Then went out and got the two piggies.....

They should have stuck to getting the hamster in my opinion.

luvcats22
11-17-2011, 12:16 PM
lol true xx

ReptileLover1
04-12-2012, 02:37 PM
I found this very interesting as after I get all three of our hams settled and there cage made with levels and stuff I hope to save and get a piggie... I was wondering If this was good for 3 piggies? -- > Jumbo Cage + 2x2 Loft (http://www.guineapigzone.com/c-and-c-cages-guinea-pigs/14-cages-with-decks/67-jumbo-cage--2x2-loft)
I found that This is how much I could pay for a small cage at Petsmart So I told myself why not get this really big cage :)
It will be a few months before I can get this at least (So no piggies untill then) But I would like to get everything I need now

(Im sorry to OP if this is not wanted on there thread-- I just figured It would be easier to keep the thread on them giong instead of starting a new one)

MandyP
04-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I have 15 guinea pigs and they need alot of work. Vet bills can be high and as everyone says they need veg full of vit C, Lots and lots and lots of hay. They need regular hamdling through out the year. You can but large out door cages but you are look at alot of money. They also need to prepare to look after them in the cold months, i know thats some of the busy times for rescues as parents can get fed up with going out in the cold to look after them.

I would suggest finding a local rescue or guinea pig rescue and getting them to go along and speak to someone on how to look after them. Also that gives them a chance to decide if thats the pet they really want. Guinea pigs can live up to 10 years plus.

I love guinea pigs and they give me so much joy as well as Hamsters :)

MandyP
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I found this very interesting as after I get all three of our hams settled and there cage made with levels and stuff I hope to save and get a piggie... I was wondering If this was good for 3 piggies? -- > Jumbo Cage + 2x2 Loft (http://www.guineapigzone.com/c-and-c-cages-guinea-pigs/14-cages-with-decks/67-jumbo-cage--2x2-loft)
I found that This is how much I could pay for a small cage at Petsmart So I told myself why not get this really big cage :)
It will be a few months before I can get this at least (So no piggies untill then) But I would like to get everything I need now

(Im sorry to OP if this is not wanted on there thread-- I just figured It would be easier to keep the thread on them giong instead of starting a new one)

I saw this set up and loved it when i was looking for my C&C :) 3 guinea pigs can live together but i have found 2 sows and a neutered boar work well. I also have a group of 3 sows together.

ReptileLover1
04-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Thank you for the replys :)
i am prepared (and will save money up to help with cost of everything--)

Do you find 3 Sows do not work as well as 2 Sows and Neutered Boar? As I would prefer to have all of the same sex.

Mona's Humans
04-12-2012, 02:59 PM
My 3 boys worked for a year, but i've now had to split, and get a new boy. If boys are bonded young, you should be okay, but i would advise even numbers as it reduces the chances of bullying.

Personally i wouldn't neuter unless it was for health reasons, as the op is risky for such tiny animals, but it is a debated topic.

Just a warning (as has been said) to ensure you have savings for vets bills, as although piggies don't often get ill, when they do, they really do, and bills can be quite high. Also when they get ill, they need a lot more care than hams usually do, and this can be very draining (currently treating all 4 of mine 4 times a day :( ) That being said, they are amazing animals, and truly have loads of love to give, and i highly recommend them to anyone :)

MandyP
04-12-2012, 03:00 PM
My 3 sows have lived happy together for nearly two years with no fall outs. I have had more problems with pairing my two neutered boars but theyy have both come from the Blue Cross animal rescue so i dont know if their back grounds are the cause of the problems. If you can get 3 baby sows from the same liter i cant see why they wouldnt get on fine.

My girls were in two seperate pairs but when Soot passed Ginger was on her own so i bonded her with Amy and Amber and they have been very happy together. I tried to add a neutered boar but Ginger didnt take to him.

ReptileLover1
04-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Even Numbers Makes since (may go with 2-- Do they do good in small group like 2 or 4 and Which would you suggest?-- If I go with 2 can I introduce more in the future or do they have to be bought in same litter>?)
I will definatly make sure I have saved for Vet bills (just so I know what would I be looking at if they were sick? and what should I look for to tell if they are )

MandyP
04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
My 3 boys worked for a year, but i've now had to split, and get a new boy. If boys are bonded young, you should be okay, but i would advise even numbers as it reduces the chances of bullying.

Personally i wouldn't neuter unless it was for health reasons, as the op is risky for such tiny animals, but it is a debated topic.

