PDA

View Full Version : Princess is expecting (mating diary new thread)

Spuds Mum
10-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi All,
Well I'm 95% sure Princess is expecting. She is a LH sable roan and has previously had one litter.
On Friday 19th October we mated her to our LH satin cream Dubaku.

since that time she has seemed to trash and rearrange her cage, and last night we noticed she appeared to have baggy 'bat wings' under her arms.

Tonight we got her out and, unless we are imagining it, she seems definitely more chunky around the middle.

If all goes ok, her pups will be due on Sunday 2nd November, and we expect to have a mixture of sables and cream. As Dubaku may also carry Cinnamon (and we know Princess does) there may also be mink too. All pups should be longhaired and about half should be satin and half roan.

Will let you know if my suspicions are well founded!

Basia
10-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Oooo exciting - a new mating thread! :D
Not long to wait now, I really hope Princess is expecting because I so want to see what she has.

Holly
10-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Oooh good news Teresa (I still can't believe Dubs is going to be a dad and Rolls an uncle but I guess time moves a bit quicker in the hamster world :wink: ).

Keep us posted, we want to know all.

souffle
10-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Looking forward to seeing how long 'The Princess diaries' gets :lol: :lol: Mmmmm maybe Nappy will get a wife sooner......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO says bigD :lol:

Spuds Mum
10-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Now come on Souffle, you'll have to use some of your dog training skills to good effect on Big D! :x :x
Only joking, but I do hope that Princess has some lovely babies and that we find as nice homes as Basia and Holly have done! And...whether now or in the future, I would be delighted if some of the lovely hamster mad people of HC would want to have a pup of ours.
I need you to task Pophammy with a name for this potential litter though - Princess and Dubaku hmmmm... can't see her making anything cute out of that!
:D
Though I loved your reference to the Princess diaries! Now why didn't I think of that? :shock:

Spuds Mum
10-26-2007, 10:02 AM
:oops: :oops: oo sorry - didnt mean Big D was a dog - I meant you will have to get him trained like you train the dogs! :shock: :oops:
And sorry to double post - would have edited but breeding doesn't let me! :D

babyboos
10-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Breeding section doesn't let you edit your posts? wierd will need to check that one out as as far as I am aware you should be able to edit all sections... does anyone else have a problem?

Sounds like a lovely mating I would love a Hamster Central Hamster :oops: Quite a few of the original hamsters on here were bred by myself but many have now passed over the bridge. Would be lovely to get a baby from another member one day.

Spuds Mum
10-26-2007, 03:53 PM
I think quite a few people have the problem Babyboos - there is no edit button comes up!
I just hope that she actually is expecting as if not I think a call to the hamster psychiatrist is in order. We moved her to a plastic cage from her wire one a few weeks before the mating (as we didnt htink the other one was suitable) had no problem, but since the mating she has gone mad wrecking her cage but also gnawing the plastic (she has always been a plastic chewer).
So tonight, fearing that she would manage to get out of her Gabber (or ruin it) we have put her in one of our home made bin breeding cages.

Basia
10-27-2007, 12:34 AM
It sounds promising doesn't it. Did she have her babies in a bin last time?
I can't edit in the breeding section either Babyboos.

Holly
10-27-2007, 01:03 AM
We;; Caramel was EXACTLY the same, doing the cage trashing thing...and 11 babes later she's back to her old self :wink:

Sounds promising to me, am very excited 8)

Spuds Mum
10-27-2007, 01:05 AM
It sounds promising doesn't it. Did she have her babies in a bin last time?

She did Basia. I've just come up to check on the hamsters this morning and she's trashed the bin cage as well! At least I don't worry too much about the bin cage. I think she would have to do a lot of work to get out of it! But her wheel is on its side, her bedding is strewn all over the cage, food all over and I put in a cardboard box that she loves to chew and she has made a nest not in it, but burrowing under it into the wood shavings!

I actually quite like it though, it shows her personality! :) I wouldn't have minded too much about her ruining the Gabber, but its so hard to find them in our area that I'm a bit precious with them! :oops:

pophammy
10-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Aww, great news. Can't wait for the babies!

Hmmmmmm, what to call them! How about... Princakus? Dubesses? Prubessus? Dinsaks? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Souf thinks that they should be called the Dim Sum Selection, though how she came up with that I do not know! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Holly
10-27-2007, 12:20 PM
I like Dubesses!! 8)

Spuds Mum
10-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Dubesses it is then! :lol: Thanks Pophammy, I knew I could rely on you!
I do think Dim Sum is a good name for a hamster though - so I've added it to my hamster name list (yes I am actually that sad I have a list of names I come across and like!)
I do hope Princess is expecting now as we already have a definite home for one of the pups - my brother rang today as he would like one for my nephew Aidan. Quite good news really as I will be able to give it as a present and include the cage etc. as part of his Christmas present.
So good on two points:
1- I get to stay in touch and know exactly what home it will be going to
2- I can choose the cage and accessories that the new baby will have and ensure he has a great home!!

