PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Breeder/Shower looking for New Stock

Holly
12-03-2007, 05:11 AM
A very nice Dutch woman called Marloes has contacted me via my website as she is trying to find new baby hamsters to increase her unrelated breeding stock. She seems really nice and has sent me photos of her cages - they are all Ferplast Marys or very large European style home-made cages.

She is coming to the Bradford Show at the end of January along with a group of Dutch breeders so the babies would need to be ready to leave by then. She is looking for healthy show animals with known pedigrees of any colour except roans.

Unfortunately I won't have a litter until much later next year but have offered to post her details in the forums in case anyone else can help :)

I can provide a link to her website and other photos of her set up if anyone thinks they might be able to help?

Basia
12-03-2007, 06:58 AM
She contacted me too. I sent her details of the regional clubs and towy vale to try.

souffle
12-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Us too. Pophammy has said she will ask at the next show. Looks like she has been doing the rounds but it would be nice if someone could do a ham swap and bring in some dutch lines.

Holly
12-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Funnily enough we all have links to each others websites on our own! I expect she's contacted Spud's Mum as well :wink:

Spuds Mum
12-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Gosh do I feel unloved! No we haven't been contacted, however if anyone does want to refer her to our website we may well have a litter of goldens for the Bradford show! :wink:

Holly
12-03-2007, 01:49 PM
I'll email he back tonight and tell her :)

I_am_plankton
12-03-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't think you can sell at Bradford - see BVH's comment on hamster forum :S

Spuds Mum
12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
BVH? sorry Leanne - I'm unsure what that means. I am a bit thick! :?
I wonder what she will do then if she comes all the way from Holland to the show for that reason :shock:
Not too bad for us anyway if she does contact us. If she is travelling by ferry from Hull or by air from Humberside she would only be 5 mins away from us anyway!

Holly
12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
BVH= Bourne Valley Hams

I thought that myself, Teresa - they could come to you!

Spuds Mum
12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Oh sorry - Bourne Valley - for some reason I thought the B stood for Bradford and then I couldnt think of the rest! Doh :shock:

babyboos
12-03-2007, 02:18 PM
I would want to be sure they had all the necessary paperwork in place - it is not just a case of turning up at the ferry with a few cages of baby hamsters... I know hamsters have been smuggled into UK from Europe in recent times but this is really not to be encouraged. Has she been in touch with DEFRA?

Spuds Mum
12-03-2007, 02:50 PM
I would want to be sure they had all the necessary paperwork in place - it is not just a case of turning up at the ferry with a few cages of baby hamsters... I know hamsters have been smuggled into UK from Europe in recent times but this is really not to be encouraged. Has she been in touch with DEFRA?

yes you are right Babyboos, I know from previously having to arrange for a cat to trravel to Germany that there is a lot of paperwork involved. from what I remember, it is not too bad to take them out of the country but with this cat we had to make sure they would let her back in again! food for thought indeed!

Holly
12-04-2007, 10:27 AM
From what I understood she's coming over with experienced Dutch breeeders who've taken hamsters back with them before - but it will obviously be essential to check they know what they are doing :shock:

babyboos
12-04-2007, 05:17 PM
absolutely - I know of some very experienced English breeders who smuggled hamsters from Europe to England which I am afraid I don't wholly approve of :? it is possible to do it honestly, and okay the paperwork and vet forms are a pain but far better than hiding hamsters in unsuitable places... I do hope she gets what she wants though, and joins us too :P - do let her know about HC, would be nice to get some European perspective on breeding etc.