PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tonto

Basia
12-14-2007, 08:53 AM
I am feeling very sad today because I had to have one of my guinea pigs put to sleep this morning. :cry:
He was only 18 months old, a tricolour abyssinian. He was very subdued and clearly not himself yesterday bedtime so I kept in him in a travel crate in our 'spare' bathroom overnight. This morning he was having fits. The vet told me to bring him straight down but when she saw him she said the kindest thing would be to help him on his way. I am feeling bad enough but his cage mate, Teddy, is squeaking relentlessly today. It is heartbreaking. They weren't actually litter brothers, Teddy is a rex who is totally blind, but they were in the same cage at the petshop and I have kept them together since they were tiny babies.
RIP Tonto, we all miss you.

Jane
12-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Awww no I'm so sorry for your loss :cry: :cry:

RIP Tonto xx Have fun at the bridge :(

Spacemonkey
12-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Oh how sad :( RIP Tonto x

Spuds Mum
12-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Oh how sad Gill, poor little Tonto, and poor Teddy too.
I'm so sorry for your loss, but you know you did the right thing.
Sleep well little Tonto man xx

souffle
12-15-2007, 03:32 AM
I am deeply sorry for your loss. He is away from his pain now and you gave him rest when he needed it most.
Poor Teddy he will be so confused and not know what has happened. Could I suggest you go to the charity shop and buy a furry toy that is the closest shape you can get to a guinea pig, rub it in the bedding then put it by Teddy. It may offer him some comfort to cuddle up to. Keep him warm and quiet and if you have any Avipro you could add it to his food as it will help with the stress. Even some of the human homeopathic remedies such as Bach flower or arnica may help him. I hope he feels better soon and settles a bit.

Basia
12-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks for your kind comments. I feel a bit better today, it was quite a shock.
Teddy seems more settled today too. I have been giving him lots of treats and he does love his food. His squeaks are back to 'you must have something to feed me' rather than the folorn crying of yesterday. I think he may bounce back quicker than me.

Spuds Mum
12-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Thoughts are with you Gill. I know its hard, and harder because sometimes you may feel as though you are not justified in grieving as Tonto was 'just an animal', but you are feeling his loss, and are entitled to feel sad and upset. Hugs to you x

pophammy
12-15-2007, 03:25 PM
So sorry for your loss. R.I.P Tonto, and my thoughts are with you and Teddy. :cry:

Holly
12-17-2007, 03:24 AM
Sorry to hear about Tonto, Basia :(

I hope Teddy is beginning to feel a little better?