PDA

View Full Version : Lily is dead.

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm absolutely in hysterics right now. I don't know how this happened.

I had just changed her water and gave her food then went to have a shower to get ready for camping. Came back in my room to see Lily's cage upset with bedding everywhere and my cat on the place where her cage was.. I looked around and saw nothing, then my brother noticed my dog was underneath the bed with Lily in his mouth. She's dead.

I just don't even know what to do. I always made sure they were not in my room.. I'm thinking someone let them in.. she was so sweet.. I can't believe it.

Edit: A picture to remember her by. She was a very sweet and interesting girl.
http://i56.tinypic.com/rubg9d.jpg

Amethyst_ice
08-14-2011, 09:25 AM
oh my that must be so traumatic.

Don't punish your cat or dog, they won;t know what they did was wrong.

thoughts with you xxx

Gillzy
08-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Oh gosh, how horrible. :( You poor thing. This must be very upsetting for you. :(

RIP little Lily, I hope you weren't too scared and that it happened quickly.

mangoandmimi
08-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Oh gosh thats awful, im so sorry..
Rest well little Lily.xx

LocoRocoPanda
08-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Goodness that's so sad. :( I'm so sorry to hear about that.

I hope she plays well at the bridge and hope you're doing okay xx

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 09:36 AM
I feel so bad. She trusted me so easily and this happened.

Mikayla
08-14-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm so very sorry, this isn't anyone's fault. This must be very traumatic :( I'm so, SO sorry. :'(

Humphrey Furball
08-14-2011, 09:39 AM
So sorry about Lily, it's an awful shock for you

laurajane
08-14-2011, 09:41 AM
oh no :( thats so sad, thoughts are with you, at least she isnt in pain. R.I.P Lily xx

linford27
08-14-2011, 09:42 AM
it wasnt your fault. its you dogs/cats natural instinct, dont worry, im sure lily didnt suffer, this happened to 2 of my guinea pigs last year, our neighbours dogs got them but they died of fright quickly before the dogs got them in their mouth, i guess that was a good thing(iyswim)
anyway, look forward to a new hammy if you want!

snugglyjen
08-14-2011, 09:43 AM
so sorry to hear this...hope you are doing ok...

NicoleL88
08-14-2011, 09:46 AM
So sorry to hear this. :(

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Really upset right now. I was hoping she had ran and hid behind something.. I wasn't prepared for both animals in there.. I thought maybe the cat at the most but the stupid dog was in there too.

Amethyst_ice
08-14-2011, 09:51 AM
don't take it put on your other animals, i understand you are feeling angry right now but they really wouldn't know what they had done was wrong x

suga
08-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Rest peacefully Lily.

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the support guys. I probably won't be coming on here anymore, I don't see a reason to. Probably in the future if I decide to get another hamster.

suga
08-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the support guys. I probably won't be coming on here anymore, I don't see a reason to. Probably in the future if I decide to get another hamster.

You are always welcome regardless of whether you have a current hamster or not. See how you feel about things in a couple of days. You have had an awful shock so try not to make decisions right now. hugs suga

RachK
08-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Oh no! I am so so sorry. Lily was such a gorgeous little girly. Such a tragic thing to have happened. :(

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I keep glancing over at her cage and realizing she's not in there. This all happened so fast.. I had just checked on her before leaving my room. I'm so frustrated with myself. It was my responsibility to protect her.

Roxie
08-14-2011, 11:47 AM
It's really not your fault at all, it's a very sad, tragic accident.

Please try to not blame yourself and I'm so sorry for your loss x

starbug
08-14-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't feel guilty.

Member_12600
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I ended up coming on this site because a lot of people don't understand what it's like to lose a pet, especially a hamster. No one seems to take it or me seriously. It's really hard to not be upset when we clicked almost instantly. She was very easy to tame and seemed to trust me. I let her down.

Teddybearhamster420
Oh..Im so sorry. It must be so hard, and have no idea how you must feel right now. My thoughts are with you, PLease feel free to PM me any time, I often will check and it wont take long for me to reply, if you need to talk.

xxxxxxx Hope you feel better xxxxxxxx

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Oh..Im so sorry. It must be so hard, and have no idea how you must feel right now. My thoughts are with you, PLease feel free to PM me any time, I often will check and it wont take long for me to reply, if you need to talk.

xxxxxxx Hope you feel better xxxxxxxx
Thank you, I appreciate this.

I still can't believe this happened. I didn't even notice my cat laying on the chest where the cage was. I assumed it somehow fell over and that Lily was either in her bedding or possibly hiding behind my desk or bed.. then I noticed the cat, started freaking out and then my brother noticed my dog underneath my bed and that he had Lily. I was hoping she would be alive but I knew the chances were silm.

laurajane
08-14-2011, 11:59 AM
i know how you feel, its such a shock when something like this happens. and people just dont take you seriously, to them its just a hamster. to you she was much more... and we all understand :)

my advice would be to maybe move her cage into another room where you cant see it all the time... i had to do this when I lost Hercules because seeing it just reminded me he was gone and i would collapse in tears again.

but don't blame yourself, you did everything you could to keep her safe, happy and loved. she couldnt have asked for anymore. sadly, accidents like this do happen but thats what it is an accident and you are in no way to blame.

just remember your happy times xxx

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Thank you for that. I didn't even have her that long but it still felt like a long time.

I probably shouldn't have done this, but I just happened to check online on our local ad website, someone is trying to get rid of a teddy bear hamster. It comes with everything, their reason for not wanting it is because the daughter is fed up with it. I feel like I should rescue it.. especially if it's not wanted. I'm not sure though. No one could ever replace Lily but I feel bad for the unwanted hamster :/

Gillzy
08-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Everyone deals with this sort of situation differently, and it's up to you. If you feel you are ready to pass on the love then that's lovely. Although I'd maybe wait until tomorrow so you've had some time to let Lily's passing settle with you? But it really is up to you. We'll all support you whatever you decide to do. :)

laurajane
08-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah Herc was only about 6 months old when he passed, it seems so unfair.

well its a good step :) and your not replacing her at all, you are just wanting to give your love to another hamster who needs you. i felt a bit like that when I got Melvin, like i was replacing Herc and felt guilty but its not like that. if you want to give that a hamster a home I say go for it! :) it might be a good way to help you cope, take your mind off it a little xxx

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Everyone deals with this sort of situation differently, and it's up to you. If you feel you are ready to pass on the love then that's lovely. Although I'd maybe wait until tomorrow so you've had some time to let Lily's passing settle with you? But it really is up to you. We'll all support you whatever you decide to do. :)
Yeah, I just feel like acting now is too soon and insensitive, but when I read that the little girl is "fed up" with the hamster, I just feel like I should rescue it. :( It's not like it's a dwarf like Lily, so I wouldn't expect it to act the same, but ahh.. I don't know :(
Yeah Herc was only about 6 months old when he passed, it seems so unfair.

well its a good step :) and your not replacing her at all, you are just wanting to give your love to another hamster who needs you. i felt a bit like that when I got Melvin, like i was replacing Herc and felt guilty but its not like that. if you want to give that a hamster a home I say go for it! :) it might be a good way to help you cope, take your mind off it a little xxx
I've had other hamsters pass early before, Lily was my first hamster I've had since a child. It's horrible, I know how you feel :(

And thanks for the input. I know it'll be a while before I get over Lily, if ever, and having a new hamster or not won't change that. I feel like I should rescue it though. I emailed the mother, I wonder if the hamster is still there... the ad is 4 days old.

laurajane
08-14-2011, 12:26 PM
no problem at all, more than happy to give any advice and support. let us know what they say :) i hope you can help the little one, its not nice when people lose interest but i guess kids will be kids (even though if was the mum i would keep it and look after it)

hope you are doing ok :) *hugs* xx

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 12:42 PM
The hamster is still there, just asking why the daughter got fed up with it. I'm assuming she didn't end up taming it or did not want the responsibility of taking care of a hamster.

ClareNdarhams
08-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Aww sorry, I hope you feel better soon, it's hard when they pass young, I had one for 7 days.. I'm really not lucky.. Be optimistic though! :( Play well at the bridge Lily xx

belle3.
08-14-2011, 01:39 PM
i know its so hard to loose a hamster in such shock, i lost my belle when she escaped pregnant and i just found her on the floor..i will never forget her <3
belle will look after lily im sure ;)
play well at the bridge <3

fadedpages
08-14-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. Please try not to blame yourself (or your cat and dog), it's no one's fault, just a tragic accident. Play well at the bridge, Lily.

Each hamster's passing is different, and if you feel like you can give this other hamster the love it obviously needs, then go for it. It doesn't mean you love Lily any less, just that your heart is big enough to love another hamster too.

souffle
08-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Life is a risk for us and for our little friends who share it and sometimes things happen we cannot help or prevent.
Don't live life on regrets and what ifs. It is too short to waste on that because what will be will be.
She had a great life with you.
Play well at the bridge Lily x

Pompompoms
08-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I can't add anymore to to all the wonderful words hopefully helping you feel settled that this wasn't your fault, nor was it your cat or dog's. I lost one of my week old babies from Lilly's litter in really quite horrific circumstances recently and I know how traumatic it can be.

As for getting another ham if you are ready you are ready, we all do things differently, and if rescuing and giving the love you gave Lily to another ham so he may be just as happy is right for you then that's what you must do. If you decide not to the right ham will come to you eventually.

I'm glad you decided to come back, I have found this forum and the people on it amazing when I've lost my little guys.

Play well at the bridge beautiful little Lily with all our dearly missed friends xxx

MzWiz0915
08-14-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm so sorry this happened! RIP Lily <3

LoveMyHams
08-14-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm so sorry! :( If you are up to taking on another hamster I think it would be wonderful to rescue one. It sounds like the little on needs a new home and you have love to give. No hamster will ever replace Lily, but a new one to love can help ease the pain.

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your input and your support. :)

I decided to rescue the hamster, and boy, am I glad I did. It's very clear she was neglected, her cage was absolutely a mess... I really don't think they cleaned it in months. I'm going to make a thread on the whole thing in a few minutes, just wanted to post here that I decided to rescue the hamster. :)

Mikayla
08-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Congrats!

Some people greive different then others, some people feel like they cannot give their love to another animal, and some NEED to give their love to another. You and I both are the latter :)

Congratulations, again! Cannot wait for pictures!

Member_12600
08-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Thank you :)

I'm still very upset that I lost Lily, but I'm so glad that I found Nova. She really needed me!

laurajane
08-15-2011, 12:10 AM
so glad it worked out :) looking forward to seeing Nova!! xxx