PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with skin tumours?

himegoto
11-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi All

I have a winter white, Diamond, whos got a lump growing right under her right arm - and it's still increasing in size slowly. The lump kind of sagged, and it felt that it wasn't connected to the body.

I had a vet checked her. What the vet did was just to lance it and squeezed out some plasma-like liquid, and she suggested not operating (as they are weak on anaesthetics) on it as long as she's eating and doing well. She said that some hamsters were not affected by skin tumours at all and will pass away from old age naturally.

Just wondering how owners will deal with this situation.

Regards
Eri

I_am_plankton
11-13-2007, 11:03 AM
I am sorry for your hamster having this. Tumours are all different, I have had experiences where they have grown rapidly and multiplied very quickly to the extent of the animal needing to be put to sleep since they were on their facial area and couldn't eat or drink, and had others that have had them and just died in their sleep. I always personally go by the hamster, if quality of life i.e. movement/eating and drinking is affected it is kinder to have them put to sleep, but in other cases it doesn't seem to affect them too much. I had 2 dwarfs die recently of old age in their sleep, although they had tumours and a multitude of skin problems alongside that.

Unfortunately tumours in hamsters are very common :(

himegoto
11-14-2007, 09:34 AM
I see.

My Diamond is still very energetic when she's awake. But gets tired fast as she also has diabetes. But overall, shes doing fine except for her failing eyesight.

yup, thanks loads for sharing! :)

souffle
11-14-2007, 09:38 AM
As long as she is happy in herself I think it is best just to treat her normally. The lump may be a fluid filled cyst whuch hopefully will not spread. Do you have her on a diabetic diet? I hope the lump does not spread and she shares your life for a bit longer.

himegoto
11-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Hmm

I pick out the corn from the seed mix, no carrots, bread.. up until recently I stopped giving her a tiny bit of apple every 4 days or so because I noticed another cataract. =(

She runs really fast, loves to climb her cage bars (as usual) but falls more often..due to the hinderance/ lack of strength or poorer sight I guess. Hasn't lost that energetic spirit by a bit. =)

Anw, thanks, souffle.