Just a warning (as has been said) to ensure you have savings for vets bills, as although piggies don't often get ill, when they do, they really do, and bills can be quite high. Also when they get ill, they need a lot more care than hams usually do, and this can be very draining (currently treating all 4 of mine 4 times a day :( ) That being said, they are amazing animals, and truly have loads of love to give, and i highly recommend them to anyone :)

I totally agree with the neutering. A large amount of rescues will not rehome boars now without neutering them first....i dont 100% agree with this as it doesnt remove the urges and can sometimes make no change to them but i know its away of making sure they cant breed. My boar i got from the Blue cross had just been neutered when i adopted him. He became very unwell and cost nearly £200 and 2 weeks of round the clock syringe feeding him. They are huge commitments.

Wow 3 boars living together i have never known anyone to be sucessful in having more than 2 living together. I have a pair of boars that have a very strong bond. I then have 2 other pairs of boars that all had a fight with in two weeks of each other. Cost £100 in vet bills and two extra cages....they were fighting over one of my sows that had come on heat. ( i dont breed but they picked up on her from there cages) like humans they can get along or sometimes fall out....

MandyP
04-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Even Numbers Makes since (may go with 2-- Do they do good in small group like 2 or 4 and Which would you suggest?-- If I go with 2 can I introduce more in the future or do they have to be bought in same litter>?)
I will definatly make sure I have saved for Vet bills (just so I know what would I be looking at if they were sick? and what should I look for to tell if they are )

There is nothing wrong in adding more to a group. My friend had 6 living together very happy and they started off with a pair. The more room they have the better.

I know in the UK you can get insurance for guinea pigs but it is very expensive.

Mona's Humans
04-12-2012, 03:10 PM
I would personally go for only 2 as a beginner.... i think more than that you risk a lot of expense if there are major fall outs, and needing more cages etc.... Piggies don't have to be from the same litter, if bonded young (or if you get the right bond) and i've had more success with piggies from different litters, than i've ever had with siblings tbh :?

My latest vet bills have been just over £100, before that it was £250, and before that only £15 - so it really does depend. Like hams they hide illness well, and the main way to tell an illness is to know your piggies really well, and if anything changes, monitor them like a hawk!!!

Mandy: 3 was a chore and a half lol, they did really well though, then started picking on the 'one who didn't get as big' lol.

ReptileLover1
04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
o ok thank you (and um-- ill have to change £100, before that it was £250, and before that only £15 To Dollars here --)

Thank you all you ahve been such a great help-- I will definatly go with 2 to start out--
And the cage I linked earlier :)
Can they have all veggies? (or are there some they can not have)

Mona's Humans
04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
i don't know if i'm allowed to link here, but if you want to PM me when your nearer to getting them (or tomorrow lol) i can give you a link to an amazing guinea info site, where everything you'll ever need to know is :)

atm...

100 British pounds = 159.71 U.S. dollars
250 British pounds = 399.27500 U.S. dollars
15 British pounds = 23.9565 U.S. dollars

:)

MandyP
04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
To be honest i actually like boars more than sows. I dont know why.

I would always suggest go to a rescue and ask to help out for a couple of week looking after piggles, that way you get to understand the level of care they need :)

To be honest i dont understand why vet bills are so much. My vets have put there prices up. For my Bella to see the vet last week cost me £25 it was only £15 in February.

I think in the past year i spent a good £1000+ in vet bills. If i didnt have insurance on my bunnys and cat it would of been more like £3000!

MandyP
04-12-2012, 03:21 PM
o ok thank you (and um-- ill have to change £100, before that it was £250, and before that only £15 To Dollars here --)

Thank you all you ahve been such a great help-- I will definatly go with 2 to start out--
And the cage I linked earlier :)
Can they have all veggies? (or are there some they can not have)

Guinea Lynx is a good site to look at for guinea pig care x

Mona's Humans
04-12-2012, 03:22 PM
thats the one i was going to link to but wasn't sure if were allowed lol :) so yeah a double recommendation :)

ReptileLover1
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
o Thank you for onverting the prices :)
And Ok Now I have a good Idea of Vet bills when/if I need them-- And I will definatly massage you after I have saved money enough to get everything and the piggies-- I will also see if there is an area I can do as you suggest Mandy (Though im not sure if in my town there is_)
O ok I will now go and look at that site for a while :) Thank you again

