PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good alternative to wood shavings......??

DonnaB
11-14-2007, 06:34 AM
I'm due to be homing a rescue Syrian hamster on Saturday and as its been a while since I last had one I thought I'd ask for some advice.

I've bought her a Gabber Rex cage, but I'm curious as what to put down on the floor. Years ago we used a layer of newspaper with wood shavings on top but I know thats not considered very safe these days.

I'm looking at paper based cat litter, but a bit confused. Does this need to cover the whole of the floor, if so how thick, or just the litter area, as I have also bought a little corner litter pan, though I dont know how successfull it'll be.

Any advice gratefully received,.... I do feel a bit stupid asking such basic advice but, I want the little one to be in the best environment, after the rough start shes had. Thanks in advance. :)

I_am_plankton
11-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Hello

Congratulations on rescuing a hamster!! That is one of the best things anyone can do :)

Personally I am not fond of woodshavings as they aren't too absorbent. I use a product called Megazorb http://www.megazorb.co.uk/about_megazorb.htm which most equestrians sell for about £6.50 a bag which is 80 litres (many can order it in if your local one doesn't stock it). It is similar to Carefresh http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... dept_id=63 (http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=3231&dept_id=63) which can be bought in places such as Pets at Home for around £4 a bag for 10 litres. The only downside to Megazorb is that it can sometimes smell a bit farmy but I find it goes after an hour or so of being in the cage, and microwaving it for 30 seconds a jug gets rid of the smell completely.

Another product is Aubiose which again is ordered from an equestrian http://www.aubiose.co.uk/ I personally do not like it as it is not as absorbent as Megazorb and literally goes everywhere. It is also more expensive.

Paper based or wood based cat litter would be OK - you would use any of these products on the whole floor of the cage about 2 cms deep and then a paper based/j-cloth type shredder paper bedding for nesting material in a little house or such (big bags are sold in Pets at Home for about £4).

I hope this helps?

DonnaB
11-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the reply..... I have looked into megasorb before as I also foster rescue rabbits, but it worked our too costly with a lot of rabbits. I hadnt thought about it for the hammie for I guess for one hamster its much more cost effective. Will have another look.

Theres a litle house included in the cage set up, I had planned on using kitchen towel, or white tissue... I think thats what I used to use before, its sooo long along ago, at least 12 years since my last Syrian... I'm quite excited now! :D

Spuds Mum
11-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi DonnaB. We have 6 Gabber Rexes and none of our hamsters use them as beds! They tend to make their nests under the shelf. But if you put the bedding into the house, the hamster will move it wherever it wants to make its house.
We have used paper based cat litter for the cages, and it works fine. But I am always looking for better cage litter. So will be watching your post carefully for any ideas too! :D

DonnaB
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks Spud's Mum, I did wonder if the house that comes with the cage would get used! It doesnt look like its positioned in the best of places, but I guess if I put extra bedding in, she can sleep where she likes. :)

Speaking of bedding.... could you just chop up a J-cloth instead of the ready made stuff? .... I have loads of them. Also do hammies use hay at all, to eat or sleep in?... I have some lovely soft fine meadow hay at the mo for the foster buns.....

I'm sorry for all the questions, but your advice is greatly received.

Spuds Mum
11-14-2007, 10:04 AM
I dont know about the hay, I never use it although some may and so I'm sure you will get advice on this, about the j cloth bedding, yes (clean) cloths could be cut up, but we find the things ours like most is just tissue/kitchen paper or loo roll torn into strips.
I bet you can't wait until Saturday. We are picking up a new little cream girl (from Holly on this forum) on Sunday, and so I am busy preparing for her arrival too!
You'll have to let us know all about her when she arrives! :x

Jane
11-14-2007, 10:09 AM
I give my hammies a bit of really soft hay (have it anyway cos I have guinea piggies) and they sometimes ignore it, sometimes use it to help build their nest. A lot of people say they should have it because it might poke them in the eye but I doubt that would happen.

suga
11-14-2007, 10:14 AM
I actually use woodshavings and plain white toilet roll in my cages - works a treat for my two.
Congratulations on your rescue - how exciting :-)

DonnaB
11-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone... I am really excited, especially as I dont even know what she looks like! I only know shes about 10-12 weeks old and was dumped in a park with her sister. Shes coming from Norwich with some other homeless small furries... it'll be like opening a suprise present!! Will definately update when shes home! :D

Holly
11-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I really like Aubiose - it's much softer than it looks and is easy for the hams to move around the cage and pile up wherever they want to. Absorbency isn't really an issue with our Syrians as they are all "potty trained" (incidentally most Syrians find this fairly easy, in my experience, so your litter pan idea is a good one) and I don't have a problem with our winter whites who pee everywhere (maybe in smaller amounts?).

DonnaB
11-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks Holly, good to hear litter training may be a success... I'm in Leicester too btw! :)

Jane
11-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Just want to add that my syrian is also litter trained ;) Didn't purposely do it - he has a dish of sand and he pees in there :lol:

souffle
11-14-2007, 02:20 PM
We use wood shavings and have done for 35years. We have tried carefresh and other things but always go back. The Uk shavings are safe to use. For longhairs we like carefresh and recently have tried aubiose which is good. We don't like the smell of megazorb but many people find it good though it does come in a large bale which you need to store. Why not see what your little one is used to and go with that. Congrats on the rescue and looking forward to meeting her :lol:

Basia
11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Congratulations on your rescue hammy. Hope we can see some pictures when she has settled in.
I use aubiouse and white toilet paper. I have used carefresh and paper cat litter in the past. Aubiouse works out cheaper for 11 cages and tangles less in the long hair I find.