Of course as you probably guessed, I've added another Gabber Rex to my wish list for this 'maybe baby'!
So all that's needed is for Princess to (literally) deliver! :x

Basia
10-28-2007, 02:03 AM
Well she's got to oblige you with some babies now! It is great when they go to people and you can still get to see them.
(I too have a hamster name list :oops: )

Holly
10-28-2007, 02:59 AM
I'm really excited about the Dubesses - I keep telling myself we have enough hammies (which we do, for now!). It's even more exciting as I feel we are related to them 8)

Spuds Mum
10-28-2007, 03:03 AM
I'm really excited about the Dubesses - I keep telling myself we have enough hammies (which we do, for now!). It's even more exciting as I feel we are related to them 8)

I'm excited too Holly, definitely more than Princess is! She's been out this morning and doesn't look a lot bigger, but she is still chunkier than a few weeks ago.

It is the last time we will try breeding her I think if she doesn't catch (although don't hold me to that!). I am so hoping that she is expecting and that things go a little better than last time!

Basia
10-28-2007, 03:28 AM
Dubesses - I love it 8)
When is she actually due?

Spuds Mum
10-28-2007, 03:32 AM
1 week today is 16 days - so probably a week this evening (although last time she surprised me by giving birth at lunchtime!)

How embarrassed am I going to be if she is not expecting and [/b]I have had a phantom pregnancy (i.e. I think she's pregnant - she doesn't!!) :oops: ]

Basia
10-28-2007, 03:38 AM
Well hopfully we will have the dubesses next week but if she isn't pregnant, these things just happen. You won't be the only ones dissappointed though!

Spuds Mum
10-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Well yesterday evening I weighed my brood. The last time I did this was on the 7th October......
Princess has put on 17 g in 21 days. That sounds a lot to me!! Do you think that's normal?
She doesn't look massive yet, but she definitely looks 'rounder'.

And I checked her tummy and she has very prominent nipples today. so I think we might be 'systems go' :x :x

Holly
10-29-2007, 01:40 PM
It's sounding very likely - I'm excited for you. :)

souffle
10-29-2007, 02:02 PM
I think she is pregnant Spud's mum. They put on the weight in the last 5 days or so usually. Looking forward to some pinkies soon!

Basia
10-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Ooo, that sounds very promising. :D :D

babyboos
10-29-2007, 06:27 PM
I would get some baby food in :wink:

Spuds Mum
11-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Well Princess is definitely looking rounder, though, like last time she doesn't have the obvious baby bulge that Bramble had. I can see the bump in her tummy as she is moving around, and have tried really hard to capture it on camera but it doesn't seem as obvious on the photos! :roll: maybe partly it is due to her being long haired I guess, the bump is camouflaged by her fluffy coat.
Anyway, Bramble's Dad took some while I tried to keep her still by distracting her and this is what we got! Sorry they are not great.

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/misc/princess_01-11-07_001.jpg

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/misc/princess_01-11-07_002.jpg

So what does everyone think? Is it my imagination or are there a couple of Dubesses in there waiting to come out at the weekend? :lol:

babyboos
11-01-2007, 01:18 PM
fingers crossed for you

Holly
11-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Well if you think she's rounder (she looks it to me) you know her best! As babyboos says, fingers crossed - and be sure to keep us posted!

Spuds Mum
11-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Well if she is not pregnant she certainly needs to go on a diet! :x

She has a definite baby bulge this time, much more than last time (which is quite worrying as we think she started off with 13 babies last time even though only 3 survived :shock: )

She had made a lovely nest in a cardboard box and we thought she would use that to have her young in, however yesterday she ripped it to shreds! then she seemed to wonder where it had gone :roll: . Today we have been out and bought a large (for piggies) plastic house and put it in and she has really prepared herself well by piling the bedding up inside it and also on the outside. she is totally hidden and so we hope that she feels a lot calmer this time round than last.

Tomorrow night should be the night, so will let you know!

Holly
11-04-2007, 02:19 AM
Ooooh exciting - be sure and let us know. Will be thinking of you and Princess this evening, I know how exciting and nerve-wracking it all is!

Jane
11-04-2007, 03:37 AM
Ooh I'm excited for you lol :P Any babies yet :D

Spuds Mum
11-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Ooh I'm excited for you lol :P Any babies yet :D

Nothing to report as yet Jane - Just popped down to have a quick look at Princess (I've put her in my bedroom as we were tidying the house today and needed to hoover the hamster room so didn't want her disturbed)
She is sleeping at the moment, but it should be in a matter of hours if it is going to happen!!

We didn't time it very well really with all the fireworks etc. for her to not be disturbed, but we are doing our best to keep her very calm.

Wish us luck guys.

souffle
11-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Good luck Princess. Looking forward to hearing of the patter of tiny paws!

Spuds Mum
11-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Quick update..
I have left Princess alone in my bedroom for the day and just went to put some ironing away and heard a couple of little squeaks and some snuffling.
I can't see anything (she's well hidden away in the new home we got yesterday) but there was a little blood stained bedding near the entrance (only a tiny bit of blood, nothing to worry me)

So it looks as though Dubaku is a teenage father!

I'm wishing a very easy delivery for Princess, and a successful pup raising. I'm so worried after last time, but having made the decision to mate her again, all we can do is try to make the whole thing as stress free as possible.

pophammy
11-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Yay! Congrats to Princess and Dubaku! Keep us updated daily on their progress please and here's hoping for a happy, healthy litter! :D

Basia
11-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Great news! :)

souffle
11-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Brilliant news Spud's mum...and so the Princess Diaries begins............ :wink:

Jane
11-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Yay! Congrats ;) Hope all goes well :D

Holly
11-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Great news Teresa :)

Keep us posted, I know there won't be much news for a while (I didn't even see ours for 7 days :oops: ) but when there is news and it's safe we want photos :P

Spuds Mum
11-08-2007, 05:10 AM
well, over the last few days I have been manouvering myself into all sorts of positions to try to look through a bin cage side, into the house 'front door' and into the far corner where Princess has made her nest. All to no avail. we knew there was at least one pup though as we have been hearing occasional squeaks during the night (she's staying in our room still).......
Last night she made it all pointless...

We heard her get up and have a wander around her cage at about 1.00 am. Arti got up to go to the loo, and as I laid there half asleep and listening to her sounds, they just didn't seem right...not normal sounds of her pottering about her cage...
I got up to look at her and, despite hearing her still couldn't see her.. I thought she might have gone back in her house, but couldn't see her there either, so gently lifted off the house roof (more of that later)...no Princess. She'd escaped!!!!
When Arti returned I was almost beside myself, I couldn't see her anywhere, so we basically were running around the bedroom to try to find her, until Arti (bless him) had the idea of taking out the drawers from the chest that her cage was on, and there underneath was Princess looking very confused :shock:

We returned her to her cage (making sure she couldnt escape again), and I insisted on leaving the landing light on and door ajar just until I could be sure she was going to go back to her pups. It seemed the longest 10 minutes ever, but she eventually returned to nurse them.

I was then worried that she had been out a long time (though as we are both really light sleepers and she had woken us up I dont think she can have been. And that the pups had gotten cold and perished..during the night though, those little squeaks came again and I eventually relaxed. :D

Now to the pups. We took off the roof of her house last night as she had climbed on this and managed to escape out of the top of the bin, so I can now reveal that I have definitely seen squirming pups!!

I looked again this morning whilst Princess had breakfast and counted.......

13 pups

one of them looked a lot tinier than the others though, and, remembering what happened last time, I am not "counting my hamsters before they are furry"

Basia
11-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Oh Wow, that's a lot of pups! She certainly keeps you on your toes doesn't she? So lucky you realised things weren't right and found her quickly.
I would have needed a stiff drink after that!

Spuds Mum
11-08-2007, 06:10 AM
I think she has been in secret contact with Holly's Caramel, because she did something similar didn't she, and we have never had any escape from bin cages before!

souffle
11-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Oh my my heart was racing reading that. :? What a stroke of luck you heard her Spud's mum and a blessing she took the pups back right away. Heres hoping all runs smoothly from now on in. Poor little pinklets having their mum run away :wink: Better padlock her in now, naughty princess! 13 is a lot of babies for her to cope with so maybe she just wanted some tome out :lol:

Spuds Mum
11-08-2007, 12:51 PM
She is certainly one on her own...a proper little Madam! But I do love her strange little ways.
She is now very securely fastened in her tub cage, but conntinues to appear to be taking really good care of her pups, and bless..the kids can't help it if there Mum is a little nutty! :roll:
(mine have had to cope for all these years :shock: :x )

Holly
11-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Oh my goodness! I remember the heart pounding moment when I saw Caramel on the floor :shock: ...though our babes were a lot older than yours - you must have been frantic!

And....thirteen...wow!!! Can't wait to see them when we can!

babyboos
11-09-2007, 01:48 AM
I think I would run away if I had 13 mouths all clambering to be fed.... :wink: :oops: :?

glad she is home quickly and safely. I am sure you are already :oops: but make sure she gets lots of lovely supplements with such a large litter - I really like your sentiment - don't count your pinkies until they are furries - that is so apt :lol:

Spuds Mum
11-09-2007, 11:19 AM
She's having supplements every day Babyboos, so far, porridge, chicken, tofu, egg, carrot & brocolli, dog biscuits and wheetabix.
Is there anything else anyone can think of I should be giving her?
She is taking good care of them, despite being quite a 'people' hamster, she doesn't rush out every time we are in the room like she used to (even like she did with her last litter).
Since I loosened the lid on her house she has really piled up the nest so it totally covers her and the litter. Do you think that is okay? I'm a bit worried about the pups suffocating (not that I can do much of course)? Since seeing the pups yesterday morning I've made no attempt to do so again, and will just wait until she 'presents' them to me!
I know I've had litters before, but I'm much more 'antsy' about this one, cause I really want Princess to do well. :x

souffle
11-10-2007, 09:13 AM
They won't suffocate Spud.s mum, Princess will be able to moniter the nest temperature and make up the pile accordingly. You do always think the worst and wonder what is happening under the heap though we find. She seems to be having plenty good food there.

Holly
11-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Caramel did the same with our babies quite often, the little minx, and piled the bedding up all around and on top of them so we couldn't see in - part of the reason why I didn't even see them 'til they were a week old.

Spuds Mum
11-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Well she has uncovered them a little, and even, this afternoon came out for just a minute or so and I checked her over.
She has a broken tooth!! :cry: I can only assume that she broke it somehow in the escape on Wednesday night. she's eating fine, but I have noticed her placing her seeds, peanuts and dog biscuits in the bowl when I have given her some cereal or porridge so I was thinking her mouth may be a bit sore. I have upped the amount of soft food and given her some baby food today.

While she was out eating I managed to get another look and photo of the pups and have put it on my website under the breeding diary! :D
It looks like Princess may be homozygous for umbrous as the pups I saw all looked to be dark, sables and sable roans! :D

Jane
11-11-2007, 02:27 AM
I just looked at the pics and awwww :D Ikkle aliens ;)

Holly
11-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Oh Teresa, they look absolutely wonderful! It so reminds me of my babies - and yet they are all dark and so unlike mine as well! I love them (and want one :oops: ).

I know that "pure" sable to "pure" cream is supposed to result in a roughly half cream and half sable litter - what about cream and Sable Roan????

Jane
11-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Oh Teresa, they look absolutely wonderful! It so reminds me of my babies - and yet they are all dark and so unlike mine as well! I love them (and want one :oops: ).

I want one too haha. I wish.

Basia
11-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I can't believe they are already a week old. They will soon be coming out.
Cream to sable roan should produce cream, sable and roans of both.

Spuds Mum
11-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys! :x
The thing with the umbrous gene is, because it is dominant, it will present whether the animal is Uu or UU. So we dont really know whether Princess is one or the other of these.

If (as I now suspect) she is UU each of her offspring will inherit one of her U genes (and u from Dubaku who being cream is uu) and so all will be Uu and therefore will present umbrous (i.e be sable)

We worked out that Spud was UU also after the mating to Butterbean as we would have expected about half of that litter to be cream if he was Uu.

Of course I may be wrong and there may be a cream hidden away in the litter, but from what I've seen so far, all look dark (though I think we have a fair few roans!)

Spuds Mum
11-13-2007, 02:18 PM
I just thought I'd let you know I got a couple more pics this morning when Princess was having breakfast! They are on the site http://www.madabouthamsters.com/breeding_diary/current/cur_plnd.html
They are 10 days old now and I know I should be supplementary feeding them by sprinkling round the nest. I am trying, but P is so obsessed she is covering them with about 3 inches of shavings continuously! some of it must be getting down to them though!
They are being good children, but today have seen a couple crawl out of the shavings and wander round inside the house, so I think I will be seeing more of them soon. :x

Holly
11-14-2007, 03:02 AM
They are absolutely beautiful, Teresa, just the cutest :)
I can't wait to see them on the move and find out exactly what you have in there! I can see one definite roan :wink:

Spuds Mum
11-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks Julie,
They are very cute and there seem to be about half a dozen roans. In fact there seem to be more roans than sables from the slight glimpses so far!
Got home from work early today and (of course) came straight to the hamster room. One of the roan pups was outside the house lying still between the two food bowls. I panicked that the poor wee mite was dead, but then noticed him moving. I made some noise to wake Princess in the hope of getting her to pick him up, but she didnt see him, so eventually I returned him to the nest on a spoon!
They are now a squirming mass of pups, I tried counting, and think there may be 13 still, but will wait and see. I guess that they should be out and about in the next day or two much more!

Basia
11-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I've just been over to your website to see the latest pictures. They are so gorgeous and so many of them! Looks like you have a lot of roans in there :P
Princess is certainly doing them well, they look lovely healthy pups.

souffle
11-15-2007, 08:40 AM
They are just gorgeous. You are going to have your hands full (literally) when it comes to taming time with these cuties. :lol:

Spuds Mum
11-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I can't wait Souffle! :x I've told Princess I'm available for babysitting, but she says I don't have enough equipment!!

Princess has tonight bowed to the inevitable.
We thought she was having another mad moment when one of the pups escaped from the house. Princess ran round the cage with it in her mouth before placing it carefully in the corner where she keeps her food.
She then carefully removed each pup from the house and put them in the same corner, right near the food bowls and her food store, and then gathered up all of the bedding to make a nice cosy nest.

