PDA

View Full Version : Toilet training a Chinese?

Roxie
08-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Can it be done?

I don't tend to toilet train my babies. I let them go out at their own pace and they soon pick a corner. However Shiloh has started peeing in her food bowl which I'm not overly happy about. She does it in her wheel too but that's not really an issue.

It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to scatter feed but what with her digging its going to be hard to monitor her eating habits if I did that.

She is still baby, around 8 weeks, so I'm hoping she'll grow out of it, but I'd like to be able to encourage her not to do it if I can.

Advice welcome! I'm on a constant learning curve with this little one.

luvcats22
08-11-2011, 09:25 AM
does she have a sandbath? when i got my billy he straight away started peeing in his sandbath and has done ever since, on the other hand charlie pees anywhere in his cage. im not sure how to train them, billy just did it himself (clever boy lol)

Roxie
08-11-2011, 09:34 AM
She does indeed, just puts random bits of food there, never pees in it :)

fluffymunchkins
08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Have you tried a mug?
Bacardi loves to wee (and store food >_<) in his x

Roxie
08-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Have you tried a mug?
Bacardi loves to wee (and store food >_<) in his x

AHA! I didn't think of that, I'll give it a whirl :)

SnickersTheFirst
08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Bailey only pees in cardboard loo roll tubes. :mad: Maybe try that? I've heard it's quite a common Chinese habit.

souffle
08-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Dommy Bob always pees in his wheel! Always has and always will! I find the more you wash it the more he does it so I don't clean it so often as I did at first now.

Roxie
08-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Dommy Bob always pees in his wheel! Always has and always will! I find the more you wash it the more he does it so I don't clean it so often as I did at first now.

I'm happy for Shiloh to do the wheel thing, she likes to poo in there too :). I might try the scatter feeding for a while then reintroduce the bowl, see if it helps.

racinghamster
08-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Prinny has always came out from her cardboard tea box (where she sleeps! :mad:) and makes a dash for her toilet roll tube. She has two. One at the other end of her cage and one leading into her stash corner. She pees in either. Whether she pees in other places I`m not too sure, but I do know she prefers to pee in the tubes which is good because it means I can see the stain and monitor how much urine she is passing and I can see the damp patch the stain leaves. :)

My mice tend to pee in their food dish but Prinny does`nt. Not yet anyway!

Roxie
08-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Hmm, seems like a cardboard tube could be the answer. She has an all wooden set up and doesn't pee in that.

I'll give a plain old cardboard tube a whirl!

zany_toon
08-15-2011, 05:37 PM
I hope the cardboard tube works Roxie :) I've been lucky in that Harry trained himself and only goes under his wheel or behind his water bottle :) Good luck with training Shiloh :)

Roxie
08-16-2011, 04:08 AM
Well, she's stopped peeing in the bowl now, which is great!

However, she's starting pooing in it now, I despair! :rolleyes::mad: