PDA

View Full Version : Is this a crazy idea for a new enclosure?

namrufmo
10-10-2011, 04:06 PM
I want a BIG enclosure for my hammy. I think bin cages look awful - at least in a living room. I want something "classy" So I want to buy this cherry bookcase. It's 54" tall, 16" deep, and 32" wide.

I plan to notch out each shelf in the back to make room for a ramp. I kinda drew in what they will look like. I'll add a 1.5" strip of wood around the edge of each shelf to keep the shavings from falling out. I'm going to paint the whole inside in 100% non-toxic Eco Paint. Drill holes for 2" vents on each shelf (1 on the side of each shelf and 3 in the back). Lastly I'll install red LED lights on each shelf and set them on a timer. I've already tested the lights and my hammy doesn't even notice.

Any idea/opinions/advice?

mojolicious
10-10-2011, 10:09 PM
I idly considered something similar, but the only case I liked was some French Napoleonic thing on eBay which went for £800. I ruled out 95% of candidates because they were too shallow but 16" sounds fine, although I assume that's an external measurement?

The big concern is ventilation. The Zoozone 1's lid is 21.5" x 12.5", which gives roughly 270² inches of 'air'. There are members here who wouldn't consider a ZZ1 or any other tank/bin cage because they believe hamsters require the airflow that comes from a traditional barred design.

Your proposed 5x 2" circular vents gives 16² inches of ventilation per level. Yes, you've airflow on three sides rather than just the top, but if the case is placed against a wall there's really not going to be much air movement coming from that direction.

If you can create a 12" x 3" aperture across each side, and another two in the back, you'll have 144² inches of ventilation. I personally would be happy with that much, and hopefully it wouldn't cause too much structural damage! There's no need to use plain meshing: you can buy decorative punched metal sheets, and if you're confident that the lil' critter can't access them you could use MDF sheet radiator covers, which would be easier to work with and easier to 'blend' with the case. Just remember that the fancier the design, the worse the hole:nonhole ratio will be.

Presumably the shelves are on pegs and can be moved. To my mind any more than two shelves of accommodation would be overkill. I would a) discard one shelf, b) position the remaining two shelves to create two 18" levels (putting the vents out of reach) and c) use the lowest level for storage of hamsterjunk; you can always hide this portion by applying frosted film to the glass.

If the unit is pre-assembled and the shelves are fixed then there's a problem: I doubt any of the levels, with the possible exception of the lowest one, could accommodate an 11" wheel. Oh, and make it impossible to clean, of course...

Just putting a 1.5" strip at the front would make cleaning a nightmare. I'd go for a 4" strip around the whole perimeter of the shelf (more if you're generous with substrate) and create a 'bakers tray' which can be removed and emptied with minimal spillage. Perspex would be a grand alternative, although much harder to work with.

You also need to ensure that there's no space between the shelves and the glass. A small gap will allow muck to fall down the front of the case. A larger gap could result in either a wedged hamster or a full-on Code Red Security Breach…

namrufmo
10-11-2011, 04:05 AM
I idly considered something similar, but the only case I liked was some French Napoleonic thing on eBay which went for £800. I ruled out 95% of candidates because they were too shallow but 16" sounds fine, although I assume that's an external measurement?

The big concern is ventilation. The Zoozone 1's lid is 21.5" x 12.5", which gives roughly 270² inches of 'air'. There are members here who wouldn't consider a ZZ1 or any other tank/bin cage because they believe hamsters require the airflow that comes from a traditional barred design.

Your proposed 5x 2" circular vents gives 16² inches of ventilation per level. Yes, you've airflow on three sides rather than just the top, but if the case is placed against a wall there's really not going to be much air movement coming from that direction.

If you can create a 12" x 3" aperture across each side, and another two in the back, you'll have 144² inches of ventilation. I personally would be happy with that much, and hopefully it wouldn't cause too much structural damage! There's no need to use plain meshing: you can buy decorative punched metal sheets, and if you're confident that the lil' critter can't access them you could use MDF sheet radiator covers, which would be easier to work with and easier to 'blend' with the case. Just remember that the fancier the design, the worse the hole:nonhole ratio will be.

