PDA

View Full Version : What are those things on the Gabber Rex?

sammys/mum
11-29-2007, 02:49 PM
I just bought a Gabber off Ebay! It came today and all was well, I put it together and everything was fine. But I noticed to really big holes either side of the wire bit. They wer indented and obviously were meant to be there! So? What are they?
If you know please say!

Spuds Mum
11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I think the manufacturers designed this for the water bottles, but you can't get these water bottles in the UK. We use them to push a length of millet through sometimes or a treat stick!
congratulations on getting a Gabber Rex though, I find them to be great cages. Love them! :D

souffle
11-29-2007, 04:21 PM
I believe they are, as Holly says, for vertical drop water bottles. We use the holes on the side though and put a cord elastic through the two small homes to hold the bottle in place :lol: Dwarf and baby hamsters cannot reach the pre- drilled hole in the lid so you need to either put it over the platform or have a little block for them to climb on. We have drilled a lower hole in the coloured side for our little ones.

babyboos
11-29-2007, 04:43 PM
I hang millet sprays from one - beware dwarf hamsters can climb the spray and get out and the other I hang a water bottle from. It has a plastic hole in the top of the bottle so you can thread wire through it out this indented hole and attach the other end to the wire roof - hope this makes sense. Ask around water bottles with holes/hooks on top are out there, online and in petshops. I have seen them on eBay too. I get mine from Batley's, which is the wholesaler a lot of petstores use.

Spuds Mum
11-30-2007, 03:13 AM
I hang millet sprays from one - beware dwarf hamsters can climb the spray and get out and the other I hang a water bottle from. It has a plastic hole in the top of the bottle so you can thread wire through it out this indented hole and attach the other end to the wire roof - hope this makes sense. Ask around water bottles with holes/hooks on top are out there, online and in petshops. I have seen them on eBay too. I get mine from Batley's, which is the wholesaler a lot of petstores use.

What a good idea Babyboos, I never would have thought of that!! We have some of those bottles with a hanging 'eye-hole' at the top. We have a 'bottle chewer' hamster and resorted to taking a bottle away all together and just leaving her with the water in the food bowl, but I may try it your way, I think she wouldnt chew the bottle as much as there is too much movement that it wouldnt be satisfying for her. (that probably doesnt make sense but I know what I mean). Thanks! :x

DonnaB
11-30-2007, 06:44 AM
I just assumed they were 'air' holes.... silly me! :lol:

I have my water bottle over a little shallow bowl, gives her something to climb on and catches any drips,.... though I dont think she uses the bottle at all. :?