Sandrilene
04-13-2012, 02:02 AM
They are a considerable bit of work as pets as the others have said. i have 4 and they are in 2 cages 2 in each. cages take up quite a bit of space. When I used wood chips for bedding they got EVERYWHERE in the apartment. Switched to fleece. So far haven`t had any huge issues with it. I brush it with a small broom and dust pan everyday (takes less then 5 mins to do both cages and is much faster then having to vacuum the whole apartment) the hay and hair does get into the fleece quite a bit but some people use lint brushes for it (i have yet to try but probably will after hearing about people breaking their washing machines with clogs) I sweep it up everyday so I think that helps with it not getting as embedded in the fabric. I also take it outside and shake it off to get as much as i can off before the wash as well. The hay mostly comes out except for the tiniest of pieces. Hair is not so bad except for my one pig with the crazy hair that sheds everywhere. The others shed but not nearly so bad. The food cost is fairly high for an animal as the others have said too.

I don't think parents should be willing to get their children pets unless they are willing to care for them themselves period as you can't count on children doing it and its not fair to take on the responsibility without being responsible about it. Yes its for the child. But its your job to make sure it is treated appropriately and cared for as you are the one obtaining it and the one responsible for what the child does or does not do. I see way too many pets on sites for free because they are being neglected by children and parents are sick of taking care of the animal. I think if as a parent you aren`t willing to take on the extra work potentially then they shouldn't get the pet.

ReptileLover1
04-13-2012, 04:50 AM
The parent thing would not be aplicable in this case at the least(They wil make sure they are cared for but it will not be needed as they will be)- I am 14 and I would be getting everything and doing everything- This wont be for another maybe 4 months as I still want to research and have to reorganize my room to make space for a large cage--
(I already have 2 55gal and 1 10gal-- We are switching to either 1 more 55 gal or 1 55 gal and 2 20L tanks.)

Keflan
04-13-2012, 08:59 AM
HELP!

Any guinea pig owners here that can help me with a situation please?

I have 2 males around 2-3 months old. Sometimes one of them makes a purring noise and shakes while the other one puts his face into the shaking guinea pig and starts poking about then they start chasing each other.

Anyone know why one of them is shaking so much?

Mona's Humans
04-13-2012, 10:16 AM
hehe rumble strutting :p

Its a dominance thing, don't worry about it unless any aggression is shown, or blood is drawn :) Sometimes bathing them together can help to calm it down :)

Keflan
04-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Its mine that shakes while my girlfriends think hes boss.

Mine has red eyes, evil GP. :)

njwilde
04-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Haha, yeah don't worry, my lads do it all the time, they annoy each other but then they are inseparable. Henry thinks he is the boss so he does all this purring and eats a lot more to show he IS the boss in size, too but it is actually little Ian who wears the trousers as when they are out and Ian runs off Henry gets upset, the big baby. Here they are:

And please please please, don't anyone think they are "easy" pets, easier than rabbits but they need a lot of time and understanding!

http://http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306895_10150413538807678_692292677_10848165_249692 0_n.jpg

njwilde
04-13-2012, 02:11 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306895_10150413538807678_692292677_10848165_249692 0_n.jpg

MandyP
04-13-2012, 02:36 PM
What stunning guinea pigs :) Mine do it all the time. Its usually over the last bit of cucumber! Also when i fist put them into the run they have to just make sure everyone knows who is boss in the new space hehe

Keflan
04-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Hehe, Gaius is always shaking while Gizmo is in his face lol. Here is a pic of them too. Gaius is the red eyes, white and brown. Gizmo is the black face.

http://i44.tinypic.com/24qpvzd.jpg

Kissa
04-13-2012, 05:02 PM
I don't think parents should be willing to get their children pets unless they are willing to care for them themselves period as you can't count on children doing it and its not fair to take on the responsibility without being responsible about it. Yes its for the child. But its your job to make sure it is treated appropriately and cared for as you are the one obtaining it and the one responsible for what the child does or does not do. I see way too many pets on sites for free because they are being neglected by children and parents are sick of taking care of the animal. I think if as a parent you aren`t willing to take on the extra work potentially then they shouldn't get the pet.