Presumably the shelves are on pegs and can be moved. To my mind any more than two shelves of accommodation would be overkill. I would a) discard one shelf, b) position the remaining two shelves to create two 18" levels (putting the vents out of reach) and c) use the lowest level for storage of hamsterjunk; you can always hide this portion by applying frosted film to the glass.

If the unit is pre-assembled and the shelves are fixed then there's a problem: I doubt any of the levels, with the possible exception of the lowest one, could accommodate an 11" wheel. Oh, and make it impossible to clean, of course...

Just putting a 1.5" strip at the front would make cleaning a nightmare. I'd go for a 4" strip around the whole perimeter of the shelf (more if you're generous with substrate) and create a 'bakers tray' which can be removed and emptied with minimal spillage. Perspex would be a grand alternative, although much harder to work with.

You also need to ensure that there's no space between the shelves and the glass. A small gap will allow muck to fall down the front of the case. A larger gap could result in either a wedged hamster or a full-on Code Red Security Breach…

Thanks! A few comments...there is only 1/16" between the shelves and the glass....definetly not enough room for an escape. The entire unit is 16" so the total inside dimention is 15 1/2"...considering my current tank ( a 20g long) is 12" deep this is a big improvement.

The shelves, minus the middle shelf, are adjustable. I was planning of doing the shelf spacing like this: 13", 11", 13", 11".....that way I could have my two 11" wodent weels in there. One on shelf #1, and one on shelf #3.....

I know Home Depot makes larger vents in different shapes..I'll check them out. I could always add a second round vent to each shelf as well...

namrufmo
10-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Would adding two of these on the sides of each shelf be better? They're 2 1/2" x 8 1/2"

http://www.amazon.com/Black-2-3-8-5-Vent-Grill/dp/B000MD5O4W

mangoandmimi
10-11-2011, 01:50 PM
nice idea, but the ventilation definitely needs some altering.. vents are fine for reptiles who need humidity, but in a cabinet behind glass on a hot day with only vents for air, would not be very nice at all :mad:
how about cutting out the entire side and filling it with mesh? or well cutting out a big square for each level on each side.

souffle
10-11-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a friend who made cages from a similar type of bookcase in the UK. He is currently changing back to regular style cages because despite all his efforts in painting and waterproofing the insides plus adding pull out plastic trays you just cannot keep these clean and dry. Hamster wee always soaks into the wood and they wee over the trays and the smell gets awful. You can't clean them easily either and certainly can't soak the wood. He also added ventilation slats but found these inadequate as well as proving rather attractive chew points for hamsters! They can and do chew the wood and escape is not that hard either.
Sorry but I thought it best to point out the pitfalls from experience so you can make a balanced decision.

namrufmo
10-12-2011, 03:45 PM
I've given the ventalation issue some thought and I think I might have come up with a solution - computer fans. I could mount a small, silent, computer fan to the back of each level (where a vent is) this would pull air in (or push it out).

thoughts?

mojolicious
10-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Presumably you'd want the fans to draw air into the cage, and would still have ventilation (proper 'open' ventilation rather than louvres) to encourage circulation.

Have you looked at how you'd control the fan speed and switching? There are products such as this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucky-Reptile-Terra-Terrarium-Circulation/dp/B003LYDAQI) (have seen them much cheaper) which have some sort on inbuilt thermal control.

I'd be concerned that by the time you've provided a fix for all four levels then a) you've significantly increased the cost of the project, and b) you'll have something that looks more like a server rack than a piece of furniture.

The more I think about it the more it sounds as though it would be a non-runner (for me, personally).

One think I'd investigate would be replacing the glass with some *exquisite* metal lattice/grill/thing that is...
a) sufficiently 'dense' to be escape proof
b) sufficiently 'open' to allow good airflow and good visibility
c) safe, from both chewability and 'help! my leg's stuck!' perspectives
d) urine-proof
e) aesthetically pleasing

Would take some seaching of architectural supply catalogues to find something that ticks all the boxes, but given the cost of other ventilation solutions you should have the budget for it and you'll end up with something that's still 'furniture'.

souffle
10-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Personally I would never risk having anything electrically run either attached or near the cage. A hamster can perform the most amazing feats and there would be a risk of it accessing either the electrics or a moving fan. Draughts are more dangerous to hamsters than cold / heat and a fan would not be easy to control. I like the idea above of replacing the glass better.

