PDA

View Full Version : Sleep well my little Harley

Kristin
09-16-2011, 07:12 AM
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m542/xxFlair/Harley/Harleymunching-Copy.jpg

I took hold of his little paw and walked with him down a little path telling him how much I love him and how I enjoyed spending the last few months with him. We have known each other since January this year and even though it seems short, it was full of laughter and we both had a lot of fun during snuggle and playtime sessions.
Letting go of his paw I watched as he ran across the bridge to join all those playing happily. With one last wave from his paw I watched as he disappeared knowing full well that he is safe, out of pain and will always be happy.
Harley we will always love and miss you
You were our little handsome man with a fantastic personality.
We will also miss your gigantic ears that always perked when myself or my husband were near.
xxx

Its a very say day. My Harley was put to sleep at the vets and we have just got back. We're all distraught about it because he was such a little gem. He was ever so funny and my husband was always entertained when he was running around the room. He would always go 'Watch him babe, watch him' and with that Harley would go racing across the living room. It was really funny and I was ever so surprised with how fast he could run.

Sadly he had rectal relapse and had been chewing it. The vet did say she could try and replace it but since he had been chewing it she knew that there could be hidden dangers and there was a high possibility of it happening again. I have no idea why he got this and I feel guilty as hell because he is so young.

We have buried him in the back garden inside a box well lined with soft bedding and a little note. I'm planning to buy a nice flower to sit on top his little grave.

My little Harley. My handsome little man who I always will remember and always will love

R.I.P and play well at the bridge my little man

Humphrey Furball
09-16-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm so sorry about Harley, he was a beautiful hamster. Please don't feel guilty, he had a home filled with love, and you did your very best for him when it counted, facing such a hard decision but helping him in the only way you could, to cross the bridge and run free. It is never easy when they have to leave us, but it seems especially sad when the young ones are called to the bridge. Farewell Harley, I hope you find all our HC friends at the bridge to look after you x

Kristin
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Thank you hun. I just really miss him :'(
I just can't stop being tearful because I know i wont be able to hug him again :(
His ZZ2 is so empty now and I miss seeing his head poke out of his bedding each time I walk into the room.

I got Munchkin out for cuddles after we buried him and she seemed to know that I was sad. She gave me a little kiss before going off to explore and that made me cry more.

xx

mangoandmimi
09-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Oh no, not little harley :(
Sleep tight little guy, RIPxx

Kristin
09-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Thank you hun
I can't even look at his cage at the minute. I need to clean it though as its going to start to smell. It just reminds me too much of him and his bedding is still in tact from where he was sleeping this morning :(

xx

samincittagazze
09-16-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm so sorry to here this Kirsten. My sister had a hamster with the same condition a few years ago, and I remember how distressing it was. RIP Harley.

fluffymunchkins
09-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Reading your previous thread I was suspecting rectal lapse, but I had my fingers so tightly crossed that he was gonna be ok!

I'm so so sorry to hear you lost little Harley :( I know he was a very happy boy with you and he had a wonderful life.

Sleep tight Darling and say hello to the others up there xxx

Womblehands
09-16-2011, 03:38 PM
I read this in work and had to hold onto a tear, we shall miss you Harley.. such a sweet little boy he was

Pompompoms
09-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Oh I'm so sorry :( What a gorgeous chap Harley was. I know you didn't get so long with him, but it sounds to me that he had the best life he could possibly have, and it was a happy one full of love.

Play well at the bridge little man, your new HC friends will welcome you xx

Teddybearhamster420
09-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh Im so sorry. This is making me teary. :( RIP litle guy. You are already missed/ xx

Kristin
09-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Thank you everyone. It was so hard to make that decision yesterday but I knew I had to do it. I didn't want him to suffer. I told him how much I loved him yesterday as we were driving to the vets and gave him lots of cuddles. I just wished I could have given him more. I did promise him so much after his little ordeal but he wont be around to see it. Im going to do it for Munchkin still.

I do remember the vet being startled with how bright he looked while out on the examination table. His eyes were bright and he was busy sniffing what was around him. But since he had been chewing at it there was no way he would have been safe.
It broke my heart to have to say goodbye :(

My husband brought him for me in January as I had wanted a hamster for a while before then. He was the only one in his cage and it was love at first sight. Harley helped me every time my husband, well Fiance back then, went away back to camp. He made me smile and laugh when I ever I cried and we always enjoyed our little snuggle sessions during the evening.

He's a rest now and I will always remember him for that lovable little man who always perked up whenever he saw us coming.

Now I'm in tears again :'(

LocoRocoPanda
09-17-2011, 02:23 AM
*hugs* I'm so sorry to hear about Harley. He was very special and I know you didn't have him for as long as you wished but you loved him all the same.

Hope you and Munchkin will be okay. I'll tell Rin to take care of him at the bridge. xx

Kristin
09-17-2011, 03:19 AM
Thank you LRP :)
He was and always will be my special little guy.

Sam got Munchkin out after we had buried Harley and she gave me a little kiss. She is such a sweet little girl but has a typical teenage attitude. She devours everything and I mean everything. Toys are destroyed in one night and toilet tubes don't stand a chance. We're moving her into the ZZ2 today as she needs a bigger home and I don't want that cage to be put to no use. Its going to be hard because everything is how Harley left it yesterday before the vets but I know it has to be done. I love Munchkin and want the best for her too.

I'm planning to get a stone slab to place over Harley's little grave with a pretty potted flower to sit on top. Sam and I are going to look into it very soon
xx

AliKati
09-17-2011, 06:04 PM
I love your story of Harley, and I know he will live on bright in your memories. He was well-loved and had a good life with you. Play well over the bridge, little one.

racinghamster
09-18-2011, 01:31 AM
I`ve just seen this kristin having not been on the forum much and it saddened me greatly. :( I know how much you loved wee Harley and it`s tragic that you lost him so young. They capture out hearts so much. It`s never easy to let them go. A rectal prolapse can happen in mice too and although they can be pushed back in, sometimes complications arise and you never truly know whether it`s the best thing to do for them or not.

Rest in peace little Harley. You will be missed on here. x

Kristin
09-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Thank you for all your kind words everyone. Its still hard and I do keep thinking about him. It's just really hard to get used to the fact that he is up in Rainbow Bridge and still not in his cage. I did feel my heart leap when I went over to his cage yesterday. I really did think he was still in there :(

I'm getting a lot better though. Every evening, when I water the flowers, I go over and say hello while water the flower on his spot. I know it sounds silly but it does make me feel better :)

RachK
09-18-2011, 11:29 PM
I am so sorry to hear of little Harley's passing. So sad. RIP sweetie.

Kristin
09-19-2011, 03:01 AM
Thank you Rach
*hugs*
xxx

LawaRawr
09-19-2011, 08:45 AM
awwh im sorry to hear about harley *hugs* such a beautiful boy play well at the bridge little man

Hamtastic
09-28-2011, 01:15 PM
A bit late to arrive to this thread :( Rest in peace, Harley. I'm glad you have the loving support of Sam and Munchkin; I'm certain Harley wouldn't have wanted it any other way!