What about if the "child" in question is in her mid-twenties, and disappears out of the country a few years later, abandoning the guinea pig and the snake? (This is how we've ended up with a piggie in our house: the original owner is mum's boyfriend's daughter, and Pig came to visit over Christmas and never went home :))

Also njwilde your piggies look wild :mad:

Keflan: Is Gizmo a boy? Only I was under the impression that tortoiseshell was female-only in every species, not just cats and hamsters, and unless I'm very wrong, he looks tort and white to me :confused:

Keflan
04-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Well the person in the petshop ended up pushing his skin in and you could see his weener pop out lol. Not a nice sight but yeah, its a male. Its all they had in at the time.

Kissa
04-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Well the person in the petshop ended up pushing his skin in and you could see his weener pop out lol. Not a nice sight but yeah, its a male. Its all they had in at the time.

Must not now go up and read about guinea pig genetics... must sleep...

I am such a genetics nerd :)

Keflan
04-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Let me know if you find out please, but he said they were all male and something popped out when he checked.

Kissa
04-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Just did a quick Google check, apparently it's not sex linked in piggies like it is in cats and hams :) So he probably is a he :p

Keflan
04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
I like how you found it so easy. Damn I was looking for about 5 mins and tried about 10 different sites and couldnt find anything lol.

Mona's Humans
04-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Yeah, colouring not specific :) monthly you need to be checking his genital area keflan as things can get sore, hay stuck etc, and you'll need to be fully extruding his 'weener' :s to ensure no stuck hay etc... So you should be pretty sure after that :p

Kissa
04-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Lol :p I Googled "guinea pig genetics tortoiseshell" and found the answer on the first link (http://user.icx.net/~richmond/rsr/GP/guineapig.html) ;)

Also saw some baby piggies in the pet shop this morning, OMG SO CUTE! :D They were so tiny and adorable :)

Shell
04-14-2012, 12:49 PM
I have both a male and female piggie with Tort and White colouring (although Boris at the front has lots more white than Pippa!)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/ShellTrooper/Piggies/IMG_0769.jpg

Just to add my 2p on the questions asked about keeping sows or boars and my experiences on how I ended up with six... I started with two girls and added a baby girl when they were about 9 months old. They took to her straight away and I didn't even see any dominance displays.

After another 9 months or so I added an adult neutered adult male. This introduction didn't go as smoothly as Pippa was keen to show him that she wore the trousers. Once he realised this they became pretty inseperable!

Mamite came next. She was added about 4 months later as a baby. Pippa rumbled and chased her alot when she first went in but soon calmed down after the first couple of days.

Lastly Hettie came about 7 months after that and was about 4 months old at the time. She came from a rescue and I took Pippa and Boris (as my dominant two) along so they could choose who they wanted. First choice didn't work as she flew as Pippa. Boris chose little Hettie and everyone else accepted her with no problems.

I guess I've been very lucky that my gang is pretty chilled and happy (mostly!) to accept new members. Their ages range from just over 3 down to 9 months or so and none are litter mates.

I, personally, would always have a neutered boar in my group. Boris is very good at diffusing hissy fits and tension between the girls should it rarely happen. He is also a joy to have and gets excited by the simplest things! He does still try to romance his ladies (even though he can't do anything about it these days!!) but for the most part the girls ignore him!

Sorry for waffling, but I figure my past experiences may answer some of the questions.

Good luck with your new boy Keflan, look forward to seeing pics of him once he's settled in :)

p_anda
04-15-2012, 11:44 AM
but my gran put a stop to it when the hay clogged up and broke our washing machine, what they neglect to tell you on the C&C cages site is
A. that hay and poo will come out of their Cubes and Cloroplast cages
B. the smell from week old fleece is revolting
C. the fleece can never be fully shook free of hay and such so it will build up in your machine.

...and people tell me I'm an idiot for saying that keeping a rodent on fleece is possibly the worst idea anyone ever came up with. Also I think the same about hedgehogs. I have trouble believing it can be considered hygienic in any shape or form. What people forget about is:
- any fabric will hold onto moisture, creating a wet/cold environment for the animal, which is unhealthy, even if they don't pee/poo everywhere, just in their litter box, what if the water bottle drips or the dish gets knocked over? Any wet stain will spread from the original source, potentially making the whole cage wet
- the animal could rip it up from the floor of the cage, making objects in the cage topple/fall over, potentially injuring cage mates - it doesn't matter if there's a peg/rock holding it down, they could still rip it and do the same thing.
- all fabrics hold onto smells, which is unpleasant, even after you wash something, a fleece blanket that is regularly under the animal will always smell.
- it will attract bed bugs
- any smears of food/poo won't absorb, attracting further insects unless you change the liner
- unnatural, no opportunity for the animal to forage, as there's nothing hidden, unlike in regular bedding.

