PDA

View Full Version : Silly question but.....

DonnaB
11-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Newspaper.... do you line the bottom of a hamster cage with newspaper before the bedding goes in??? I've spent so long with rabbits that I've totally forgotten... is the print dangerous for them? Sorry for such a silly basic question!

Off to fetch my rescue Syrian in 1 hr!11 :D

Jane
11-17-2007, 07:25 AM
No, it's not needed.

I personally don't think that there is anything wrong with newspaper because the ink is soy based...people use it for maaaaaaaany other rodents but a lot of people are so against it for hamsters, no idea why...it's not needed though so not point in risking it ;)

I_am_plankton
11-17-2007, 08:36 AM
It's not harmful but makes the hamster and their paws dirty and makes the plastic on the cage dirty also and is very hard to get off

suga
11-18-2007, 10:10 AM
I don't use newspaper, I don't know if its safe but I just never liked the look of the cage lined in that way. :-)

Pouchy
11-28-2007, 05:22 AM
Think it might have something to do with concentrations of ink in the mouth as hamsters are likely to stuff newspaper into thier pouches. The ink comes off and then gets into their systems and may make them ill. can't say for sure but that might be the reason why newspaper isn't recommended for pouched mammals.