PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Advice...

MzWiz0915
08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
I went to my local pet shop yesterday...I usually avoid the pet shop because the staff is not very knowledgeable and I'm usually very upset by the condition the small animals are living in. But, the store changes hands quite frequently so I decided to give it another try...The new manager was delightful and introduced me to all her current hamsters ready to be adopted. Then she showed me a litter of Chinese babies that she had "rescued" from a friends home where they weren't being cared for properly. I saw that they were living in an aquarium-style cage with 2 adult females and were very young.

She picked up one baby and let me hold it! I fell in love instantly! Such delicate, streamlined features that you just don't see in other breeds! And the tail, oh I love the little tail :)

I really would love to go back in a few weeks and adopt one of these little hamsters. But I have no experience with Chinese hams and currently own a Syrian female and 2 female Robos, all under 1 year of age.

Can anyone with experience raising this breed advise me on adopting them?

Is it okay that these little ones have had a troubled start to life?

Are Chinese hams friendly and easy to tame?

Do they enjoy hand-time, or prefer to be allowed to play alone?

We're moving to a larger home next month and I will have plenty of space to expand Hamster-land, as I call my collection of cages. I'm just not certain that I would be an appropriate pet parent for this particular litter of little ones....given their troubled start...

Vectis Hamstery
08-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Chinese hamsters are my favourite! Those little tails just get me too, and they're so sweet. It's lovely to see another Chinese hamster convert :)

How old are the little ones? Litters need to be separated into males and females aged 4 weeks or the females may become pregnant. I like to separate the female babies from mum at this stage too so she can have a rest. If the litter is older than 4 weeks and the sexes are still mixed, there's a risk any female babies (and the adult females) may be pregnant so it's worth checking. Males are easy to spot, and there are pictures on my website of how to sex Chinese hamsters. Other than that, I'm not sure that this litter will be any worse off than any other pet shop hamster.

Chinese hamsters tend to be shy, but can become very tame especially if handled confidently from a young age. I use a playbox for taming and playtime, though my Chineseys also enjoy using me as a climbing frame. I prefer boys as I find them more snuggly - my boys will sit on my shoulder and sneak under my hair. They prefer cages with plenty of hidey holes, but make sure that houses are open bottomed so you can lift them up to get your hamster out! I like tank style cages with wide access to get to the hamster.

If you get one of these young hamsters, find out what feeding regime they are used to. A baby hamster would benefit from protein-rich foods to help growth (e.g. small pieces of chicken, egg, porridge) but if they aren't used to extras introduce them slowly and in small amounts.

If you have any other questions, do ask :)

MzWiz0915
08-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure how old the babies are, they were quite tiny, I was very surprised she picked them up and then handed one to me. I have always loved the looks of Chinese hams and have wanted one, but they're not common in the US and since I don't know a lot about the breed I thought it'd be wrong to buy one because it's cute.

We haven't decided for certain if we're getting one, but I'm really hoping we do! I have to convince my partner that a 4th hamster is a good decision, and he's not easily persuaded by adorable babies :)

Debbie
08-09-2011, 02:46 AM
When I got my chinese I had never had one before but she wasn't any different to look after than all the other hamsters I'd had, in fact I'd say she was easier because she was happy to amuse herself in her cage - or in the bath/on the bed for playtime! She was a delight to watch and setting up her cage was more fun than for a large hamster because chinese are so small and like lots of hidey holes so it's easy to find toys/boxes/tubes etc they can fit in. Mouse was around 9months old when we got her as a rescue but she was happy to be picked up and handled and curious to find out what was going on if you went in her cage. We made a large bin cage for her with a wooden shelf, deep substrate and sand area with lots of tunnels, log bridges, houses etc and she really did seem to enjoy her environment. I fell in love with chinese as soon as we got her and will most definitely be getting another one sometime soon!

racinghamster
08-09-2011, 03:03 AM
I have recently taken on a female chinese hamster and I can tell you now that they are the best! ;) They are much more mouse-like in their habits to be honest and have possum eyes! They are best homed singly as taking on a pair may prove volatile later on and you might find they need seperating, so a single male or single female would be best, especially if you hav`nt kept a chinese before.

As the others have said, they have a shy nature, but a very sweet one and are the least likely to nip. In fact, they don`t bite unless they are very nervous or hav`nt been handled a lot, but they are known for their sweet natures.

The most important thing you need to know about chinese hamsters is that they require a diet that has no sugar, molasses, syrup, honey or any fruit added. They can be genetically prone to diabetes, so making sure you can feed a mix that has one of these added is important. Hazel Hamster in the US is the best one (it`s called Harry Hamster over here in the UK).

Chinese hamsters love small seeds like millet and dry oats, just your typical plain porridge oats are fine. :)

Once you take on a chinese hamster, you won`t regret it. They are not as hands on as the larger syrians or the Russians, but very sweet and will lick seeds from your hand and run up your sleeve! :mad:

Roxie
08-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Everythings been covered, but I just want to encourage you to take a Chinese on.

I got Shiloh, my first Chinese just over a week ago and she has been an absolute joy. You'll get a great deal of happiness from them and when you realise they are beginning to trust you it really is a wonderful feeling.

LocoRocoPanda
08-09-2011, 04:04 AM
I'm a huge Chinese nut (to the point in which I don't own any anymore...See confusing, eh?) and personally I'd get a Chinese!! :D They are shining little souls and will love you very deeply. Plus they don't beg or chirp. XD

Roxie
08-09-2011, 04:06 AM
"Shining little souls" I like that, what a lovely way to sum them up :)

racinghamster
08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
That is so well put Loco. Describes them very well. ;)

MzWiz0915
08-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I keep torturing myself over this... I went years without ever seeing a Chinese ham in the stores, now every store I go in has multiple baby Chinese hams!

We're moving in a week or two and I will have a lot more room for me to expand my hamster village :) I think I've talked Matt into wanting one too!

If I get one I'm going to have to build a bin cage though, because I can't afford to buy any decent cages right now and all the ones I already own are in use :)

Got any advice on a Chinese ham bin cage?

flix
08-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Got any advice on a Chinese ham bin cage?
I think there's a good thread in the Housing section, all about building your own bin cage. Here's the link: http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/19246-mosraels-cage-bin-cage-tutorial.html

Also this slideshow: http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/Louise_81/?action=view&current=7b316f26.pbw

I hope this helps you!