PDA

View Full Version : Imac Fantasy

Holly
10-29-2007, 05:04 AM
Does anyone on here have an Imac Fantasy? How do you find it?

The reason I'm asking is that my three LH girls are all going to be living in one in their new homes and, to save postage, I ordered all three for my friends and they've come here.

I'm really impressed with them - they offer a really nice amount of space and I'm thinking about getting a couple for two of our babies. I really like the Gabber Rex but we have five of them (plus one spare) and they do take up a lot of room on our shelves. If I had two Imacs I could either fit two on a shelf (for two brothers, say) or an Imac and one of the dwarf Lux cages to a shelf. I've tried both of these and they work well with easy access to the hammies.

Are there any problems with the Imac? How do you attach a water bottle as the bars are all horizontal? Do you have any problems with bar chewing? (I'm not quite so anti barred cages now we have the Cambridge and Rolo doesn't really chew the bars).

Will wanted a Savic Hamster Heaven for Mars but I think I've convinced him the Imac is better - we could buy three Imacs for the same price as one Hamster Heaven with next day elivery from Tesco Direct 8)

Jane
10-29-2007, 05:09 AM
I don't own an imac (I love my zoozone too much :D If I didn't have it I would have a 4-5 level imac though for all the hams) but my cousin does and I looked after her ham for 2 weeks so I have some experience with them.

I think they're great cages - the only thing I don't like is the fact that it has a small door on the front..but, if the hamster is nice and tame and comes to you then I guess it doesn't really matter - I'm just used to the whole top opening because of the zoozone and bin cages.

I think ideally you should tape the circle things on the top down otherwise the hamsters might learn to open them.

I don't understand the question about the water bottle? It just fits like any other water bottle would to a wire cage..?

When I looked after her hamster she didn't chew the bars much, she did occasionally but I guess it just depends on the hamster.

Oh, also, if you have two syrians in there (with it seperated of course) it's hard to fit a decent sized wheel in the upper levels..I know a wodent, comfort and rolly wheel all fit in the bottom level but only the rolly fits in the other levels I think.

Holly
10-29-2007, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, Jane 8)

I don't think the door will be a problem as our babies come to us to be picked up already. I'm going to tell my friends that, until the babies are completely used to them, they may have to lift off the top completely or get them out in a exercise ball.

I think I've read about those circle things being an escape route before - taping it is then. We wouldn't be using extensions (well I won't - Will says he is if he gets one) as it's about 104cm by 35 cm split over two floors (if you know what I mean) and I think that's plenty. Multiple levels for different hamsters just wouldn't be practical for us with the shelving we have i think.

I meant to ask about the wheel - just to be sure I could fit a wodent in the base. Re the water bottle - what I meant was that we use mouse bottles and the thing that comes with them won't reach between the two vertical bars. I guess we could use something longer?

Basia
10-29-2007, 05:18 AM
I like mine Holly. Basil and Sid live in them at the moment. I have 2 to a shelf and Basil and Sid aren't even related. They don't seem to take any notice of each other and the bottles just clip on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/imac002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/imac001.jpg
They take a bit longer to clean out than the rex but it's not too bad.
When I used the for Berry & Chunky when they were babies I didn't put the lofts in at first, just clipped the roof onto the bars. That meant I could lift it off and lift the babies out easily. Once they were tame I put the lofts in. Tell them to sellotape the discs on the roof, Basil can open his.

Jane
10-29-2007, 05:27 AM
Well my cousin uses the bottles like Basia and they're the same as the mouse ones just longer and she uses the normal wire so I think it should work? If not you can use garden wire..

I_am_plankton
10-29-2007, 05:55 AM
I love the Imac, I have 2 that are the basic cage with an extension, and one that is just a basic cage. This is one of mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/ ... IM0028.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/i_am_plankton/Hamsters/HPIM0028.jpg)

Unfortunately Lily isn't with us anymore (RIP) but her cage lives on :) I was lucky and found that one as it is for £45, a basic one for £30 and my other one and extension I had off a HH member for £25 :)

I wouldn't swap these cages for anything, they are my preferred cage and I shower them in the bath to cut down on cleaning using pet disinfectant and I dry them with towels.

I like the fact that you can block levels off using Ferplast bubble caps hence having a dwarf on the bottom and a syrian on top of one :)

Holly
10-29-2007, 06:34 AM
They look brilliant, thank you for the pictures and advice - I think I'm going to get a couple. They are 40 quid in one petshop I go to and thirty in another so it's Tesco Direct again for me :)

I'm really pleased that all my hammies who are leaving are going to good cages - Napoleon has a blue Rex with matching wodent wheel and accessories :wink: ...and the LH girls all have Imacs (at least two are getting a wodent wheel next order as well). I'm not sure about the two SH's gong to Basia and Spud's Mum but (without wishing to put them under any pressure :P ) I know they'll get them something good!

