PDA

View Full Version : Treacle is very poorly

Holly
11-01-2007, 03:14 PM
We have just returned from the emergency vets with Treacle - the vet thinks he's either had a stroke or has a brain tumour :(

When he hadn't woken up by 9pm tonight I had a feeling something was wrong. I found him curled up in his nest and he felt cold to touch. He woke up when I scooped him out and immediately it was obvious that he couldn't walk properly - he was just sort of staggering about and shaking.

We got him to the vets straight away, I couldn't bear to think of him in pain and suffering. On the way he did seem to perk up a little and he sort of staggered, shaking around the vets table.

The vet says he's quite bright-eyed, which he is, and he doesn't think he's in pain. He's certain it's something neurological and doesn't think it's from trauma or any sort of infection. He's given him a steroid injection and we have nursing instructions - we are to keep him warm in his travel bin on a comfy bed and have his food right beside him. I've put bedding from his cage in it so it smells the same but he is used to it anyway from going to shows etc. I've also put him on a warm hot-water bottle. The vet's given us a syringe so we can feed him water if necessary.

He is trying to eat so there is hope. Obviously he's very sick but hamsters can recover from strokes. Please keep everything crossed for him, we love him dearly, he's one of two first hamsters and he's such a lovely little character.

Basia
11-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Oh Holly I'm so sorry to hear Treacle is so poorly. I am sending all my positive thoughts to him. I had a gerbil which recovered from a stroke but he couldn't climb stairs afterwards. Everything crossed that Treacle comes through this.

babyboos
11-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Oh Holly
thinking of you all and sending healing thoughts to Treacle
be strong little one

souffle
11-01-2007, 03:39 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Treacle is so poorly Holly and Will. We are rooting for him and know how it feels to have a little one sick. Many hammies do make full recoveries from strokes so all best wishes to little Treacle. Hang on in there guys and lots of love from the Custards
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Holly
11-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Thank you guys, he still isn't right but he seems a little better this morning. Last night I had him beside my bed so I could keep an eye on him and he slept most of the night which is so not him. He's still walking in a lop-sided manner but isn't doing the horrible shaking thing and he's tried to eat. It's so upsetting because when he hears our voices he tries to get to us.

I don't know if the improvement is him or the steroid injection. I'm just hoping it's a stroke and not a brain tumour. Thanks for your good wishes, we are keeping everything crossed for him, he's such a lovely little guy.

suga
11-02-2007, 02:34 AM
Thinking of you and hoping a good recovery is made.

pophammy
11-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Oh no poor Treacle. He is a lovely ham and I really hope he pulls through. Glad that he is doing better and hopefully he'll continue to improve. All oour best wishes to you from all our hams and get well soon Treacle!

Holly
11-02-2007, 03:43 AM
Thanks. He's eaten some egg this morning and had a drink so he's certainly trying to get better, bless him.

Jane
11-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Oh no :( Poor Treacle.

I hope he continues to improve and is feeling well again soon :cry:

Holly
11-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Thanks, Jane.

Well Souffle, Pophammy and Big D have just visited and they've seen him -and he's perked up even more! He's waliking slightly lop-sided, but he is walking (and even scampering a bit!) and he's eating/drinking so I feel a little more hopeful now.

I'm thinking he may need a change of cage now - he may not manage tubes and levels anymore. For now I'll keep him in his travel bin as everything's close for him but if he continues to improve I'll have to have a think about somewhere good for him to live.

Basia
11-02-2007, 08:00 AM
That's better news. He won't hurt in his travel box for a few days while he is recovering. Still keeping everything crossed for him.

Spuds Mum
11-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Poor Treacle, best wishes to him for a continuing recovery. It must have given you and Will such a scare Holly, so bless you both and hope you are ok too.
I'm sure that you are pampering Treacle very well and that, even though he is not on top form, he is enjoying it.

Healing thoughts to you little man xxx

Holly
11-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, I can't qute believe it but tonight he was asking to come out! So he's been out for a little cuddle and even a short run in his ball :shock: 8)

We feel quite optimisic now. I've moved him into a tank cage tonight so he can have his wheel back for a bit and get settled for a few days then we'll decide on his long term home depending on how he's doing.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes - he has given us a fright but we are just delighted he seems to be on the mend :)

babyboos
11-02-2007, 03:26 PM
sounds very promising :D
keep him quiet and don't let him over-exert himself :)

Jane
11-03-2007, 03:50 AM
So glad he seems to be getting better :) He just wanted the extra attention ;)

Holly
11-03-2007, 05:00 AM
We had a bit of a nightmare with Treaks last night :?

He didn't seem to like it in the tank cage - he filled his pouches to the brim with food and an hour later he hadn't emptied them ... and, because he'd been for a run on the wheel, he'd crazed the side of his face wgere it had rubbed on the wheel.

I decided there was no option but to put him in his own cage. Within a few seconds of being in there he emptied his puches into the nest and settled down for a sleep. At least he seems better but now we have a wound on his face to watch as well.

