PDA

View Full Version : How to Make Your Own Hamsters Toys

cutehammies
11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I have done two little videos now just showing some of the toys I make for my guys. I think that all these will be second nature to everyone on the forum, as everyone is so creative and makes far better things than me!

But lots of other people dont realise you can make your own, and thought Id do a little tutorial, and I thought that you might like to see? If you wana offer any constructive critism, feel free! ;)

First video:

gmvD_H7unYI

Second video:
kTsXNzADeNk

Hope you think they're alright! And sorry that probably you guys will be a bit bored watching them cos you do it all any way!! :)

Demecat
11-07-2011, 11:27 AM
These are great! I love the cracker lol

Just a word of warning, you may want to blacken out any brand names that you are not mentioning so the companies don't come after you...

Eleanor
11-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Cute videos! I love how easy you make it to understand what you're doing :)

jasperandseth
12-05-2011, 02:13 PM
quick question, is the A4 paper for the hamster cracker one ok for them? do they eat it or just nibble it off? im quite reluctant to put one in because i dont want to make my hammy sick :)

sully
12-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Like the x2 sheves!

cutehammies
12-06-2011, 05:12 AM
quick question, is the A4 paper for the hamster cracker one ok for them? do they eat it or just nibble it off? im quite reluctant to put one in because i dont want to make my hammy sick :)

I have always found that they never actually eat the paper, they just nibble it off to get inside. Its only like putting tissue paper bedding in their cages, or toilet roll tubes. I often see the left over nibble sized pieces of paper on the cage floor. Having said that, only put in what you are 100% comfortable with for your hamster. :)

Gizmo_Gonzalez
01-04-2012, 02:09 PM
They're quite cute cheap and simple to make. Nothing too technical and time consuming. Lovely ideas. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes the simplest inventions are the best

hannahbubble
01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I love these videos, as soon as my Ham is a bit tamer and comes out for play time I will be making all of these!

I hope you don't mind but I linked to your videos on my hamster blog on tumblr, the link is Cute Little Hammies (http://cutelittlehammies.tumblr.com).

If you want me to take them down I will do so feel free to PM me :)

jonimitchell
01-05-2012, 12:29 PM
cutehammies: I have seen your two homemade toy videos before, and your ideas are so cool! By the way, I have the things to make the cracker and I know the toilet roll middle is safe, but I'm really confused on wether plain paper would be definitely safe for my hamster.
I know you say your hamster doesn't really eat it, but my hamster might have a different personality and get sick :(
I have been looking for what other people think but some people say it's bad and some say alright.
When I found you on HC I thought I'd ask you :)

Amy
01-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Fab work! These will help me out lots :D Amy x

tjherman
01-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks for doing these videos! I'm going to try the toilet paper with treats inside with Poptart.

Jandrhamster
01-15-2012, 05:17 AM
Thanks for sharing these videos XD. with us.

Boo
01-27-2012, 01:55 AM
What absolutely fantastic ideas! I'm getting a new cage hopefully on Monday for my hamster, and I'm going to spend this weekend making the see-saw/ladder, and practising making the letters and other treat boredom busters! My hamster is going to LOVE her new cage with all these toys!

Thanks for sharing your videos :D

RachelAnne
05-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Some fab ideas!! Love them!!!!

HorseyMandz
05-27-2012, 04:16 AM
They should make this a sticky *cough cough*, so everyone knows how to make these brilliant little toys :)

Clare
05-30-2012, 05:40 AM
Just watched the first video, some really good ideas, must try them out :)

Amelioratione
05-30-2012, 07:42 AM
wow! very easy to follow! I watched them at work without sound and I totally understood what was going on. I will definitely have to rewatch with sound once I get home.

I know making homemade toys is easy, but sometimes I just get stumped on what to make. Thanks for the ideas! I think the popper and mail letter were so cute.

