PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! My hamster is DYING!

Quincygirl
04-27-2005, 04:25 PM
My beloved and favorite hamster, Streaker, is suddenly really sick. I think she is dying. She's a Winter White Russian Dwarf.

She had bad diarreaha, so I cleaned her cage and gave her medicine. Last night, she had a hard time opening her eyes. She also had a hard time walking around. After a couple of minutes she was able to walk around.

But now she can't open her eyes! She can barely move. She can barely drink the water I give her. She is shaking and breathing hard. What's wrong with her? What can I do?

Please help! I love my hamster. I got her a year ago for my b-day. I don't want her to die! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Coco1
04-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Quincygirl,

I'm so sorry to hear about Streaker. The only thing I can suggest at this point is to try and get her to a vet as soon as you can. They will be able to suggest the best thing for the situation. It must be very hard to see your hamster sick, but the Vet is the best option at this point.

Please let us know what happens. Maybe someone else can suggest something?

Emma
04-28-2005, 05:47 AM
Quincygirl,

It sounds like Streaker is very ill. What medicine did you give her? I agree with Coco1 that taking her to a vet asap is very important.

Keep her warm and if she is unable to eat or drink, use a small syringe to hand feed her something like babyfood, a little at a time.

Getting her to the vets is really the best thing for her, they will be able to assess her, and help her perhaps with antibiotics and fluids.

Good luck x

SnuggleHam
04-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Quincygirl, I’m sorry to hear about your little one, I would do what the other have suggested, it’s really is the only thing you can do at this point.

Don’t feel bad about yourself it the outcome isn’t good in the end. Animals have that ability to hide any illness or injury they have to the best of the ability. Its a natural instinct that is used in the wild so they don’t appear vulnerable to predators, With small rodents such as hamsters the illness usually doesn’t show through until its really escalated to a critical point. All we can do in situations like this is get it to a vet ASAP and try and put out positive thoughts for the little thing to pull through.

If you can, don’t wait for a vet, most places are closed during the weekends and you probably don’t have time to wait anyway. I wish you both luck!

please let us know what happens.

Quincygirl
04-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Unfortunally, l didn't realize how she was until last night. I had to teach for 8 hours (yeah adverbs!), so when I came home...it was too late. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I stayed up all night feeding her water and Dry Tail medicine through a dropper. She just looked so helpless. I know they only live a year or two, but watching her suffer was the worst part.

I have this beautiful old box that I am going to use as a coffin. I'm burying her at my fiance's house tonight. I was so upset that I couldn't save her in time. She was the bestest hamster I ever had.

I'm not sure how to put an image on here so if want to see how beautiful she really was you can go here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17659228/

and here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17198012/

I got her for my b-day last year. She was so funny to watch. No one can run faster than Streaker! She was so cute...like a little ball of cotton.

Thanks for your advice. I only wish the vet was open 24/7.

~Crying Quincy :cry: [/img]

Quincygirl
04-28-2005, 02:43 PM
oh and I almost forgot. Here is the first picture I drew of her and her friend Whoopdeedoo.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13698155/

Streaker was my muse. She was just so cute!!!

SnuggleHam
04-28-2005, 03:25 PM
I’m sorry to hear your little one passed away. They seem to go down hill so fast and they always get ill at the most inconvenient times. I’m sure she lived a good life with you, at lest she looks happy and cozy in the pictures. What kind of hamster was she? She kind of looks like a winter white.

And good job on the cute little drawing of her:) Do you think you will be getting another?

Quincygirl
04-30-2005, 06:38 PM
She was a winter white. (I think) She was all white, except for the grayish blue streak on her back. Hence the name: Streaker! :lol:

I buried her today next to the my brother's hamster, Jimmy. RIP

I got a new one, though. He is the same breed but is all white. He is name is sneakers. He's not as cute or as fat, but at least he doesn't bite!!

babyboos
05-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Rest in Peace Streaker :cry: Very true they do sadly go down hill very quickly and always become apparent outside normal vet practice opening hours...

Welcome Sneaker :D

Coco1
05-11-2005, 01:32 AM
So sorry to hear of the outcome. But you loved that hamster and gave it the best life you could and thats what counts :-) Pretty little thing! Great drawing too :-)