Don't get me wrong, using fabrics in the cage has its place, in the form of sleeping bags, hammocks, etc. but it's an awful idea to use it as substrate. And everyone who thinks they'll be saving money through not using throwaway beddings, is wrong. By the time you buy enough fleece blankets to last several changes and the amount you'll be using your washing machine, so using lots of water and washing powder/conditioner [also you might have to buy separate hypoallergenic ones for your pets] you have probably spent just as much as you would if you used Megazorb for example. Not to mention the amount of time you'll be spending changing them to clean ones and replacing the ones that'd been ripped.

Also, if there are any animals/people who come into your house and bring in fleas or mites, you can pretty much expect to have to throw away all of the fleece that has been infested.

Shell
04-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Just to add.. for anyone who does want to bed their pigs on fleece (I know alot do ;) ) DO NOT use fabric softener. It will seal the pile of the fabric and pee will just puddle on top. Non-conditioned fleece should wick the mositure through to whichever absorbant material you chose underneath.

My pigs were bedded on fleece when the were indoors last winter and I used puppy training pads underneath - they're brilliant and hold not just the moisture but the smell too.

My lot had two cat litter trays filled with fresh hay so they could still forage and have the hay they need daily too ;)

P_Anda is right though, I found it not to be espsecially cost effective, as I usually replaced the fleeces after about half a dozen washes. I think if mine lived indoors all the time, it's probably not a bedding I would choose. It's a pain to keep tidy too, I spot cleaned morning and evening to get rid of the poops :) I did have four liviing together at the time, so for a pair it may not be too bad?

Horses for course I guess ;)

Sterluv
04-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Well, my brother has a guinea pig so I know a little.

Bedding: He just gives her aspen shavings which are really cheap. I've heard cedar is bad for them like hamsters, so avoid that.

Food: She gets bermuda grass daily along with Royal Feeds Guinea Pig Feed. She gets fresh food every day, such as kale, lettuce, carrots, broccoli, peppers, oranges, and cilantro. In moderation of course. I can not stress this enough: SHE EATS A LOT. She mows through food so fast.

Cage: Not excatly sure of the measurements...just know that it's pretty big. She just has a waterbottle, a chew treat, her food dish, and a plastic igloo in there. She spends a lot of time in that igloo. It is usually cleaned every week with soap and water. The bottom is scrubbed out with a bottle brush. The bedding is changed every time it is cleaned.

Attention: They require daily attention. She's taken out of her cage about three trimes a day and held in a towel. Make sure it is held in a towel. I've been peed on and that part of my pants was soaked. She's brushed a lot, too.

I wouldn't consider them inexpensive or easy keppers, exactly. She's quite a bit of work. Her name is Jenny. That's a picture of her on the lawn.

Mona's Humans
04-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Jenny is gorgeous :) does she not have a friend?

Keflan
04-19-2012, 05:46 PM
So its 1.43am and my 2 GPs started to fight! They were both making a purring like sound and both shaking like I said in my last post. Then all of a sudden they both went at it, ran into their house and started fighting. One came out with some fur in its mouth. Within the 15 mins they have had 2 fights, I have had to put a playpen down the centre of the cage to seperate them.

Any advice on if I should let them fight or split them up? Which means I would have to send one back as we only have 1 cage.

Mona's Humans
04-20-2012, 12:16 AM
Firstly, guineas can't live alone, so if this bonding doesn't work you'd really need to be prepared to try another guinea pig with them each. Our 3 are now 4 because of this. And just like with pairs of dwarves you need another cage ready at all times, it really should be like this with piggies too!

Fur in mouth could be 'barbering' and may not even be fighting. But if you saw aggressive behaviour too, then it could well be.

How much floor time do they get a day? and what size is their cage? as many commercial cages aren't big enough for one let alone 2 piggies. (having said that, mine have recently settled better into shop brought cages that are below advised size, that were going to be a temp cage, and now i'm not going to move them out of it, unless there's an issue as they really have calmed down, so one size doesn't always suit all)
How old are they?

Clean the cage thoroughly - remove the house and any items, except 2 water bottles, 2 food bowls, and a massive pile of hay, bath them both in the same guinea shampoo, dry them 110% and then put them into the new cage and see if things settle down. With Daily veggies, scatter feed or hand feed these, to avoid arguments.

