PDA

View Full Version : Adapting regular cages to tube systems

Foxglove
09-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Hello. I have a hamster cage which has the option of adding tubes to it. I have a second hamster cage and I would really like to make it so that these two cages are connected to each other.

My problem is that the second cage is just a traditional "My First Home" one, and therefore doesn't have any tube "extensions." I've heard that you can buy adapters to latch on the cage doors in order to make it possible to use tubes for them, but I can't find these. Has anyone else ever gone through something like this? If so, have you found one of these adapters, or managed to construct your own? Thank you!

Holly
09-16-2007, 03:41 AM
It is possible to do this - we have done it using FOP adaptors:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_4252.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/140_4038_r1.jpg

If you can't see the adaptors very well in the picture they are plastic inserts with a hole to put the tube through - you put them in place of the doorway in a wire cage.

We are in the UK though - I don't know of there is a similar thing available in other countries.

Jane
09-16-2007, 03:48 AM
I've done this before too using a FOP tube adaptor :D Worked really well, for mine I cut away the bars but you can put them over doors if the cage has more than one door. I got one of mine from ebay and one from someone on another forum (then I sent one to someone on a forum a few months back..can't remember who it was though :P)

Foxglove
09-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Thank you both so much... all I was really looking for was the name of one of the products. I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't find them anywhere, no one knew what they were, and I was still certain that I had heard of them at one point.

I haven't seen them in any stores in the USA, but now that I have a name I'll be combing through the internet for them.

Holly, I love your cages; thank you for posting those pictures. And Jane, I'll take your advice and cut away the bars, seeing as the cage only has one door. Thanks again!