PDA

View Full Version : Covering wire floor

sarahfrod
10-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi! I have a cage with 3 storeys, 2 of which are wire. What is the best way to cover these? Any tips would be muchly appreciated!

souffle
10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
A lot of people use Lino. You can either get some scraps from a carpet / floor covering shop or you can buy a pack of the squares for £1 in most of the pound shops. It is cheap and easy to replace and can also be washed.

Nappo
10-24-2011, 02:45 PM
I can recommend hemp floor (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hay_and_bedding/hemp_bedding_small_pets/182988) :'D

SnickersTheFirst
10-25-2011, 07:42 AM
I use this:
Tima Small Pet Rug: Great Values on Small Pet Accessories at Zooplus (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/rodent__nests/34262)

It's a pack of two and they are quite big so should cover most levels.

Eleanor
10-25-2011, 07:45 AM
I can recommend hemp floor (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hay_and_bedding/hemp_bedding_small_pets/182988) :'D

Isn't hemp cannibis? Loool imagine if the hamster chewed it :') Probs doesn't affect them in the same way as humans but t'would still be funny

Gamina
10-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Isn't hemp cannibis? Loool imagine if the hamster chewed it :') Probs doesn't affect them in the same way as humans but t'would still be funny

Hemp is made from a cannabis genus plant but it is not the same plant from which the drug is taken. The plant used to create hemp fibres as well as hemp seeds which are eaten by animals as well as humans has a significantly lower level of THC so would not have the same effect as the drug. The plants look different in appearance too.

Eleanor
10-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Oh shhh. Ruin my fun! Would be funny though :')
I've been meaning to get hold of some hemp so I can crochet my hammies some beds and hammocks. :)

firedrake13
10-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Actually hemp doesn't contain THC so it wouldn't effect your hamster. I have hemp oil which is used for a million different things, but you can even drink the stuff to help treat some illnesses and there are no "side effects" that your thinking of.

Eleanor
10-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Hehe. It was my dad that made me think of it but yeh, i guess it would be complete nonsense as they wouldn't sell it otherwise.

firedrake13
10-25-2011, 08:19 AM
This stuff is amazing (*WARNING* the main page of the following website has pictures of second degree burns treated by the product on a girls arm so please click with caution if this may upset you!!!!! Itch-A-Way (http://belizehemp.com/) I got it when I was in Belize Central America, it's used to just about everything which they talk about on their site. I even used it on my dog when she was having really bad hives on her belly due to a grain allergy, and it cleared it up in days. It's also used in the treatment of mange on dogs and cats. But anyway, the hemp mats should be just fine for your hamsters!! lol

sarahfrod
10-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Hehe, thanks all! I am on the hunt for hemp ;) x

sarahfrod
10-27-2011, 06:01 AM
I have ordered the hemp - how can I attach it to the wire floor? xx

fluffymunchkins
10-27-2011, 10:01 AM
What is the hemp formed like?
If its like a carpet I would cable tie it on. If not then I would weave it round the wire :)

CoolcatNatNat44
10-27-2011, 10:03 AM
My dad wont let me use anything to do with hemp for the hams, since its near enough the same as cannabis? :/

Nappo
10-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Yep, it's like a natural carpet :'D
Coolcat , it does not have anything to do with the drug, it's comparable to thick ropes out of hemp, maybe you can allay your dads doubts by showing him a wikipedia article or something similar :>
My english is not good enough to explain the difference xDD

Demecat
10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
"Hemp is the natural, durable soft fiber from the stalk of Cannabis sativa plants that grow upwards of 20 feet tall. Cannabis plants used for hemp production are not valued for recreational uses, as the plants that are cultivated for hemp produce minimal levels of the psychoactive compound THC. Cannabis plants intended for any drug cultivation is not so easy to hide in a hemp field either, as the size and height of each are significantly different."

sarahfrod
10-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes, hemp is not going to harm hamsters, or anything else for that matter. Hemp has been used for years and years for household things (think sackcloths) and is now a popular material for organic clothing.

I'm quite excited about creating a carpet for Muffin! Hope it lasts a while...x