I'm really pleased because it means we can finally start to get more of a look at the babies. They seem extremely well behaved, but she is so attentive I still can't definitely tell the number of pups.

I've updated my site with a couple of pics today!

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/breeding_diary/current/cur_plnd.html

Jane
11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Awwwwwwww lovely piccies :D

Basia
11-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh Teresa, they are just gorgeous. :D Princess looks very pleased with herself in that last picture doesn't she?

Spuds Mum
11-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Oh Teresa, they are just gorgeous. :D Princess looks very pleased with herself in that last picture doesn't she?
lol - I thought she looks absolutely exhausted! But your right, she also looks very self-satisfied. as well she might! :x

Bailey-Benji
11-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Aww, they're looking great! I love the last pic, the way that cheeky little pup is climbing all over Princess!

Spacemonkey
11-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Those are gorgeous babies, you must be a proud grandma :D

I_am_plankton
11-16-2007, 03:22 AM
Awww they are cute!!

Spuds Mum
11-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Those are gorgeous babies, you must be a proud grandma :D

agghhhh *chokes* - don't even say the words :x :x as long as I stay only a hamster grandma! :wink:

Holly
11-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Ohhhh...they are so cute! It doesn't seem two minutes since ours were that teensy with their eyes closed. They are absolutely beautiful - well done Princess, you are going to deserve a major rest after this :wink:

souffle
11-18-2007, 01:41 PM
They are so gorgeous and she is doing a great job there. Oh they are just so tempting....

Spuds Mum
11-18-2007, 01:46 PM
They are lovely aren't they :D and the most well behaved litter for their mum I have ever seen. Ptrincess was going stir crazy tonight so has just had a 10 minute run in her ball - not one Dubess moved from the nest! They do occasionally foray out, but seem happiest when all snuggled together. They are also incredibly quiet compared to my other litters, but I guess this is because Mum is so attentive, they want for nothing.
I just want them all to come out for 30 seconds at least so I can count them :roll: I've fed them my rice pudding tonight but Mum keeps pushing the dish towards the nest, so they don't have to move even for that!
What can you do?
:? :x

Holly
11-18-2007, 02:14 PM
I saw lots (and lots!) of pictures today at Lymm and they are so, so cute and beautiful. As souffle says, sooooo tempting :wink:

Spuds Mum
11-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I saw lots (and lots!) of pictures today at Lymm and they are so, so cute and beautiful. As souffle says, sooooo tempting :wink:

Yes, you were very patient Julie :oops: especially since there were dozens of photos, but all of a bundle of hamsters in the nest!

Spuds Mum
11-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Well today we can finally reveal that we have 13 hamster pups. I cleaned the cage out today (13 pups make a lot of mess/smell) and took the chance to handle the pups for a very very short time (just to put them somewhere safe while we cleaned).
Princess is a very friendly hamster and though very protective, was quite happy for us to handle the pups for a short time. We rubbed our hands in the dirty shavings before handling and Princess didn't even worry when we placed them back in the cage.

We appear to have 9 roans (3 look definitely satin) and 4 sables (1 definitely satin) and it appears the majority may be girls, though we didn't have a proper look.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics! :x

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_1.jpg

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_2.jpg

souffle
11-19-2007, 03:10 PM
They are just wonderful. So lovely to see them all out and about with their little faces lookng so cute. Thank you for the lovely pics.

Basia
11-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Aw Teresa, they are just gorgeous! Two of my favourite colours and 13 of them! Princess has done really well hasn't she? Do any of them look long-haired? You will be spoilt for choice choosing a roan out of that little lot. :D

Spuds Mum
11-20-2007, 12:47 AM
I think they should all be long haired as both Princess and Dubaku are, but it is quite hard to tell. I've never bred long hairs before, and so am trying (unsuccessfully) to try to measure the hair against previous litters in my mind.
There are some lovely even roans I have to say, there are about 3 or 4 I'm keeping my eye on :roll: and the one I think will be a LH sable satin is also capturing my imagination. But we shall see what they are like when they lose that final bit of baby scrawniness and fill out into mini hamsters

Basia
11-20-2007, 01:34 AM
I thought all of mine would be LH because the parents are but I got some SH. When mine were just a tad older than yours they looked as though they were all LH and quite a few of them looked as if they were satin but they didn't all turn out to be.
You will have lots of fun 'watching and seeing', I am very envious! I am really looking forward to more pictures as they grown up. :D

Holly
11-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Awww, they are absolutely beautiful!! And what a clever way of displaying them all in a picture 8)

Fancy having so many roans ....and possibly so may girls!!

I love them, I love them, I love them :P

Holly
11-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Any more pics/news, Teresa?

I know you've been ill so I guess that's why we haven't seen more pictures - I look on your site every day :wink:

Hope you feel better soon

Spuds Mum
11-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm really sorry I havent given any updates for a while. As Holly said, I've been full of cold so haven't been doing much hammy handling! Then today, my laptop died, so have just managed some time on my daughter's.
The pups are continuing to grow and are all fit and healthy. There doesn't seem to be a runt as such (Princess I am so proud!!) although one is very slightly smaller. They all are very friendly and laid back and are quite happy to scramble over our hands and investigate the world, although I have to say that the whole family have been peed on more than with any of our other litters! Seems that the little darlings just cant wait to be picked up so that they can relieve themselves! :roll:
It now appears that we have
1 x sable boy
2 x sable girls
4 x roan boys
6 x roan girls

They still love being together and I got some lovely photos in the playpen last night (will try to get them posted tonight) and Mum is still happily feeding them and looking after them well.

Spuds Mum
11-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Well Arti has been working on the website today (doing techy things I dont understand :? ) and so has only managed to upload a couple of photos for me to put on HC. so they are not on our website yet but here are three photos taken yesterday, to show how the little guys are growing.
I dont know what Souffle and Pophammy will think but it looks like the little Dubesses are also paw wavers too! What will Paws think??

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_3.jpg

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_4.jpg

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_5.jpg

pophammy
11-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Awww! They are GORGEOUS!!! They are getting so big now, last time I looked at this thread they were little squawking pinkies! :lol: :lol: :lol:

souffle
11-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Oh my they are just adorable. The little faces and the pawaving. I think you have a few satins there too and I would say they all look longhaired. They are just beautiful!

Spuds Mum
11-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks PH and Souffle, they do all appear to be LH and I wasn't sure on the satins, but some do appear shiny compared to the others who are more 'fluffy' if you know what I mean!
I can't believe we have 13 without a real runt! Princess is a proper earth mother this time! :x
I've asked LMDH on the other forum about what makes a good roan for showing, so that I can learn a little bit! They may not make the best show hamsters of course, but I am (as you both know) very eager to learn, so if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them - as well as from anyone else too!
At the moment Arti and the kids have fallen for a satin sable girl but there are 3 or 4 roans I am keeping my eye on!

souffle
11-25-2007, 01:12 PM
I like the little roan in the second photo with its bottom next to mum. It looks like a straight roan but the colour pales nicely towards the back and as it is long haired it is that bit darker so when the fur grows it should retain the colour fade effect better I think. It will probably look different in two days :oops: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Basia
11-25-2007, 01:13 PM
They are really coming on well aren't they? I have been checking the website most days too but the pictures are worth waiting for. They are absolutely cute and gorgeous. :D [/i]

Holly
11-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Oh Teresa, they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe how quickly they've come on, I love them. Pictures worth wating for and hope you feel better!

Spuds Mum
11-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks Lynne and Gill,

I think they are a good looking litter :lol:
and the one you mention is one of the ones I'm watching Lynne! As you say, they change so quickly that I'm sure I'll be able to see more in the next week or so!

Does it bring back memories of your (now not so) little guys Gill? I hope they turn out half as gorgeous as Gizmo and Runty :x

Basia
11-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks Lynne and Gill,

I think they are a good looking litter :lol:
and the one you mention is one of the ones I'm watching Lynne! As you say, they change so quickly that I'm sure I'll be able to see more in the next week or so!

Does it bring back memories of your (now not so) little guys Gill? I hope they turn out half as gorgeous as Gizmo and Runty :x

Yes it really does. Your baby roans look a lot like ours did, it is fascinating to see how their colour changes almost from day to day. Why do we all seem to get colds when we have babies though?? Hope you are getting a lot of fun with them despite your cold. It's very hard trying to decide which ones to keep - I don't envy you that with so many to choose from too!
Your thread on the other forum is very interesting too.

Spuds Mum
11-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Oh Teresa, they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe how quickly they've come on, I love them. Pictures worth wating for and hope you feel better!

sorry Julie, we were posting at the same time so I inadvertantly ignored you! I'm glad you like them, I think they are a very sweet litter and so nice natured, happily coming up for cuddles. I am feeling a bit better thanks.

Spuds Mum
11-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi All,
A quick update. I hope to post some pictures this evening, but the pups are doing fabulously. the are growing almost by the hour. they are now 25 days old and are still in with Mum who is being an absolute star! I am a little worried that she is doing too well actually, as she still happily feeds them and shows no signs of concern or getting cross at being followed around the cage constantly by a horde of hungry pups. She does look tired though.
Milk being not enough for them, they are eating me out of house and home almost, going through two handfuls of hamster mix per day plus a milk meal (porridge/wheetabix etc.) and a protein/veg meal (e.g. chicken and pepper).
I was a lilttle worried that, being a largish litter that the pups would remain small, but am hopeful that, if they continue as they are now, we should have some real 'puddings' on our hands.

