PDA

View Full Version : Cages for winter whites

chase
12-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I am sure I put Diddier my winter white away last night and his cage hadnt been moved at all. But this morning spotted him running along the edge of sitting room. He has never got out before. Have put him in an aquarium for now. Has anyone known them to get through bars before. He is :roll: an adult hammie and thank goodness unharmed. What do other poeple house them in?????? :roll:

souffle
12-28-2007, 01:04 PM
The can squeeze through quite small spaces or maybe the door was open or the cage not clipped on in place?
All ours are in Gabber or Duna type plastic tank type cages with bars only on the roof which we fins the dwarfs cannot reach.

monalipschitz
12-28-2007, 02:26 PM
I've been worrying about my winter white escaping too. He's in a Savic Rody and today I turned round from emptying his bowl to see him dangling by his teeth and front paws from the bars in the roof! I've put something over the bars nearest his wheel (I'm assuming he'd used that to climb up) and have my fingers crossed he doesn't get out.

Spuds Mum
12-28-2007, 02:35 PM
We keep our ww in a Gabber Lux, and the set up of the cage means she can get lots of interest and exercise wihtout being able to reach the bars in the roof. It is stunning the small spaces that they seem to be able to squeeze through and I would worry about keeping my Ice in a wired cage!
I'm so glad you got him back. Hope he doesn't do any more disappearing tricks!

Holly
12-28-2007, 02:46 PM
I had an incident with one of our winter whites, Sparrow, squeezing through the bars on a hamster playpen (1cm bar spacing) and getting stuck halfway so I think I'd worry about any barred cages, to be honest.

My two are in Gabber Lux cages which just have roof bars (smaller bar spacing than the Rex as well) and neither of them can reach the bars. To be 100% safe I don't give them any very tall toys and I don't hang things like millet sprays or dangly toys from the roof - just in case they climb up them.

What is the bar spacing on a Rody?

chase
12-29-2007, 04:03 AM
Thanks everyone he is in a plastic aquarium for now but going out today on a hunt for new house for him but not a cage. :lol:

monalipschitz
12-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I had an incident with one of our winter whites, Sparrow, squeezing through the bars on a hamster playpen (1cm bar spacing) and getting stuck halfway so I think I'd worry about any barred cages, to be honest.

My two are in Gabber Lux cages which just have roof bars (smaller bar spacing than the Rex as well) and neither of them can reach the bars. To be 100% safe I don't give them any very tall toys and I don't hang things like millet sprays or dangly toys from the roof - just in case they climb up them.

What is the bar spacing on a Rody?

The spacing is just under 1 cm (it's 1cm from the outside edge of one bar to the opposite edge of the next, if that makes sense). Will he be OK in that?

Holly
12-29-2007, 03:45 PM
The spacing is just under 1 cm (it's 1cm from the outside edge of one bar to the opposite edge of the next, if that makes sense). Will he be OK in that?

I'm not sure - I think if he can't actually reach it then it would be fine. The spacing's actually less than a centimetre so I'd have thought so but I'm no dwarf expert.

monalipschitz
12-29-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure - I think if he can't actually reach it then it would be fine. The spacing's actually less than a centimetre so I'd have thought so but I'm no dwarf expert.

Oh dear, he can reach it :( Found him swinging again today, like a mini circus act. I'll have to find a taller one quickly. Thanks :D

Holly
12-30-2007, 03:35 AM
No wait! I've compared the playpen bar spacing with that of our Gabber Lux (which I think is the same as your Rody) and there's definitely a difference in size. I don't think our ww's would get out of that even if they could reach it.

monalipschitz
12-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Phew, thanks so much :D

jayne
12-30-2007, 05:18 PM
I've been worrying about my winter white escaping too. He's in a Savic Rody and today I turned round from emptying his bowl to see him dangling by his teeth and front paws from the bars in the roof! I've put something over the bars nearest his wheel (I'm assuming he'd used that to climb up) and have my fingers crossed he doesn't get out.

I know exactly what you mean! Both my chinese learned this trick, Sour caught on to it about a month before she died and about 2 weeks before sweet died we caught her in the act..... :roll:

Here she is - although there is no way she would get through the bars and mine is a savic rody.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/jayne83/024.jpg

monalipschitz
12-31-2007, 02:30 PM

I know exactly what you mean! Both my chinese learned this trick, Sour caught on to it about a month before she died and about 2 weeks before sweet died we caught her in the act..... :roll:

Ahh, what a cute little thing. Yours seem more agile than mine - they've figured out how get their back legs up as well ;)

Umm, hope you don't mind me asking this delicate question, but was the swinging connected with their end? I mean it can't be good for their teeth.

jayne
01-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm really not sure what their cause of death was. Sour died first and when we found her in bed she had some dried blood on her nose.... not sure what this could have been :?
Sweet was found in bed with bedding stuffed in her mouth but with her mouth open so i have no idea what happened there, someone thought she may have had a heart attack.
Dont get me wrong, i was always worried when i first saw sour on the roof, call me a paranoid mother, i was always worried if she done it in the middle of the night and fell and seriously injured herself.
Unfortunately, there isnt really much you can do to stop them climbing, other than make sure you dont put anything tall directly underneath the roof. In this case the wheel, where they climbed up the back of the wheel :shock:

kimtekz
01-10-2008, 04:25 PM
very cute hamster :D