PDA

View Full Version : Help! Anti Social Russian

Emma&Bee
09-14-2011, 08:21 AM
My Russian dwarf has me scratching my head a bit! I am totally un sure of her sleep/ waking pattern!

She is unbelievably tame and enjoys being handled on the rare occasions I catch her awake but 99% of the time I sit up until midnight and dont even see her from when I get in around 6pm!

I dont want to wake her up to handle her but I dont want her to go days on end without being handled either. Never had this problem with any previous Russians, she is the tamest one I have owned and I dont want to loose that.

Is there anything I can do to try and get her up and about at a time where I am awake too?

Emma

AngelAmes
09-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Hamsters are often referred to as being nocturnal but this is actually incorrect. Hamsters are actually crepuscular which means they are primarily awake at dusk and dawn.
Have you looked to see if she is awake between about 7 and 9? This is when my syrian got up then went back to bed after that.
Also you could try feeding her at about 8ish and talk to her so she knows when she gets fed so she may come out to get food/treats
I hope this helps :)

Eleanor
09-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Sleeping patterns will vary from hamster to hamster, I wouldn't worry about it. One of my hamsters sleeps a lot (she's asleep before I even wake up which is around 6ish and doesn't wake up till 9pm at the earliest) but another is awake till lunchtime and then again for an hour or two in the afternoon before going back to bed until early evening. Do you have the light on a lot in the evening? Maybe it's messing up her body clock? As AngelAmes as said, you could give her food at 8ish, my hammies usualy wake up when they hear me putting fresh food in the cage.