firedrake13
10-13-2011, 06:37 AM
I don't think a computer fan is a good idea personally, they arn't made for this type of thing first off, and secondly you would have to find some way to keep your hamster from being able to put paws, nose, head, ect into moving fan and getting hurt or worse. Also my third concern is the electric run fan, chewing wires and again getting hurt or worse. Fourth concern would be the fan could provide good means of escape. And lastly, as souffle mentioned drafts from the fan running. Imagine this, being a hamster in an enclosed space, a fan running pulling air into your home, and not being able to get away from it.

mojolicious
10-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Some of these (http://www.brass-grilles.co.uk/interwoven_brass_decorative_grilles.html) would look absolutely beautiful in a 'money no object' sort of way.

namrufmo
10-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I never meant actually putting the fan INSIDE the enclosure. I was thinking maybe mounting it behind the vent...so actually on the back of the cage itself.

Since that doesn't sound great I'll look into some mesh and see where that leads...

namrufmo
10-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Ebay actually sells expanded metal! I might just replace the glass with some of this kinda stuff:

1/2 X # 16 FLATTEN EXPANDED METAL STEEL SHEET 12 X 48 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-X-16-FLATTEN-EXPANDED-METAL-STEEL-SHEET-12-X-48-/160538024689?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2560cfdaf1)

mojolicious
10-13-2011, 03:28 PM
That looks as though it ticks most of the boxes, as long as it's not cheese-grater sharp (and looking at better pics from the same shop it looks okay). Can you buy slightly larger sheets from anywhere else?

namrufmo
10-13-2011, 03:35 PM
I've seen Ebay selling 48" x 96"....Im gonna check a local scrap yard tomorrow to see if they have any in stock...

Cookiemistress
10-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Have you thought of meshing the front? That way your hammy would get better ventilation
Maybe put a lip at the edge of the shelves to keep litter in?

namrufmo
10-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Have you thought of meshing the front? That way your hammy would get better ventilation
Maybe put a lip at the edge of the shelves to keep litter in?

Cookie you're like my students...you didn't read! :)

I am going to remove the glass and replace it with expanded steel mesh. And I am going to add a lip to all the shelves! :)

firedrake13
10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
I never meant actually putting the fan INSIDE the enclosure. I was thinking maybe mounting it behind the vent...so actually on the back of the cage itself.

Since that doesn't sound great I'll look into some mesh and see where that leads...

:mad: Goes to show how creative I am...thats all I thought of!! I'd still think not the best idea, but, sounds like you've got a lot of good alternatives! :) If you do make this, I'm looking forward to pictures!

namrufmo
10-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Fire I'm not going to need any fans if I mesh the entire front. I'll still add some round vents to the back so that air can pass totally through the enclosure....

and I am going to make it...I just ordered the paint! Cost $40 for a quart :O

It'll look something vaguely similar to this...but additional vents on the back.

namrufmo
10-15-2011, 05:20 AM
Out of curiosity....why didn't anyone tell this guy he needs more air flow/vents?

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/10245-my-new-homemade-cage-2.html

mojolicious
10-15-2011, 09:59 AM
It was only this year we established that hamsters require oxygen.

Possibly.

namrufmo
10-15-2011, 02:34 PM
:D Thats what I was thinking...

StarlightSerenity
10-15-2011, 02:40 PM
I dont think you would need to replace the glass if you added ventilation panels to each level (both sides and back), plus a larger one on the top of it.

Replacing the glass would probably defeat the object of using a beautiful piece of furniture...

mojolicious
10-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Shhh, it's taken this long to convince namrufmo to go for wire!

If done properly a mesh front can look really nice. Have a google and you'll find any number of shabby chic French larders and cupboards (at ridiculous prices). And of course it allays any concerns about ventilation.

By my reckoning a meshed front will provide around 220² inches of ventilation per level (plus namrufmo will be putting a couple of vents in the back to encourage airflow). To get anywhere near that through adding vents to the sides and back will (in my opinion) result in an 'industrial' looking cabinet.

Regarding the cabinet linked by namrufmo a few posts back, drilled holes would be more attractive than vents, but...

0.5" drill bit = 0.2² inch hole
drilling on a 1" grid = 80(ish) holes per row around back and sides
Venting per row = 16² inches
Venting per six rows = 96² inches
Holes per level = 480
Total holes = 1920

That's probably an adequate level of ventilation (bearing in mind that they're simply holes, which should be more effective than louvered vents) but it's an awful lot of drilling...

Wire FTW!

namrufmo
10-15-2011, 08:48 PM
These are the vents I'll use on the back..
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/26/26647581-05c7-48c9-b534-bd080efb62a4_300.jpg

And I agree...a wire mesh painted black will still look attractive...I'll try that route and see how it looks...

namrufmo
10-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I want to add a few water bottles...maybe even one for each level. Whats the best way to attach them to a solid wall? Suction cups won't work....

Demecat
10-17-2011, 02:58 PM
I want to add a few water bottles...maybe even one for each level. Whats the best way to attach them to a solid wall? Suction cups won't work....

If you could get a suction cup clip one so the cup remans attatched when you remove the bottle, you could glue the cups?

namrufmo
10-17-2011, 05:10 PM
If you could get a suction cup clip one so the cup remans attatched when you remove the bottle, you could glue the cups?

I'm having trouble finding something like this in the USA

namrufmo
10-29-2011, 05:55 PM
I started it!

Teddybearhamster420
10-29-2011, 06:01 PM
0.5" drill bit = 0.2² inch hole
drilling on a 1" grid = 80(ish) holes per row around back and sides
Venting per row = 16² inches
Venting per six rows = 96² inches
Holes per level = 480
Total holes = 1920

!!!!!!!!!! I have NOIDEA what you said here.

namrufmo: It looks awesome! I LOOOVEEEE it :D *Jealous* ;)

namrufmo
10-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Day 2...vent holes and back added.

Now I'll add the vents and paint the inside in 100% organic white paint. :)

namrufmo
11-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Day 3

Painted the inside with 100% non-toxic, organic paint. Installed vents. Starting to build ramps to each level. :D

Eleanor
11-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Ohh it's looking really great so far! Can't wait to see it finished :D

namrufmo
11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Finally getting around to making some of the ramps and sandboxes...

*Note* The ramps do not have the steps on them yet...

Eleanor
11-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Brilliant! :D

namrufmo
11-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I want to give Pravandi credit for how I build my houses. They can be taken apart at each level for cleaning...

namrufmo
11-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Nearly done!

Just need to add a few more goodies (sand box, etc) to the inside and mount the doors! :)

You can even nsee it in "night view"!

CoolcatNatNat44
11-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Looks amazing! But isnt that going to be a nightmare to clean? lol :mad:

namrufmo
11-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Nah...I never take out ALL the bedding. I clean the bathroom area daily and then do to 50% change evry week.

laurajane
11-12-2011, 10:15 AM
woah that looks amazing!!! :D xx

Eleanor
11-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Wow, that's amazing! I wish I could make something like that :(

namrufmo
11-12-2011, 06:09 PM
It's really easy actually....all you need it time, a table saw, and MONEY.

Between buying special paint and supplies it's cost me around $300. I wanted an enclosure I could proudly put in my living room and have it actually look like furniture.

namrufmo
11-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Done! Just needs the doors attached.

sully
11-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Have you got the doors on yet?

vanilla-yazoo
11-17-2011, 05:24 PM
this is amazing!!
i wish my hutch stayed better.. nemesis chewed her way into freds level, had it been for one hammy and had the ladder it wouldnt have been a problem, im reluctant to use it now tho as she had a serious illness.

this is soo awesome!!! cant wait to see it with all the bedding wheel and hammy in!

namrufmo
11-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Done! He moves in tonight!

*Note* There will be a second water bottle and Wodent Wheel on the bottom floor once he moves in. :D

vanilla-yazoo
11-19-2011, 05:50 PM
that is awesome!!! cant wait to see him in it !!! well done for making this! :D

namrufmo
11-19-2011, 05:56 PM
As soon as he wakes up :D

Eleanor
11-20-2011, 07:19 AM
That's amazing! I bet he is very excited, I can't wait to see photos of him exploring his new home :D

sully
11-27-2011, 04:42 PM
As soon as he wakes up :D

Have i missed the unveiling?

namrufmo
11-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Lol..yes. He's been in it for a week now...and LOVES it. He spend the bulk of his time on the botoom floor where his nest/wheel are. I have bowls on every level and they are empty in the morning so I know he travels to each level. I even bury treats in the shavings so he has to sniff em out!