Spuds Mum
11-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Another update - and apology!
Have had a nightmare week with techonology, the website went down, my laptop died, and our router lost all of our settings.

so we have been offline most of the time for the past couple of days. Which is a shame as Arti bought a new digital SLR camera and took some great photos of the pups last night.
Hopefully we will be able to get them posted this weekend.

Anyway, it is day 27 and Princess is still feeding the pups! She looks exhausted but I haven't seen any signs of frustration or being ready to be moved away from them yet, so I think we will leave it for another day or two.

The pups are beautiful (as you will be able to see when we post some photos :roll: ) and growing well. They are really friendly and climb onto our hands to come ot for a cuddle already! :D

Jane
12-01-2007, 03:08 AM
Glad they are all doing well :D You don't need to apologise either ;)

Can't wait to see the piccies :D

Holly
12-02-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm also looking forward to pictures - I know how hectic life can be though - I've been busy this week with a sick child, migraine, Christmas shopping, getting ready for Kingswinford, school Christmas fair - and looking after all the hams. It does all rather get in the way of picture taking :?

Matty Day
12-02-2007, 02:44 PM
excatly the same as my week ive lost my memory stick ive got 2 essays due in on on louis xiv on about james the first and one person is ill a t work meaning im having to work longer

Spuds Mum
12-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks, I hope next week is better for all of us! And hope you do well on your essays Matty, I love history, especially now I can read about it for pleasure rather than for school!
Well, here we are still not fully sorted (though I am typing on my brand new laptop :oops: :D ).
Tonight I took the decision to separate Princess and the pups. At 29 days she was still feeding them and showing no inclination to leave them, but she is so thin and looks so tired, so we decided that it was time for her to have a rest and some spoiling.
we've also separated the boys from the girls.
anyway, better late than never, here are a few of the photos weve taken over the last couple of days. the first two are with our old camera and the rest are with Arti's new SLR 'baby'.

Princess still feeding at 27 days
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_6.jpg

A hamster pyramid

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_7.jpg

hamster 'high five' (or girlie fighting)
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_8.jpg

Cute roan in the 'toilet'
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_9.jpg

"I meant to fall off that log and get covered in sawdust!"
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_10.jpg

"Puuuuush"
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_11.jpg

Look what I can do now! Watch me go!
[img]http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_princess_babies_12.jpg

Hope they were worth waiting for - will get some more done tomorrow (including some of the lovely ligt roan girlies)

souffle
12-02-2007, 04:15 PM
They are just stunning pics and the hamsters are just beautiful now. Princess has done a fantastic job and she sure deserves her rest now. Looking forward to seeing more pics. I love that hamster pyramid! :D

Basia
12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Aw Teresa they are just gorgeous. Love the little sable climbing out. Love them all in fact. You have some lovely little roans in there. :P
The hamster pyramid must be a classic photo, you should enter it in a contest. Princess has done a great job with the babies, hope she is now having a well earned rest.

Holly
12-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Oh my goodness - what beautiful babies and what fantastic photos - I agree with Basia about the Hamster Pyramid - it's a classic 8)

So how many boys and girls did you get in the end, Teresa - was your initial assessment correct?

Spuds Mum
12-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Well so far we have 8 girls and 5 boys, but am continuing to check each day for any (ahem :oops: 'late bloomers') am at work at the moment but will do a full run down of age, colour etc (hiopefully with more photos) this evening.

souffle
12-03-2007, 07:33 AM
One of the boys in the first picture is most definiitly NOT a late bloomer :oops: :oops: :oops:

Holly
12-03-2007, 08:13 AM
One of the boys in the first picture is most definiitly NOT a late bloomer :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ha!! I see that too - not too much of a problem working him out then :x

Spuds Mum
12-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Well the final count is:
GIRLS
3 light LH satin sable roans
2 dark LH sable roan
1 dark LH satin sable roan
2 LH sable

BOYS
1 light LH satin sable roan
2 LH sable roan
1 v dark LH satin sable roan
1 sable

I took them all to Mapplewell today to show the experts and they were cooed over.

I showed them to sheryl and Andrew (judges) who helped me choose a sable girl and a sable roan girl for showing. They are now called Sabine (sable) and Amelie (roan) and I will introduce them properly soon (though when goodness only knows as I havent introduced Bronte properly yet!

Holly took a light LH satin sable girl for herself and had arranged to also take a darker sable roan for her friends son.
Claire took an absolute shine to the litter and took one of the female sables.
Sue the secretary has asked me to run on two sable roans for her (one light one dark)

My nephew has asked for a hamster for christmas and is to have the final roan girl......so in the space of a day, all the girls have homes!!!
:shock:

So only 5 boys to go to new homes - I need 4 for the pre-orders at the pet shop and when I came back from the show there was a phone message from a lad who had one of Butterbeans babies asking whether we had any of our latest llitter available! :shock:

So it appears the whole litter are actually spoken for! And I was so worried about people liking them!
:wink:

souffle
12-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Well no wonder they are all booked. They are stunning babies. Look forward to seing them all growing. I love to follow babies as they go on :lol: :lol:

Basia
12-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm not surprised you found homes for them so easily, I think they are just a gorgeous litter. I would have snapped up that little sable climbing out in the photo if I lived nearer. :D

Holly
12-08-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm also not surprised they are all taken, Teresa - as they are all stunning babies.

