PDA

View Full Version : Ham refuses to use the house I bought him.

pharnok
10-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I just got another rescued ham and have had him for about two weeks and in all that time he will not use any of the houses that I have bought him. Instead he just uses a corner and makes his nest there. Which is fine but I think he would be happier if he used the house I bought him. I have bought him two houses
this one, which he destoryed

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3763494t400.jpg

and this one

http://msni.pricegrabber.com/pi/2/46/90/24690044_640.jpg

I tried putting his bedding in each one but he just goes inside and takes it all out. Is this normal?

ad36
10-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Mine is exactly the same, I have bought nesting beds and put bedding in it and she just takes all the bedding and puts it where she wants too. It use to worry me and I was sure she would have been more comfortable in the bed I provided. Now its quite funny too see where she sets up home next. I am sure your hamster is quite happy and comfortable, so please dont worry.
Save your money and space and get a few extra toys!

Spuds Mum
10-03-2007, 12:30 AM
In my experience Pharnok it is totally normal. I love the fact that hamsters really know exactly what they want. :x and it doesn't matter what you think he would be happier in - he knows where he is happiest :x
Some love houses, some don't, others change their mind every day almost (so keep a house in in case the weather gets cooler and he decides he does want one after all) :lol:
As long as he has somewhere comfy to sleep he will be fine.
That edible house, we have had some of those too, but none of our hamsters have used them as homes even though I thought they were a great idea. They do enjoy destroying them though, pulling all of the straw from the roof, but mine never seemed to get the idea of the edible walls.
If you want you could always keep trying cheaper other options, tissue boxes etc. (one of mine uses the square box that a little grass house came in - but ignores the grass house :shock: :? )

souffle
10-03-2007, 12:38 AM
I too find they prefer a bedding bundle in the corner. They have more room to bundle it up and dig around and it is more airy for them. In the summer they like a nice open nest and as it gets cooler they pile it up in a huge heap. I would not bother any more houses, just spend the money on fun toys and treats!

Jane
10-03-2007, 08:44 AM
My syrian hates houses too ;) He has a massssive (about 25cm x 25cm lol XD) nest in the corner of his cage which he loves ;)

Christine Yule
10-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Yep, mine are all different too. Some never use a house and just sleep in the corner with a ton of tissues torn up. They can't get enough of the soft cushy tissue! Others always sleep in tissue boxes or cracker boxes. One Syrian girl wil completely shred the box and use the bits for her bedding. Another one of my Syrian girls does "renovations" on her boxes. She chews windows for herself and makes the door larger etc. Inside she has a corner for her snacks and fills the other side with tissues. She has a great time, while her neighbour, a male Syrian has a tissue box and he never goes near it. He just lays in the bare corner with a few tissues. Of course, he is a Long haired one, so he probably doesn't need the house to keep warm. Either way, they are all very happy! :D :D :D

Save your money on the houses and try boxes.

Widowmaker
10-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Mine (dwarfs) just make their own beds out of the stuff I get for them to nest in. If they don't like a house, they will poo in or and/or destroy it... it's what hamster do i'm afraid! :lol:

agatecrystal
12-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Yes this is completely normal for a hamster. Hamsters will often move their bedding to where they are most comfortable. They tend to move it for lots of reasons like the slightest draft.