Basia
10-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Cara is going into a Rex Holly. I am not planning to buy many more rexes because I find them quite difficult to lift and carry and I take mine downstairs every evening. I have decided to use the ones I have at the moment for the mums who will be having babies so Truffle and Cara will go into the ones the babies are in just now and Berry can stay in hers although I am not planning to breed any more litters from her. I do change my hamsters around though, they don't stay in the same cage for all of their lives.
I need to buy some cages and at the moment it is a toss up between the Imacs and Wilkinsons. Haven't quite made up my mind.
I need to arrange to collect Cara. I know you are busy this weekend :wink: but soon!
Gill

suga
10-29-2007, 10:12 AM
ohh I like the look of this. What are the dimensions for a fantasy??

I_am_plankton
10-29-2007, 11:26 AM

The basic cage is made up of two layers: the overall height is about 38cms, and each floor 58cms x 38cms, so a basic cage would give you 4408cm2 floor space!!! You can also buy extensions to make them bigger

Spuds Mum
10-29-2007, 11:33 AM
T I'm not sure about the two SH's gong to Basia and Spud's Mum but (without wishing to put them under any pressure :P ) I know they'll get them something good!

Bronte will be going in a Rex (if we can get one from near you Holly!) otherwise we do have a cheaper version of the imac fantasy but that would be a temporary option until we got a gabber as it is three levels and too tall for our shelves (plus its bright pink -Barbie pink and a bit hard to live with) like this one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Three-Storey-Hamster-Cage-and-Activity-Centre_W0QQitemZ230186472544QQihZ013QQcategoryZ128 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Actually she will be going in a Gabber - just realised we have move Princess into a breeding tub so she can have that one if we cannot get her a brand spanking new one just for her :x

Holly
10-29-2007, 01:46 PM

The basic cage is made up of two layers: the overall height is about 38cms, and each floor 58cms x 38cms, so a basic cage would give you 4408cm2 floor space!!! You can also buy extensions to make them bigger

It really does look great in the "plastic" - so much bigger than the pictures have always made it look to me. I'm really impressed.

Teresa that pink cage would be a dream come true for my firend's daughter :P

Spuds Mum
10-29-2007, 01:56 PM
mm well when we bought it we didnt realise it was pink it was a flat pack cage and though it did say it was pink on the side the packaging showed a blue cage so I just assumed :oops:

I passed it on to Rose for her Cookie, but now she's a teenager she wont have it, so it is looking for a good home too! :D

It is a good cage really. good space but the levels aren't very high. If I had a 6 year old niece instead of nephew - it would be perfect for the Princess baby that we are giving him - but I definitely think he would not be too impressed!!

Basia
10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
I just won one on ebay for £17 including postage. It is used but I can see all the bits are there. How pleased am I? :P

babyboos
10-29-2007, 06:26 PM
I found the top plastic loft section got a bit sweaty, but then sometimes it went like this under the plastic platform in the Gabber too. Seemed to depend on the hamster more than the weather

Holly
10-30-2007, 07:14 AM
I just won one on ebay for £17 including postage. It is used but I can see all the bits are there. How pleased am I? :P

I saw that! I was going to bid but thought fifteen quid rather steep for postage so I contacted the seller to see if I could collect - but they are in Hampshire. If I'd known it'd go for two quid I'd have been bidding against you - oops :?

It looks like a bargain 8)

lau200
10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
i have never thought to look on ebay for an imac fantasy :oops: i bought both the cage and the extension brand new.... i might have alook for another extension on there (it will be Summer's chritsmas present :D )

Holly
11-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I just won one as well! It's a month old and it was £17.55 plus postage but they live 40 mins drive from me so I can collect to save the postage :)

babyboos
11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
most my Ferplast cages came from eBay
they are good for new cages too - Gabber was only available on eBay for a while

Basia
11-01-2007, 01:53 PM
I just won one as well! It's a month old and it was £17.55 plus postage but they live 40 mins drive from me so I can collect to save the postage :)

I was watching that one but had to go to Rob's parents evening. Glad you got it! :D

Spuds Mum
11-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Glad there was one for each of you. Great prices!

Basia
11-03-2007, 04:24 AM
Received my cage this morning, I am pleased with it. The plastic bits are shiny like new, some chewing on the bars but generally in very good condition. I'm glad I got it for £2.20 thought because the postage was a rip-off - £15 charged, cost £9.20. So bear in mind if you are buying Imacs on ebay the sellers can post them by Royal Mail for under a tenner, shouldn't be charging much more...

Holly
11-03-2007, 05:04 AM
Got mine as well - sounds like it's much the same as yours in that it's all there and the plastic looks new - there's just a little chew damage to the bars (hope that's not a prophecy of bar chewing :roll: ).

I knew fifteen quid was a rip off - I do a lot of ebaying and you can send up to 10kg via standard parcel for less than that - and there's no way and IMac's anywhere near 10kg.

Basia
11-03-2007, 05:23 AM
I knew it was a rip-off as well which is why I didn't bid much for the cage. If they had kept the postage lower I think it would have had a lot more people bidding on it so swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Glad you got yours too. I think the yellow does come off the Imacs quite easily, my other 2 have paint off the bars too. Having said that it doesn't take much bar chewing to rub the paint off as none of mine are really bar chewers but even my new cages have little rubs in the odd corner.