PDA

View Full Version : Shelving for cages?

Jane
09-30-2007, 03:49 AM
Just wondering, especially for those of you that have quite a few hamsters, what kind of shelving do you use??

Any pics? ;)

Jane

Basia
09-30-2007, 04:26 AM
These are mine Jane, they are a shelving unit from Argos which should be covered with canvas. I have had to take one lot of shelves out where the imac fantasies are because they are too tall. The gabbers fit in nicely. Sorry it looks a mess! Berry on the bottom, with her babies. The next shelf up is Basil, then Sid. The Imac are empty and so is the rody on the very top. Chunky and Fuzzy live downstairs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/300907020.jpg

Jane
09-30-2007, 04:40 AM
Oo looks good ;) How big is it?

Ideally I want something to fit Charlies zoozone 2 on (100cm x 50cm) but I doubt I will find any that big :(

Holly
09-30-2007, 07:33 AM
We've got ours on greenhouse staging, Jane - it's a temporary measure which works ok but the shelves aren't really deep enough and they also don't feel all that stable. I'm still looking for the perfet shelves - which brings me to my question.......

These are mine Jane, they are a shelving unit from Argos which should be covered with canvas. I have had to take one lot of shelves out where the imac fantasies are because they are too tall. The gabbers fit in nicely. Sorry it looks a mess! Berry on the bottom, with her babies. The next shelf up is Basil, then Sid. The Imac are empty and so is the rody on the very top. Chunky and Fuzzy live downstairs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/300907020.jpg

Can you tell me which page they are on? They look an absolutely PERFECT size and EXACTLY what I'd like for our hammy room...except I can't find them in the Argos book :?

Basia
09-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I bought them a couple of years ago for my son, then stole them for my hamsters. :oops:
They are on page 529 of the Autumn/Winter catalogue 'cream canvas 5 shelf unit' £29.99.
Jane - they aren't wide enough for a zoozone, in total they are 87 cms wide x 52 cms deep but in fact the widest cage you could slide in there is 75 cms. :( Gabber Rex's slide in perfectly though.

Holly
09-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks, Basia - found them now, they look wonderful, hope you don't mind I copy you? :oops:

Have you got yours fixed to the wall or do they feel stable standing on their own?

Basia
09-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Of course I don't mind. I have mine freestanding. As long as the screws are done up really tight they are very steady. You should have seen them when Dave had all his clobber stashed in there! He is living in Japan at the moment and we took the chance to decorate and refurnish his bedroom so I stole them for my hamsters. :D
Did you have a good time at Centre parcs?

leigh
09-30-2007, 01:48 PM
)I am in the middle of building my shelving for my hams (forbid that the man builds a shelf unit :shock: ), I got fed up with the living on various unit tops. :? I will post it once Ihave finished.
I would recommend that if you are thinking about buying a unit,then get one where you can maybe store your foods, sawdust etc..

Holly
10-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Excellent - fixing them to the wall is beyond my capabilities but buidling them with an electric screwdriver isn't!

Did you have a good time at Centre parcs?

We haven't gone yet! We go this morning, though I'm coming home every night to feed the animals and check on Caramel and her babies.

Spuds Mum
10-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Ours are shelves from Tesco. But we are still looking for at least one or two more shelves of the correct size.

This is how we have our hamsters at the moment:-
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/misc/DSC05010.jpg
From the top - Spud, Dubaku, Flump, Manny
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/misc/DSC05012.jpg
Peanut, Princess and Chip (the girls are waiting for their new Gabbers!)

Then we have the overspill
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/misc/DSC05011.jpg
Pip on a CD/DVD unit

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/misc/DSC05009.jpg
Butterbean, Bramble and Ice in her new Gabber Lux. I've told Arti that he doesn't reallyneed a PS3, XBox 360 and Wii and that if we got rid we could fit another Gabber on - he's not having it!! :roll:

Finally Rosie's Cookie is on top of the filing cabinet for the moment
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/misc/DSC05014.jpg

So that's me - and the room where I spend most of my time! :D

Jane
10-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Anyone know anywhere I can get some shelving big enough for a zoozone 2? I doubt it but it's worth a try :( Have been looking and can't find anything

sthomas048
10-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Wow, Teresa you have a hamster heaven. Sorry im drooling here ! :D Very nice.