I'm over the moon with No-Name (as she is for now until we decide :wink: ) and I know Jack and his mum will adore No-Name II. They've both been out for a cuddle tonight and seem totally unfazed being here - I'm really glad we can keep them together to run-on for a couple of weeks 8)

I've taken their wheel out just now though - they haven't been off it since we got home :?

Spuds Mum
12-08-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm so glad they have both found really good and loving homes.

The boys and girls have been out for a cuddle as well tonight and seem to have quite enjoyed today's adventure. They really seemed to have enjoyed having lots of holding and attention and like the little cuddle addicts they are, are still craving more!

I was quite pleased to see that size wise they were all on a par with the dark grey girls that were on the sales table (or reserved) and that the judges thought that some of them had good type and were all round good hamsters!

I meant to mention Julie that Andrew preferred yours whilst Sheryl preferred mine. They then decided that Amelie was better 'by a nose' (literally, Sheryl explained she preferred not to see the little rounded bits by the nostril protruding a little) Andrew sort of looked as though he didnt necessarily agree but went along with it.

So note to ourselves - enter Amelie when Sheryl is judging, No-name when Andrew is lol

babyboos
12-08-2007, 06:05 PM
my goodness that is really nit-picking you must be so pleased :wink:

Holly
12-09-2007, 02:35 AM
I meant to mention Julie that Andrew preferred yours whilst Sheryl preferred mine. They then decided that Amelie was better 'by a nose' (literally, Sheryl explained she preferred not to see the little rounded bits by the nostril protruding a little) Andrew sort of looked as though he didnt necessarily agree but went along with it.

So note to ourselves - enter Amelie when Sheryl is judging, No-name when Andrew is lol

Ha! It's Andrew at Bradford so I'd better make sure she's ready :wink:

They definitely are little cuddle addicts - I had them both out again last night just before I went to bed - becaues when I went over to their cage and lifted the lid to straighten the steps they both popped out onto my lap :shock:

8)

Spuds Mum
12-09-2007, 03:31 AM
my goodness that is really nit-picking you must be so pleased :wink:

I'm pleased there is really nothing in it really and that Holly has a good one too. Especially as we seem to be intent on pitting brothers and sisters against each other. It is nice that (hopefully) we will both have nice animals to show, and that there is no competition between us as our animals are all family anyway!

I was quite relieved that they picked out 2 of the three that I had thought were quite good, but that they thought they were nice was a great relief!

Holly
12-09-2007, 03:43 AM
I agree that it's kind of nice we have hamsters who are "family" .....because then even if our own don't do so well we can still be happy that their brother/sister has! I don't really think of myself as terribly competitive but I'll admit it's a nice - and slightly addictive - feeling when one of your hammies does well. As there's a lot of competition out there I know mine won't always do well - now I've got other hamsters I know well and I can be happy when they win stuff too :wink:

Spuds Mum
12-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I've posted some photos on my site of the 5 boys who are still available. I've also taken some photos tonight of Sabine and Amelie, but they will have to wait for another day.

I've been on tenterhooks all night as Vala's litter would be due today, but there is no sign of them. She's been out to eat 3 times tonight and doesn't look in the least bit slimmer or in discomfort! I guess she didn't catch :cry: what I'm most worried about is the fact that she is 257g in weight, which I put down to pregnancy weight = but obviously not!

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/breeding_diary/current/princess_04-11-07/princess.html

Basia
12-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Aw Teresa, they are so cute. :P The 2 sables look like cuddly little teddy bears.

babyboos
12-10-2007, 05:19 PM
oh I love looking at your pictures

souffle
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
She might still have them. I have heard them go to 18days before. If she has a hard tummy after 18days I would see a vet in case of a pyometra. Hope you have a had a surpise though. Could be a phantom pregnancy also,

Spuds Mum
12-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Well there is still no sign, and Vala seems hale and hearty, though the thought of pyometra did cross my mind, so we will be keeping a colse eye on her.

Its a shame because Arti (and I) were really looking forward to this (of course you know Arti loves his Agoutis).

And they would have made beautiful babies - her is a link to a photo of them meeting before mating - Arti has been updating the website with vala's profile tonight - Bronte next! lol

Vala is on the left - Yowie on the right

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/our_hamsters/vala/main/hamster_002.jpg

Basia
12-12-2007, 03:18 PM
They look beautiful. I'm so sorry you didn't get any babies, I was sure you would. :(
Vala's profile page is great, love the photos.