Cathii
06-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Great toys! I love the see-saw thing and the cracker xD

Johnnywalnuts
06-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Great videos! I too make my own toys. The American hamster toy market is so lame. I typically use Popsicle sticks and mon toxic Elmer's white glue. I've built new levels and ladders, it's just so much fun!

cathface
06-05-2012, 08:36 AM
all these ideas were great and I definitely will try at least a couple of them out! I did just try the paper cracker one with Hamburglar, and he absolutely loved it - immediately scampered out to chew on it, even at 4pm! however I would like to let people know that it should be given to their hams under supervision; Hamburglar only chewed a hole big enough to stuff his head in, but once he'd pouched even a little bit of the treats, he couldn't get back out! I had to unfurl one of the ends of the cracker so he could escape. other than being a little ruffled, he was fine. here are some pics I took before he tried to back out and got distressed at not being able to:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/lolasiansyeah/IMG_1386.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/lolasiansyeah/IMG_1389.jpg

I mean, it was adorable and certainly made me laugh but he did need help getting back out, so you may just want to keep an eye on them when they play with the cracker. :)

Arraminta
06-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Hahahaha love the pic of hamburglar's bum!! They are so funny when they just stuff their heads in things hahaha x

cutehammies
06-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Hehe I loved the pics of Hamburglar enjoying his cracker! Sorry about his head getting stuck though! I think all toys are best used only with supervision, that way we know they are ok. Heehee it was really cute pics! He's got a nice chubby bum x

Arraminta
06-22-2012, 09:51 AM
I love chubby Syrian bums!! Especially when they are waddling at high speed!! Lols soooooo cute :0)

Arraminta x

pinkneon
06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Saw these on youtube a few days ago (not sure if they were your videos or someone else's though) so made the cracker ... And it was totally ignored! She doesn't seem to understand what she needs to do with it!

HorseyMandz
06-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Stab it with a kitchen knife or pencil for the first time, and she'll understand. Minnie goes MAD for these now :)

pinkneon
06-23-2012, 01:34 AM
I did that and even went as far as breaking off one end but she just ignores them! Maybe I'm just not putting tasty enough food in there?!

bootsboy2
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
These are really cool toys, I'm going to use the cracker idea for my hamster.

HamsterRage
06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
this is awesome! I made a maze for my hamster when I was like 13 for a science project. (I think the science project was just and excuse to make him a maze!)

pinkneon
06-25-2012, 06:18 PM
What kind of hay did you use?

jonimitchell
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
These are amazing little toys for my hammies! Much better than some tiny foraging tubes at stores which are around a fiver! Love the cracker and parcel, a favourite of my syrian hamster! :D Thanks so much for uploading these, can't wait to try them out on my robos, they'll hopefully like them ;)

Womblehands
07-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Puff wont touch his cracker so i just emptied the treats into his bowl.. Peekio loves hers.. I cut a slit in the tube and it still wrapped well and she was able to get her booty out of it ok..
I also just fill the tubes and just fold the corners in..

HorseyMandz
07-04-2012, 12:47 PM
The cracker is a great way to keep 'em entertained, Minnie was a tad confused at first but now loves it and tries to climb up it while I'm putting it in her cage!

minkymagicmouse
07-08-2012, 11:13 PM
wow thats so cool !! thank you, i love the cracker i dea, ive used toilet roll tubes for him to chew on but never thought about giving him food with it, these are super idea's thank you.

minkymagicmouse
07-09-2012, 09:31 AM
i made the cracker and the one with the loo roll tube were you fold in the corners he struggles to get that one but hes got into a cracker while i was out i dunno how impressed he is with them lol as hes so use to me putting it on his second layer and him just going and scoffing, but i had fun making them, and its a fun way to give him his food, and it was super fun for me too as i had to fill it and i think at the moment ive had more fun than him lol .. but im sure once hes got up properly he will really enjoy them.

thank you for these as it helps him stop being bored, and hes something fun for him to do, :D

out of the cracker is carrot every were its so funny to see, hes not touched the other i guess its cos hes struggling but when hes more awake he may give it a good go and maybe just maybe this may stop him chewing that whole bigger till his cage comes :D he knows there is food in them any way now :D

LancashireLass
07-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Hi fantastic ideas, i'm certainly going to have a go at the crackers and the hamster playground, thank you.

sayuri123
07-21-2012, 11:55 AM
I think making your own toys is great... :grin:
however sometimes it can go wrong for example when making a tube with a toilet roll they can bite away at it and then its really the greatest toy after that! but some come out really well so if u r making ur own i think its great! my friend made one and still has even though they have passed away :(
bye the way what cage do u have......?