PDA

View Full Version : Bin cages ~ advice

Gamina
08-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I have been thinking for a while about making a bin cage for my hamster but when he passed away I forgot about it.
What I really need is some hands on advice about how to make one. What are the materials I will really need? What tools are essential? Any tips and photos would be great. I currently have my rats in a 60x92 cage so the hammie would live on top.

Kerryyyy
08-06-2011, 09:35 PM
I have been wanting to know the exact same thing. I think it would be alot cheaper and better than a wired cage.

vanilla-yazoo
08-07-2011, 05:20 AM
i used wire cutters for mine, just got a roll of wire mesh, cut a large rectangle, folded it around the top of the cage and cut it around, i plan to go around the edge with a strip of wood or something, ive put duct tape around just so it dosnt scratch, i did try and make an opening door for the top, but it didnt quite qork, but i will be making a new lid or cage soon for mishka, i have my eye on a glass cabanet from ikea and meshing/wood panneling on the sides.. ¬.¬ hehe

alexarcano
08-21-2011, 05:01 PM
you can avoid the whole meshing business by drilling holes in the lid and sides with a good high speed drill. if drilling try to avoid pressing down on the drill, just let the own weight of the drill do the work. a light touch and gentle going is the key. Drill the lid with a smaller bit first and go back over them later with a larger bit to widen them. a drill (or dremmel) with a small bit can be used for doing the sides. sometimes using mesh on the lid is handy though if you plan to suspend things from it.

Gamina
08-22-2011, 01:02 AM
I finished it a while ago ^^ I meshed both the lid and a side window just because I wanted really good ventilation and like you said hanging places, plus I love peeking through the window and seeing him.