Stephen.

Holly
10-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Wow, Teresa you have a hamster heaven.

I agree as well - they look fantastic (says I, realising I need to get organised very quickly now :shock: ).

Jane - I hope someopne can help you. I've had trouble finding anything wide enough for a Rex - until I saw Basia's and Spud's Mum's - so I can't :cry:

Brambles Dad
10-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow, Teresa you have a hamster heaven.

Yes, we are quite proud of our little hamster setups, but let me tell you, i fear it is only a matter of time before i end up having to give up the bottom shelf for a new hamster.

My poor ps3, wii and xbox 360. :cry: Thank goodness the game consoles are not that big or else i think Teresa would probably just hollow them out and use them as hamster cages (particularly the playstation 3, which i kind of forgot to tell her about until a month or 2 after buying it... ahem :oops: )

Your shelves look the perfect size for Rex cages though Basia. The next thing i would like to do is construct some proper wall mounted shelving made to fit our cages, but we cannot really do that in the room we keep the hamsters in at the moment. As is has a sloping roof there is not much wall space to mount lots of shelving.

Basia
10-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Your shelves look the perfect size for Rex cages though Basia. The next thing i would like to do is construct some proper wall mounted shelving made to fit our cages, but we cannot really do that in the room we keep the hamsters in at the moment. As is has a sloping roof there is not much wall space to mount lots of shelving.

I think your set up looks lovely. The Tesco shelves have a bit more room over the top than mine. I have to slide the cages out but as the shelves are on the box over the stairs they don't have to go right down onto the floor. Am now working on having the bed moved out into one of the other rooms. I keep saying no-one could sleep in here anyway with the hamsters. Then I would have room for at least 2 more sets of shelves. 8)

Holly
10-08-2007, 03:18 AM
I think your set up looks lovely. The Tesco shelves have a bit more room over the top than mine. I have to slide the cages out ......

I was thinking the same thing - Teresa were they in the main Tesco store or Tesco Direct and how much were they?

Am now working on having the bed moved out into one of the other rooms. I keep saying no-one could sleep in here anyway with the hamsters.

You aren't as mean as me - I nicked Will's playroom :oops:

He doesn't mind though - he'd rather have the hammies than an extra room he's got to tidy up!

Spuds Mum
10-08-2007, 08:44 AM
They were in the main Tescos about 6 months ago or so. I looked in T Direct catalogue the other day as I could really do with at least one more but can't find them on there :cry:
I think they were £30. I wish I had bought a couple more now!

Holly
10-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Finally.....I've got my hamster room and shelves up and running! I've had the shelves for about 10 days but haven't felt up to putting them up - today my dad kindly offered and all I had to do was lend the odd hand and provide endless coffees!

The shelves are from http://www.bigdug.co.uk/ and they come in various sizes - I've got Width 90cm x Depth 45cm x Height 180cm which will comfortably take a Gabber Rex (they'll even take the Hamster Heaven!). Jane there are wider widths which would take a Zoozone 2. They are very sturdy and safe feeling and I've set them up so that the lids can be lifted off the cages without taking them off the shelf (for convenience).

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_5760.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_5761.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_5762.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_5763.jpg

As I was saying in the other thread I'm setting the room up to "hamster proofed" so that they can all get some free-running (just need my dad to box in the pc wiring).

Spuds Mum
10-19-2007, 12:52 PM
It looks really great Holly! :D And the Batkat posters look fantastic too!
I can see that Caramel is safely Bulldog clipped in! :x and we got another sneaky peak at the pups in the cage too!
,,,,but Holly....what is the site showing on your PC? Could it be..your favourite forum, Hamster Central? :x :x

souffle
10-19-2007, 12:54 PM
That looks fantastic Holly. The shelves are excellent and great access too. Good old dad. :lol: You are always their little girl aren't you. :lol: My dad go's in for a heart op next Thursday so send all you good vibes his way folks. :?

Holly
10-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks you two - am really pleased with it all. I figured I needed to get seriously organised so hopefully I am now. Now I can be on HC whilst one of the hammies is having a run beside me!

Good old dad. :lol: You are always their little girl aren't you. :lol: My dad go's in for a heart op next Thursday so send all you good vibes his way folks. :?

