PDA

View Full Version : Can Hybrids change colour

Emma&Bee
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
I got my little Russian girl from a well known pet shop, I have only had pure campbells before and she (sorry luna) is much more round in shape than them but she still has the mouse face. But my beautiful jet black ham is currently going white! it started off in small patches but now its rapidly spreading! My campbells never changed colour.

So my question is has anyone else had a hybrid go white?

Em

Emma&Bee
09-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Or is she indeed a winter white? I can get a photo of her if it would help. There were 4 in her cage which the shop claimed were from the same little 2 more jet black girls, a pure white girl and a white girl with grey banding

mangoandmimi
09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
No, hyrbids can change colour :) how much they change depends on how much winter white they are, if you get my drift. shes probably not a pure WW, as shes from a petshop but a pic would help determine what side shes on most :)

Emma&Bee
09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
i will upload one now. Its happened quite rapidly She had a white band under her chin when i bought her But the last week She has really started to change

Emma&Bee
09-27-2011, 11:52 AM
My girly :)

Emma&Bee
09-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Not the clearest of photos but she is currently out exploring her playpen (my bathroom floor) :)

Emma&Bee
09-27-2011, 12:05 PM
slightly clearer one of her face

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
09-27-2011, 12:13 PM
She doesnt have winter white colourings at all as you cant get jet black WWs but her shape is quite similar. The rounded body is the typical shape of a WW and so it looks like that is where her more obvious or 'dominant' WW genes are showing through. I have a WW hybrid who is also changing colour but her natural coat colour is the same as a Sapphire WWs. Luna looks stunning in that coat! She is a really georgus girl :) I think her name will be ever so confusing if she goes pure white ;)

Emma&Bee
09-27-2011, 12:19 PM
i watched your video on youtube Erin and figured She must be a hybrid from that. The nice lady in the pet shop was totally clueless and said she was simply a Russian Hamster when i asked! My campbells boys were no where near as round as my little lady. Maybe She needs a winter and summer name lol!

LocoRocoPanda
09-27-2011, 04:35 PM
:) My hybrid Rao is confused about whether it's summer or winter. Sometimes she comes out with a grey face and a light bottom and then the next day she's back to being dark.

She's hopeless. -.- My partner keeps telling her to give it time as it's only September but I told him a girl can never have too many coats!!! :)

MzWiz0915
09-27-2011, 08:30 PM
She's stunning either way :)

Ankali
09-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Your beautiful girl looks to be going silver. There seems to be a silver gene that hitch-hikes the black gene ;)

Silvering (http://www.AAAhamsters.org/Silvering.html)

kyrilliondaemon
10-28-2011, 11:50 AM
This thread has just explained a lot...
We keep thinking Dusty and Bump look more/less identical by the day.
Looks like Dusty just gets lighter than Bump does (the best way to tell them apart is that Dusty is always slightly lighter - more so than usual at the moment, whereas Bump is either all darker or just has light patches behind her ears).
Fortunately even when they are looking identical there're behavioural differences between them so we can always tell them apart if needed :)

souffle
10-28-2011, 11:58 AM
If they have any WW genes at all no matter how far back they can change colour for sure. Your hammy could be a silvering campbell though and may stay like this permanently or it could be a mix of silvering and wintering. Very pretty never the less!

Emma&Bee
11-03-2011, 11:03 AM
The colour change seems to have stopped for now!
Here's an up to date picture of her

emilyweb
11-04-2011, 01:54 AM
awwhh shes very sweet :D Yupo Tessa shes changing colour and shes a Hybrid :D

MsCrumbyy
12-08-2011, 06:42 PM
I didn't know hybrids could change until I had what I thought was a Campbells from an accidental litter, but she went from this:
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvec0k1ZVF1r5gu8yo2_500.jpg

To this over the last few weeks:
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvec9gdgOr1r5gu8yo1_500.jpg

Hamtastic
12-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Very cute! There's actually a fair amount of Winter White in the head and body shape and eye size, looking at the second photo :) Coat transformations are amazing!!!