Cleaning is a piece of cake too. Doors are MUCH easier than lids or tubes.

Pics to come...

sully
11-28-2011, 03:55 PM
You cant say that and then NOT put pics up yet, you have to put pics with the post, come on now, keeping us waiting tis not fair!!!! :)

sully
12-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Boo hoo still waiting for pics....................... :(

namrufmo
12-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm trying lol...he doesn't wake up till late so getting action pics is tough! :(

sully
12-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I dont mind a standing still picture for now! :D

kyrilliondaemon
12-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Yeah! I'll even settle for a pic not showing the hamster lol

namrufmo
01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Just an update...I've had the cage in operation for several months now...AND I LOVE IT.

The hamsters are in love as well, they have all the room and levels they can ask for.

Cleaning is a breeze and everyone that comes over is in awe of it lol.

BaileyandBeth
01-29-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm so jealous of this cage! Just read every page to steal ideas!

hannahbubble
01-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Have you got any pictures of the hams in it? I'd love to see them!

namrufmo
03-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Just a bump for anyone else who might want to try a cage like this!

hammy_luver
03-25-2012, 12:28 PM
WOW!!!! Congrats :D That is really something, you did an awesome job. :D. How is the ventilation working out, is it sufficient ? How about odor levels?

namrufmo
03-25-2012, 12:48 PM
WOW!!!! Congrats :D That is really something, you did an awesome job. :D. How is the ventilation working out, is it sufficient ? How about odor levels?

Crixus has been living in it since Nov and there have been ZERO issues. I do a spot clean every other day and then clean out 1/2 the shavings every week. Zero odor. :)

samzyzg
03-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Any new pictures??

Cathii
03-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Great! Just read the whole thread from beginning to end :D
I think your cage is amazing, but I don't think my parents would want my hammies taking over the living room, lol! Maybe when I move out in years to come :)
Just to be sure, did you make the wooden ramps, shelves etc by yourself or buy?

namrufmo
03-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I made them! They are able to be taken apart if I need to clean inside them...I stole Pavardi's construction style

Charlottington-K
03-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Pictures pleassssssssssssse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Charley101
05-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Just caught up with this thread (from your other thread). Do you have any recent pics?

Lynternette
05-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Amazing! Its a lovely home for your hammies. :)

namrufmo
08-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Just an update: Baloney (who lies in this enclosure) is now well over 2 years old. I'd say she has loved living in it!

Sandti
08-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Pictures? :<

namrufmo
09-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Finally made a video so you can see it....Baloney was sleepy so she doesn't really make an appearance :(

Hamster enclosure from bookcase - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBQSzummok) Watch it in HD!

namrufmo
06-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Just a bump...cage is going on three years and still performs flawlessly!

Sanctuary
07-14-2013, 09:22 AM
That is an awesome cage :D

icklemunch
07-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Wow thats amazing.

Kiki_3173
07-14-2013, 09:36 AM
This is such an awesome idea! What is your take on something like this for multiple hamsters. For example, one hamster having 2 shelves and another hamster having 2 shelves. Do you think the smell of each hamster would bother the other??

namrufmo
10-08-2014, 06:28 PM
This is such an awesome idea! What is your take on something like this for multiple hamsters. For example, one hamster having 2 shelves and another hamster having 2 shelves. Do you think the smell of each hamster would bother the other??

When I built this cage I planned ahead and thought maybe I'd want to do this. I built a "cap" that covers the entry way between the 2nd and 3rd floors. I just take that ramp out as well.

BTW three years and the enclosure is still going strong!

DanniDorrito
10-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Have you ever had problems with hamster pee and the wood?

Very well done cage :) Nice job!

fluffybumolivia
10-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Wow that is amazing!! I wish I had the skill and patience to do something like that!!

sully
10-09-2014, 11:45 AM
The post is over two years old. :)

namrufmo
10-09-2014, 04:40 PM
No problems with pee and the wood!