PDA

View Full Version : I Feel So Mean

LocoRocoPanda
09-05-2011, 11:33 AM
I've ran into my first problem with Rao. She's just not up. XD

Honestly I got to bed at 2 and I still won't have seen her. She used to be up in the day but that's stopped now. So now if I want her up I need to wake her up myself.

Is that mean? I mean she needs playtime and taming is still going on but she walked onto my hand yesterday. I don't want to have to wake her up all the time but there's literally no other way I see her. =/ Anyone else had this problem?

Humphrey Furball
09-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I've heard Souffle say that young hammies sleep a lot, like hooman babies i suppose; I think if she is getting plenty time during the day to rest, it won't do her any harm to be gently woken up for play/taming; maybe little and often with regular naps? If she seems friendly when she is awake, rather than grumpy, I wouldn't worry :D

ClareNdarhams
09-05-2011, 11:44 AM
I have to wake up Said lots, he doesn't mind though, he just gets on with being cute and happy and stuff :D My old hamster Basil used to come out and say hello if you just breathed near his cage :mad:

Gillzy
09-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with waking them up early, if it's done gently and they honestly don't seem to mind. I usually wake Sen up once at about midday (coz I'm paranoid she'll die in her sleep) but I usually just need to see bedding move, so I know she's alive. I then usually get her thinking about being awake about 7pm. So she'll get up have a wonder around, and sometimes go back to bed for an hour.

It's not like humans that have to stay up when up. If they feel tired, they can go back to their bed whenever they want. Just rub the substrate at the other side of the cage until they gradually come to. But if you hear any clicking/screeching back off.

LocoRocoPanda
09-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Oh yea I'm usually just ruffling her substrate or sometimes I'll be getting something from my room or getting dressed and she'll pop her head out. She's never bothered. I just think she likes to worry me. And I do worry. She's tiny. She weighs nothing. I'm always checking her food and water because she's a hybrid and I worry about diabetes. -.-

Roxie
09-05-2011, 12:21 PM
I think waking them gently is fine. Obviously don't go straight for her nest poking your finger in :).

I do have to gently coax Cookie out for her playtime as she is a very lazy ham. If I didn't do this, I'd never see her. She never seems to mind. All she does is take a couple of seconds to come to, then she comes running out to see me so it definitely doesn't effect her in a negative way.

I do occassionally have to wake Shiloh too and again, there's no issue, she's totally fine.

Hamtastic
09-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Lucy was a more extreme case, but she didn't come out much for like 2 months. But now she's awake at random times of the day and night, and I can hang out with her often. I'd just give yours some time to adjust.

MzWiz0915
09-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I don't think it's mean! You're being a good mum trying to tame her and get her accustomed to a normal routine :)

I wake my Sandy up around 9 or 10 most nights. Sometimes she gets up on her own, but generally I have to wake her by gently pulling the pile of bedding away from the entrance to her house. Once she pokes her nose out I talk to her until she emerges. After this, if she's still pretty drowsy and goes back to bed I let her sleep, but usually she wakes up fine.

I have to wake her up in order to give her play time to burn her energy and bond with us. Otherwise she's a real obnoxious little lady by 2 am. I used to wake my Robo's but I let the sleep now. They are starting to mellow a bit and are content and entertained in their cages at night if they don't get a lot of play time. If they want to play they know how to get my attention :)

Noodle
09-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I gently wake my lazy hams up from time to time, just so that they can have a play in their pen, and so I can check they're ok as they do have diabetes and I get very paranoid if I've not seen them for a while. Once woken they seem pretty happy and glad to be out, so I don't think it's mean :)

StarlightSerenity
09-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with waking them up early, if it's done gently and they honestly don't seem to mind. I usually wake Sen up once at about midday (coz I'm paranoid she'll die in her sleep) but I usually just need to see bedding move, so I know she's alive. I then usually get her thinking about being awake about 7pm. So she'll get up have a wonder around, and sometimes go back to bed for an hour.

It's not like humans that have to stay up when up. If they feel tired, they can go back to their bed whenever they want. Just rub the substrate at the other side of the cage until they gradually come to. But if you hear any clicking/screeching back off.

I'm the same - I wake Luna up during the day a couple of times :oops: Well, I make enough noise so that she at least stirs a bit so I know she's OK :oops:

LocoRocoPanda
09-05-2011, 01:58 PM
I do that with Izu. I don't with Tobi because she's usually up. XD

fluffymunchkins
09-05-2011, 02:06 PM
In time hopefully she'll get up earlier and someimes during the day :)
I hardly saw Squishy and Squirt when I first got them, but now they are always up at 9 for playtime x

samincittagazze
09-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I wake mine up from time to time - if they really don't want out they just ignore me! Most of time though they will emerge with the oh-so-cute sleepy eyes to see what's going on. :)

emmzy
09-23-2011, 12:23 PM
I thought I was being mean by waking Ralph up! He used to get up at 9.15 on the dot. Now he gets up after 10 and as I have quite a demanding job (I work with children!) I like to go to bed earlier than that, so I usually wake him. He's not bothered once hes had a sniff round and something to eat and drink. Sometimes he's awake at 6.30am when I'm getting ready for work but he usually goes to sleep after Ive said hello :-)

MzWiz0915
09-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I've tried gently waking Little Man, the newest addition to the family, but he's a real grouch! He'll hiss and growl if he's woken on accident when I'm home, let alone me gently rusling the bedding on the other side of the cage!

He's quite sweet when he wakes up, but it has to be on his terms! (Much like my OH...lol) I'm wondering if it's because he's a boy, or because he's a winter white, or because he's just a grouch when he's tired...

Explorer
09-23-2011, 02:05 PM
I totally know what you mean.. I want to wake Hermoine up too when it gets really late.. I long to snuggle and play with her :) Yesterday, when it got really late, I removed the top of her house to let the light in and get her to wake up ...