Basia
11-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Poor Treacle. :(
I've found some of my hamsters don't mind being moved from cage to cage (Basil, Sid, Berry) and some really object and have to be put back into their own cage (Chunky, Fuzzy). Treacle obviously likes his own home. It sounds like he is feeling better though.

souffle
11-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Maybe the neurological problem made him unable to cope with a new environment Holly. Bit like old people can't cope with home changes or moves sometimes. You did right to put him back 'home' to lessen the stress when he is so delicate. Hope he continues to progress. He seems to be doing very well :lol:

Bailey-Benji
11-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Aww, poor guy.

I wish you the best of luck :)

Holly
11-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Thank you, he's doing really well and can run about etc. He's still slightly lop-sided and I noticed last night that one of his front paws looks slightly odd, like someone who's had a stroke - but it doesn't seem to be affecting him which is fantastic.

Hana
11-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Aww Poor Treacle.
Glad to hear things are getting better.

Spuds Mum
11-07-2007, 12:25 PM
so glad to hear he is a little better Holly! :x :x
Let's hope for a continued improvement! x x

babyboos
11-08-2007, 06:14 PM
sounds good
keep up the good work
best wishes :)

Holly
11-09-2007, 01:30 AM
Thanks all of you - he really is a little star and isn't letting a problem like a weak front paw get in his way.

he does look rather thin, though - I've been feeding him one or two extra bits like egg, porridge or pasta every couple of nights - is this ok?

babyboos
11-09-2007, 02:01 AM
a little will be fine each alternate night as you are doing - you don't overload him with too much protein or wholemeal pasta every night but do give a small bit of each to help him build back up his reserves. it wil be a slow process but I am sure he will get there, he has done so well so far.

Holly
11-14-2007, 02:58 AM
Unfortunately Treacle suffered some sort of collapse last night :(

When I got in (quite late) from work he wasn't up so I went to wake him - he woke up straightaway and seemed ok so I put him in his ball for a little run. He shot off and seemed fine so I went to feed everyone else.

About 10 minutes later I found him just lying in the ball. His eyes were glassy and his legs were just splayed out to the sides - he seemed totally unresponsive. Will and I held him to warm him up - he felt really cold - and I told William I thought he was going to die to try to prepare him a bit. A couple of times I actually thought he was dead but then we realised he was still breathing.

We made him a bed in his travel bin and put a hot water bottle under it - within about 15 minutes he seemed to be coming round so we put food in with him.

Then during the night I heard him eating and drinking from his bottle......and this morning, he seems completely recovered!

He's made a nest with a food store and has been out for a cuddle. I have warned Will that he obviously has something wrong with him and my not have too much longer to live but for now he seems to have recovered from this episode.

So if everyione could keep everything crossed for little Treacle we'd really appreciate it. He is obviously a little fighter and we love him very much.

I_am_plankton
11-14-2007, 03:01 AM
Awww I am very sorry Julie, poor Treacle :( I hope that he makes yet another recovery from last nights episode *everything crossed*

Holly
11-14-2007, 03:07 AM
Thank you Leanne. It is so awful when they are ill and you don't know what to do to help them. Will and I were both crying and Will was telling him how much he loves him which really upset me - then he seemed to rally and we were both so happy when we saw him this morning. I know I have to be realistic but as long as he's eating/drinking, doesn't seem in pain and recovers enough to walk/run then we'll do everything we can for him.

Spuds Mum
11-14-2007, 08:11 AM
oh how traumatic for you both, when he seemed to be doing so well.
Hope Treacle is ok now, and remains so. special healing thoughts are heading your way! x

jelly
11-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh poor little Treacle. I hope he gets well *crosses fingers*

souffle
11-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Poor little fellow. What a terrible upset for you both. It does seem like some sort of neurological problem holly. He may be having sort of mini strokes which he can recover from. He is a real wee trouper and a fighter. I think you are doing the right thing and keeping normality for him and as long as he seems pain free and is eating and drinking treasure this time with him. It is so very hard as we well know having a little sick friend but I think if you follow your instincts it will br right for him. Hope he feels well soon :?

Jane
11-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Aww no, poor Treacle. He's a little fighter bless him. Hope he continues to be pain free for a long time. Give him kisses from us :)

Holly
11-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys, I've just checked him and he's sleeping but moved when I opened the door.

I think it's probably mini-strokes as well - though last night I wondered if it was his heart as he "collapsed" whilst running in his ball and recovered with rest and warmth. What should I do about the ball - tonight we won't use it we'll just give him cuddles - and what about the wheel?

souffle
11-14-2007, 02:00 PM
I personally would 'retire' him from the ball. Could he have a bed scramble around instead? It would be nice and soft and if you lie on with him you can watch he does not overdo it? That is what all ours do. I guess it could be his heart but still think it is neural as he was so lopsided after the first attack. We are thinking of him and send our best wishes. I don't hink he will go on the wheel unless he feels like it so maybe leave that in and see how he goes. I am a great beleiver in familiarity breeds content so he may get more stressed without it.

Basia
11-14-2007, 03:54 PM
So sorry to hear Treacle has had another turn Holly. You are doing a good job of caring for him, follow your instincts I would say. Thinking of you all.