Sending good wishes to your dad. What is he having done? My dad had a valve repair in July (he had a replacement 5 years ago but had a tear next to the replaced valve). You can tell your dad my dad's putting shelves up 3 months after his op!!

Spuds Mum
10-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Good old dad. :lol: You are always their little girl aren't you. :lol: My dad go's in for a heart op next Thursday so send all you good vibes his way folks. :?

Will definitely be sending good vibes his way Souffle. Hope everything goes ok, and that he is soon feeling much better.

And yes, three cheers for all Dads - I too am a Daddy's little girl still :oops: :D

Basia
10-19-2007, 01:40 PM
That looks fantastic Holly. The shelves are excellent and great access too. Good old dad. :lol: You are always their little girl aren't you. :lol: My dad go's in for a heart op next Thursday so send all you good vibes his way folks. :?
Will send my good vibes for your dad souffle, hope he makes a swift recovery.
The shelves look fantastic Holly!

Brambles Dad
10-19-2007, 03:09 PM
I will be sending good thoughts your dads way Souffle.

I love your shelving too Holly, you look very organised now.

pophammy
10-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Wow your shelves look great Holly! I am having my room redecorated at the moment and have a walk-in wardrobe. After my Dad put up some new shelves in it for my clothes I have now discovered that they fit a Gabber Lux perfectly, however he won't let Sonni move in! :roll: :( :evil: :lol:

Jane
10-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Your set up looks great Holly ;)

Ahhh I want a hammy/pet room :( If my brother hurries up and moves out I can have one!! but I doubt he'll do that any time soon :roll: Orrrrr, I could swap bedrooms with my mum and dad because there is a walk in wardrobe which the cages would fit nicely on.

Still havn't managed to find any - thanks for the site Holly but I'm struggling to find any the right size on there? I've had a look through various websites and stuff and none are big enough yet - I wont stop looking through! I don't really need it 100cm long, if it was sau 80cm x 55cm then it would fit and 10cm would hang off at each side.. I think that would be safe? but then I'm struggling to find them that wide too! Ahhhh.

Holly
10-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Thank you ladies :wink:

Still havn't managed to find any - thanks for the site Holly but I'm struggling to find any the right size on there? I've had a look through various websites and stuff and none are big enough yet - I wont stop looking through! I don't really need it 100cm long, if it was sau 80cm x 55cm then it would fit and 10cm would hang off at each side.. I think that would be safe? but then I'm struggling to find them that wide too! Ahhhh.

What about the next size up from mine - 90cm wide by 60cm deep (150c in the following link):
http://www.bigdug.co.uk/acatalog/Budget.html

You would need to slide the ZZ2 in between the side rails as they are only 90cm wide but, because of how deep they are, there would be space between the side supports.

They are really easy to put together as well :wink:

Jane
10-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Thank you ladies :wink:

What about the next size up from mine - 90cm wide by 60cm deep (150c in the following link):
http://www.bigdug.co.uk/acatalog/Budget.html

You would need to slide the ZZ2 in between the side rails as they are only 90cm wide but, because of how deep they are, there would be space between the side supports.

They are really easy to put together as well :wink:

Thanks - I think I might look into getting some. Will have to save up though - my parents wont buy me shelves for hamsters at £52.88 lol :lol:

Holly
10-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks - I think I might look into getting some. Will have to save up though - my parents wont buy me shelves for hamsters at £52.88 lol :lol:

Yes I found I was spending just a little bit more than I'd planned to as well :roll:

Oh well they are worth it if you can stretch to it, Jane - it makes life a lot easier with several cages.

Jane
10-20-2007, 01:41 PM

Yes I found I was spending just a little bit more than I'd planned to as well :roll:

Oh well they are worth it if you can stretch to it, Jane - it makes life a lot easier with several cages.

I think I'll save up £30ish and my parents will pay the rest if they don't mind. Do you think I will be able to open Charlie's zoozone without taking it off the shelves? I can't explain - like, can it stay there all the time with enough room for the mesh bit to be sticking in the air? I know gabber rex's will be not so tall but do they fit well when open or is there not that much room? (I'm making no sense AT ALL here! lol) I can't lift Charlies zoozone off all the time cos I'll end up dropping it (it's heavy :lol: :lol: )

Holly
10-20-2007, 02:06 PM

I think I'll save up £30ish and my parents will pay the rest if they don't mind. Do you think I will be able to open Charlie's zoozone without taking it off the shelves? I can't explain - like, can it stay there all the time with enough room for the mesh bit to be sticking in the air? I know gabber rex's will be not so tall but do they fit well when open or is there not that much room? (I'm making no sense AT ALL here! lol) I can't lift Charlies zoozone off all the time cos I'll end up dropping it (it's heavy :lol: :lol: )

Well they are fully adjustable - meaning you can have the shelves at whatever height you want them. There are five shelves but I've only put four on because I wanted enough space between them to be able to tend to the hams in their Rex's and get them out without taking the cages off each time.

Now the Rex lids slide to the side - I'm not familliar with how Zoozones open - do you mean the mesh bit lifts up, like on a hinge? If so you could make Charlie's shelf as big is it needs to be to accommodate that - and save space on Tic, Tac and Toe's shelves by making them smaller. Does that make sense?

Jane
10-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Well they are fully adjustable - meaning you can have the shelves at whatever height you want them. There are five shelves but I've only put four on because I wanted enough space between them to be able to tend to the hams in their Rex's and get them out without taking the cages off each time.

Now the Rex lids slide to the side - I'm not familliar with how Zoozones open - do you mean the mesh bit lifts up, like on a hinge? If so you could make Charlie's shelf as big is it needs to be to accommodate that - and save space on Tic, Tac and Toe's shelves by making them smaller. Does that make sense?

Ahh I understand now ;) I forgot about the gabber rexs sliding..yes, the zoozone lid lifts up kind of like a hinge (there is no hinge but it's like that lol)

Tic and Tac could go on the bottom, then Charlie next, then Toe on the top...I need to get saving :lol: :lol:

Jane
11-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Dad built me some shelves earlier :D Well, he got the actual shelfy bits from somewhere and made the leggy bits lol.

Mum is going to paint it for me tomorrow ;) Will post pics when it's done :D

Holly
11-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Sounds great - looking forward to the pictures 8)

Spuds Mum
11-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Dad built me some shelves earlier :D Well, he got the actual shelfy bits from somewhere and made the leggy bits lol.

Mum is going to paint it for me tomorrow ;) Will post pics when it's done :D

Bless your Mum and Dad Jane! It sounds good and we will love to see Charlie and co.s shelving when it is done

Jane
11-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Thankies ;) Doesn't look that pretty or posh or anything but hey it will work and that's all I care about really :)

Spuds Mum
11-06-2007, 11:27 AM
pretty and posh can be over-rated Jane - practical is what counts, a safe place to store your beloved pets.

Maybe you could ask Dad to put a spare shelf on too and then fill it with something :wink: :wink: and I know just the thing for you to fill it with.... :x :x

Or do you think that would push him just a little too much? lol

Jane
11-06-2007, 11:31 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

He would only do it three shelves - he said no more because then I have more room for more pets :roll: Typical :P

Spuds Mum
11-06-2007, 11:56 AM
:roll: parents hey? what can you do? :roll: :x :lol:

debs
01-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Finally.....I've got my hamster room and shelves up and running! I've had the shelves for about 10 days but haven't felt up to putting them up - today my dad kindly offered and all I had to do was lend the odd hand and provide endless coffees!

The shelves are from Shelving & Racking, Heavy Duty Industrial Shelves & Garage Shelving - BiGDUG (http://www.bigdug.co.uk/) and they come in various sizes - I've got Width 90cm x Depth 45cm x Height 180cm which will comfortably take a Gabber Rex (they'll even take the Hamster Heaven!). Jane there are wider widths which would take a Zoozone 2. They are very sturdy and safe feeling and I've set them up so that the lids can be lifted off the cages without taking them off the shelf (for convenience).

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_5760.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_5761.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_5762.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_5763.jpg

As I was saying in the other thread I'm setting the room up to "hamster proofed" so that they can all get some free-running (just need my dad to box in the pc wiring).

wow i would get them but they would be in my bedroom lol

stellanova1
01-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Looks amazing eh...this a very old thread

debs
01-08-2011, 05:20 PM
i know i was just saying i found metal ones lol

stellanova1
01-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm getting these ones, the exact same measurements too i think yipee