PDA

View Full Version : hello

ian
12-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Hello I'm Ian from Plymouth, I have one hamster who is around 5-6 monthsand she is massive.
She is called Imogen
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/snailfamily/Imogen.jpg

I am quite interested in showing her in a pet class of a rodent show, i also have 4 mice which i may be interested in showing depending how they grow as thye are only babies at the moment. If anyone has any info about shows in my area (devon) please let me know.

Thank You :D

souffle
12-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Welcome Ian and Imogen is just a gorgeous. A long haired black eyed cream if I am not mistaken :lol: There are a few shows in your area and if you contact The South of England hamster club or look on their site you should be able to find out when they are. Any small and furry pet can be entered in Pet class at shows so your mice can go in that class. Look forward to hearing more about you cuties.

Basia
12-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi Ian and welcome from me too. Imogen is a gorgeous girl, I have a real soft spot for black-eyed creams. :D

pophammy
12-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum! Your hammy is gorgeous!

annc
12-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Welcome to the forum. Imogen is beautiful.

Spuds Mum
12-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Hi and welcome. Imogen is lovely girl, and I love her name too.

ian
12-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Thank you everyone for your lovely replies.

Ive been on the soehc website and found a show in Dawlish, which is closish to me, in April. Imogen and I are very excited about competing :D !!

souffle
12-16-2007, 12:20 PM
You could even enter her in the Main Show. Her class would be LH cream and you could also enter Novice. E-mail or call the secretary and she will talk you though it nearer the time. The mice can go in pets :lol:

ian
12-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Don't they have to be well bred to compete in the proper bit?!

Imogen isn't from a breeder unfortunately, she's a rescue.

Spuds Mum
12-16-2007, 03:34 PM
No, hamster shows can be for all hamsters, they just have to conform to the 'standards' for that colour and breed. In the pet section hamsters are judged on condition and tameness only, rather than colours etc. In the main show, the hamsters are awarded points based on
colour and markings (30 points)
type (25 points) - the body shape and head shape which should be broad and cobby, with a head well set into the body with a broad skull and short face.
fur (20 points) based on length and density of the fur including the belly fur
size (10 points) the hamster should be as large as possible without being fat
condition (10 points) the hamster should be fit, and healthy
eyes and ears (5 points) large eyes, widely set apart. Large ears also set well apart and carried erect when the hamster is awake.

entering in the main show does make for a longer day as the hamster needs to be in the show first thing and then stay until all judging is over, but its a great way of meeting people and finding out more about hamster showing and 'what makes a good show hamster'. I've seen people who enter their animal in the pets firstly and then at a further show enter in the main show on the advice of the pet judge.
The advantage of the pet section for a 'newbie' is that you can just arrive before the pet section is judged (usually in the afternoon).

Imogen is a cute girl and I would encourage you to take her along either way.

PS - we love people who give homes to rescues - well done you! :x

Holly
12-17-2007, 03:20 AM
Hi and welcome to you and Imogen from me also - she's gorgeous :)

suga
12-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Your girl is just lovely - welcome from me too :-)

babyboos
12-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Imogen is absolutely gorgeous
good luck whatever you decide - pets or main show
I really hope you get to go along as it is an amazing experience

Spacemonkey
12-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi Ian, I do believe we have bumped into each other on Petstreet!

Imogen is simply adorable, good luck in the show :D

ian
12-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey, yes I am on petstreet as are all of my furries! Are your animals one of my pets 'friends'? :lol:

Im sooo excited about the show, I think it will be great. Still not sure whether to go for the pet or the main section. I think it might depend on how early I can get to the venue for!?

Spacemonkey
12-20-2007, 03:17 AM
Yes, my Louis is 'friends' with Imogen. That site is really good :wink:

ian
12-20-2007, 06:10 AM
There are some very knowledgeable peole there and lots of interesting subjects covered in the discussion forums. I think it needs a lot more members though as it can be a bit slow!

Spacemonkey
12-20-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm not sure how long its been going, not that long I think. It has a few famous members though which is cool, I've seen Bruce Forsyth and his daughter on there :D

ian
12-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Wow think i might have to go and have a search for some famous animal people!

Ive got some new pics of Imogen, ive got nowhere else to put them so here they go!!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/snailfamily/immyinhut.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/snailfamily/Immywithball.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/snailfamily/Imogenmidbath.jpg

Spuds Mum
12-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Oh Imogen is a real beauty. She looks quite like my big girl LH red-eyed cream, Butterbean in the face.
I love that photo of her peering out of the yellow house. Mine have the playpen too, but spend most of their time climbing out of it rather than playing in it!

ian
12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
I accidentally had the flash on for the pic in the hut, she was not impressed with that!!

I made the mistake of thinking she would be safe in the pen while I nipped to the kitchen, when I got back she had escaped and was hiding under the sofa! Luckily she popped right out to see me.

souffle
12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
All ours can escape from those pens except the dwarfies. They spend all their type trying to jump over the edge. Constant supervision is needed :wink:
If you have any more pics of young Imogen you can post them under the Syrian Hamster section if you like.

ian
12-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Ok I will do, I have many photos and will almost certainly have many hundreds more in the future-i hope everyone is prepared! :P

I think the pen is great as it allows her a good amount of exercies without being in her ball which ive read can cause joint damage if used excessively, she also doesnt use her wheel!
I put my mice in there afterwards and only one of the four figured out how to climb up and she climbed to the top and jumped back in! Maybe mice aren't as smart as hamsters?!