ETA: Guinea Lynx has some fab information for piggie owners

Keflan
04-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Well we just cleaned the cage out yesterday and fed them some cucumber. They are out everyday for at least 1 hour to run around. We have a rabbit cage for them. Ferplast 100.

I was thinking of bathing them together. Which hopefully will get them to calm down.

A few sites said let them fight its to prove who is dominant in the cage, only take them out or seperate them if one bleeds.

Mona's Humans
04-20-2012, 07:51 AM
with piggies its complicated, and there's a difference between aggression fighting, and dominance fighting, i hate to say it, but the cage is the smallest we have, and its only being used for babies, so they may need an upgrade. They need between 2 - 3 hours floor time a day also to keep them at their healthiest. have you checked them for signs of ill health, as one will often attack the other if it is ill.

luvcats22
04-20-2012, 11:07 PM
pigs will fight if there isnt enough space, in my opinion your cage is too small.
to help prevent fighting most sites reccommend a cage of 4feet by 2feet minimum, plus two of everything, so two food bowls, bottles, houses, etc.
when i got my two boys they were 8 weeks old and brothers. when they hit the 6 month mark they had a few tussles which involved some minor fighting, a lot of noise and purring and some head displays. but now at 4 years old they are happy.
i disagree that they need 2-3 hours of floortime, my boys get around 30 minutes per evening and they have learnt to do the pee-pee dance to let me know they need a pee so i dont get wet patches on me or the floor ( its a simple dance involves them swaying their bums from side to side whilst nibbling/tugging on my clothes)
buddy baths can work, this is where they both get bathed together so they smell the same, also a dab of vicks vaporub on the rumps can confuse them. be careful when bathing as firstly they are surprisingly slippery when wet, and they dont like being bathed so will try to jump.
many pet shop cages are simply too small, have you thought of making a C&C cage? many of my friends use these. xx

Shell
04-21-2012, 02:26 AM
I agree with the suggestion of a C&C cage, if you can get your hands on the panels, it'll work out much cheaper for you than upgrading their cage.

A bath for your boys may be a good idea as (in theory) the shock of the situation should pull them together. I would clean their cage throughly whilst they are out of it and try and re-arrange things if you can so it looks a little different for them.

If neither has actually been hurt I wouldn't worry too much just yet, but keep a very close eye on them and be prepared to spilt them up.

When I first introduced Boris to my girls, Pippa (as dominant pig) was having non of it and both Boris lost a few chunks of fur in the push for top spot. Boris soon figured that she was never going to give though and backed down. The teeth-chattering is horrid once they start but it's a good warning for you that there is a high chance it's going to kick off!

One other thing I would suggest is to take out any hidey houses with one door and replace them with tunnels or step stools so neither can get cornered. I've got a couple from B&M bargains and they're only about a £1 each and perfectly piggie sized.

And lastly, if the worse happens and they do fight, don't put your hand in to split them up! Keep a towel or something by the cage that you can chuck over them. The sudden darkness with confuse them and should give you time to split them up.

Good luck! I hope your boys can work it out :)

Keflan
04-21-2012, 08:39 AM
C&C? Well we keep them inside. My girlfriend keeps them in her bedroom which isnt a big room, so that cage just about fits at the bottom of her bed.

We are buying some GP shampoo on Monday and going to bath them together hoping it will bring them close.

We have 2 water bottles but they only seem to use one. We have 2 food bowl, we have a house that came with the cage but we also bought some woodland logs to make a tunnel.

It first started as shaking then the other day one chased the other into the house and there was some sort of confrontations. Which one came out with some fur in the mouth after that they were fine for a few minutes till they started chattering their teeth which I knew it was going to kick off, so I split them up. We got them out of the cage to run around and they were fine, no fighting nothing, just sniffing each others bums.

Whats this B&M item? Step stools? How big are they?

Thanks.

Mona's Humans
04-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Definitely remove the house, as that will be an item that can cause territorial issues.

Keflan
04-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Should I put no wooden logs in then as they would fight over the wooden logs too as a house.

PinkPrincess
04-21-2012, 09:18 AM
I have 15 guinea pigs and they need alot of work.

Wow, 15 piggies?? :) They must take up a lot of your time, bet they give you lots of love tho. I'd love to see piccies, I love pigs :)

Mona's Humans
04-21-2012, 10:10 AM
the wooden logs are okay as they have two ends, and so a piggie can't be cornered in them, just don't put them up against the walls