PDA

View Full Version : training robos?

daffee
12-06-2007, 10:24 AM
This might sound like a strange question, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to teach a robo not to do something?

Basically, little Sprite has always been a bit cheeky and has a tendency to chew on rings or fingers when she has had enough of being held. But she seems to be doing it more often now and last night she bit my OH quite hard on his hand. Now she has never drawn blood or anything but when she has her teeth dug in she can bite down pretty hard and I'm worried that it might progress to something more serious if we let her keep on doing it.

So does anyone have any suggestions for how we can teach her not to do it? I'm worried that we might hurt her in reacting to the bite as she is so small and fragile. With our rats we would tell them no really sternly but I can't see that working with a tiny hamster :? Any ideas?

Matty Day
12-06-2007, 12:10 PM
I don’t have robos but i have Chinese hamsters. one of mine had a nipping tendency but trained it out of her by when she had a nibble i said no and returned the hams back to there tank. and she nibbles no more.

souffle
12-06-2007, 12:19 PM
When anyone tries to nibble we blow gently, a short puff on the face and say no. It usually stops them as it gives them a surprise. We do not put them back in the cage but keep handling as sometimes they will bite if they think they can get back home! Be sure there is no smell on your hands which might tempt them to nibble. I dont think the like the alcohol rub gel stuff much so this can distract them from biting.

daffee
12-06-2007, 02:50 PM
That's great, thanks for the advice. Will try that next time.