PDA

View Full Version : Septic hamster

Pouchy
11-29-2007, 07:14 AM
last night discoverd that my dwarf hamster had a large swelling where is urine vent is. On giving it a squeeze a lot of pus came out of it (for a dwarf hamster, that is). This morning the swelling has gone down and it looks less inflamed. In no way does this problem affect him as he is lively as usual. I imagine that is what the vet would have done if I had taken him there.
Assume it might be a urinary infection but not sure as the hamster has not been urinating excessively and he does not have diabetes.
Perhaps he caught him self on a cage part but am unsure which one. Or he scratched himself too vigorously with his sharp claws which broke the skin allowing infection in.

Any ideas out there from the hamster experts

souffle
11-29-2007, 08:23 AM
mmmm difficult one with abscesses in this position Pouchy. It could be a scent gland abscess which can be a problem with dwarfs especially males. It is easy for them to get infected from a cut or scratch with their tummies so low on the ground. Is it definitely from the urine vent? Bladder abscess or infection usually makes them very poorly and you would normally see blood staining and straining to urinate. If the lump fills again he is likely to need flushing and antibiotics but it may heal now the abscess capsule is empty. If in doubt he needs to see a vet. I would keep him on something that will not stick to the discharging abscess to try and keep it clean. Hope he is better soon

Pouchy
11-29-2007, 11:32 AM
It's not the scent gland. It's too far down. Have just drained it again. Less than yesterday.

I_am_plankton
11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Any vet will tell you that with an abscess you need to get antibiotics into them with a probiotic powder as well, abscesses will keep recurring otherwise I know from experience

babyboos
11-29-2007, 05:14 PM
A course of Baytril would probably be best. Try to get a daytime appointment as soon as you can and it shouldn't cost more than £10 in most good vets.

Pouchy
12-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Hammy's little problem cleared up on its own after I gently squoze the pus out once every day for three days. His urinal opening has now gone down to its normal size and is looking a much more healthy colour. Such a relief the dwarf hamster didn't have to visit the vet and be forced to take some medicine. :lol: