PDA

View Full Version : Common chat abbreviations..

SnuggleHam
04-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Common chat abbreviations..

You might encounter these short chat abbreviations in any publics place on the internet where people are able to chat back and forth amongst each other be it a chat room or a forum and yes even in emails! There are some I will choose to leave out since I don’t want any bad language on the forum even ifs its an abbreviation. Check back for new ones as I remember them and add them.

LOL - Laugh out loud

LMAO - Laughing my *ss off

ROFLOL - Rolling On Floor Laughing Out Loud

BRB - Be right back

WB -Welcome Back

HB – Hurry back

IMHO –In my honest opinion

MM- Merry Meet

HC - Hamster Central

carefresh
04-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Good idea candace ! I know most of us know these, but there is quite a lot of people from other countries who have no idea what these are.

SnuggleHam
04-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Yes I understand that :) I’m glad I added it too. I think its better to just educate others about them rather then discouraging the use of them. For people like me especially who chat a lot and deal with lots of emails these little chat abbreviations are second nature I can’t help but automatically type them.

babyboos
04-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I totally agree Candace - it is all part of the chatting experience - we don't use perfect spelling and grammar on forums so why should we be banned from using internet shorthand, especially as there is only really a few common terms in use so everyone can quickly learn them.. hopefully this list will help people with their emails and visits to other internet sites, not just HC.

pophammy
04-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Great to have this Candace. Very useful for us rookie forumers We shall be popping them into use soon. TAL (thanks a lot). Did I make that up??? :lol:

SnuggleHam
04-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Lol.. yes Tal I think was just made up by you, I never heard that one.. :P I dont think its commonly used anywhere, But if everyone stats using it ill add it to the list hehe

babyboos
04-22-2005, 12:15 PM
IMO In My Opinion...

Pandan
04-25-2005, 08:45 PM
ROTFLMAO- roll on the floor laughing meh a** off

amnerisryn
04-26-2005, 06:02 AM
BBIAB - be back in a bit

TY - thank you

NP - no problem/probs

AFK - away from keyboard

LJ - LiveJournal

CU - see you

L8R - later

<3 - heart

ATM - at the moment

NM - not much/nothing much

AKA - also known as

ROFL - rolling on floor laughing

I've seen 'ggl' for Google but I think that is just used by a few people I know and not broadly. I've also had a friend use it to mean giggle.

that's all I can squeeze from my sleep-deprived mind at the moment.

gloriaV
05-09-2005, 07:04 AM
lol. Yeap... people who don't speak english as their first language (like me!) could learn fast... In fact I've heard all of those several times before... but it's good to have a list!!! Thanks! :lol:

arikata
06-25-2008, 01:03 PM
(_8(1) Homer Simpson! (look at it from the side!)

<;))-< Fishy!

stripeybea
09-19-2008, 07:21 AM
btw - by the way
dont no if count it as common chat abbreviations but coulnt see it on the list so thought i would add it.

winterwhite
09-20-2008, 12:46 PM
thanks to everyone for listing these chat abbreviations although my daughter seems to know most if not all of them ,i on the other hand know very few if any and have found the lists very useful.

Zeromyers
05-26-2009, 03:40 AM
They usually use TBH as to be honest.... I think more are made up every day and it gets to the point where young people just speak in total abreviations now... I am always just clueless about most of them and googling them up to understand. :D

Sterluv
06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
That's a good idea! I've seen a lot of these but I didn't know what they meant. I think ggl would be a good abbreviation for giggle too!

amiee loves hamsters
09-16-2011, 08:42 AM
ttyl- talk to u later
fyi- for ur information
wuut- wat u up to (dont know if u would use this but thought i would add it)

Demecat
10-15-2011, 06:41 AM
TTFN - Ta Ta For Now

TBH - To Be Honest

FB - Facebook

PaH/P@H - Pets At Home