PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about this breed.

Member_12600
08-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Alright so, I recently bought a dwarf hamster a few days ago and I'm having trouble figuring out the exact breed.. the pet store only called it a dwarf hamster however I looked around online and I THINK it may be a chinese dwarf hamster.

It looks pretty much exactly like this:
http://www.theanimalfiles.com/images/winter_white_russian_dwarf_hamster_2.jpg

But when I googled the White Russian dwarf hamster, the same picture came up. As you can see, I am confused.. what are your guys' opinion?

KatiePillow
08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
It looks like a russian, either campbell (that colour is actually WW I think, however wild campbells look similar, just slightly different), a winter white, or a hybrid. However, if your hamster is a lot slimmer, it may be a chinese hamster.
That hamsters colouring is very similar to that of a normal chinese, but they have about an inch long tail and are, as said, very slim

Member_12600
08-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't say it's slim, it looks very rounded, almost like a ball or something, even when it walks. I've had other hamsters before and they were very long and slim, unlike this one :P

KatiePillow
08-01-2011, 10:10 AM
The main thing is does your hamster have a tail? Like...an inch long tail.

If they're rounded they sound like some sort of russian hamster - campbells, winter whites or some degree of hybrid between the two. :)

Member_12600
08-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Oh! Yeah, I saw a tail.

racinghamster
08-01-2011, 10:31 AM
The hamster photo you have posted is definately not a Chinese. It`s one of the Russian dwarf varieties either Winter White, Campbells or a hybrid (which is technically neither because ii`s a bit of a mix between the two).

Chinese hamsters are sleek, have the same stripe down the back and have a tail. Russian dwarf hamsters don`t have a tail that is really all that noticable and they are usually robust, rounded little hamsters. Much like the photo you posted. To the untrained eye it can be tricky to tell them apart if they are young, but the tail on the Chinese usually curls upwards and is a tail you can`t miss. The Russian species tails are fur covered and less noticable.

Member_12600
08-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Eh, I noticed a tail .. ah I'm so confused. I'll wait until it's not sleeping and do a double check for a tail.

Hamtastic
08-01-2011, 11:02 AM
It's difficult to say unless you post a photo of your actual hamster, because it's not only the color that's important but also the shape (face, body, etc.) It's most likely a Russian Dwarf, but whether it is a Winter White in normal coat, a Campbell, or a hybrid, even a photo might not be able to fully confirm--all 3 possibilities can have this sort of coloration. (This particular photo is of a winter white).

ashari
08-01-2011, 11:24 AM
this is a link to a chinese ham picture and some info

Chinese Hamsters (http://www.hamsterific.com/ChineseHamster.cfm)

souffle
08-01-2011, 11:25 AM
The hamster in that picture isn't a Chinese. It is as mentioned either a Campbell, WW or Hybrid. They all have tails. Some are tiny but some lines do have slightly bigger tails that you might notice more. Chinese have quite a long tail and it can be wiggled around. Male Chinese are very obviously male!

Member_12600
08-01-2011, 11:30 AM
this is a link to a chinese ham picture and some info

Chinese Hamsters (http://www.hamsterific.com/ChineseHamster.cfm)

After looking at those pictures, I'm 99% sure I don't have a chinese hamster. I thought I noticed a tail but it does not look like that. I managed to take a few pictures, I'm not sure if they will be able to help since a lot of the time my hamsters bottom is sitting in the bedding and I cannot get a good look at it xD

(since the pictures are big, you will have to click them - I don't want to take up space!)
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff414/eii3/hamster3.jpg
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff414/eii3/hamster2.jpg

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
08-01-2011, 11:38 AM
If it were a chinese the tail would be very obvious. :) Like mentioned chinese are long and slim and the tails are nearly an inch long or there abouts.

The colouring in your photos suggests that it is more than likely a Russian dwarf (possibly campbells russian I cant really see the colour properly) but if it is from a pet shop you can expect it to have some winter white mixed in the family line so it could very possibly be a hybrid. :) Sadly unless you are able to find out where it came from breeder wise and get its history then you will never know if it is a pure bred russian or a hybrid. Either way though it looks like a really beautiful hamster. :)

fluffymunchkins
08-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Your hamster definitley isn't a chinese :)
It looks most like a russian campbells, but likely to be a hybrid x

Member_12600
08-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks everyone, and yeah, a tail isn't obvious at all so I'm pretty sure it's a RC dwarf.

Edit: Managed to get a better look when I was playing with it earlier. It has a very small tail that is fluffy.. it's not very long at all, so I'm sure it's not a chinese. Thanks!

racinghamster
08-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Definately a Russian dwarf variety from your photos. :) Just wanted to say also that the wheel you have is unsafe. It`s `runged` and your hamster will find it difficult to use and could get his/her leg caught. Can I suggest a regular silent spinner wheel? This wheel is 6.5 inches across the centre and ideal for hamsters this size. There are oter wheels of a similar size on the market but the regular silent spinner is one of the best. Just remember to unscrew the yellow parts when washing it! The screw inside will rust otherwise.

Is your hamster a male or a female?

Gillzy
08-02-2011, 01:46 AM
You've got a lovely looking most-likely-hybrid ham there. :) May I suggest that in the meantime of you getting a new wheel (if you can) that you weave cardboard through the rungs on it to make it a solid running surface. This will help avoid any risk of bumble foot. :)

Member_12600
08-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Definately a Russian dwarf variety from your photos. :) Just wanted to say also that the wheel you have is unsafe. It`s `runged` and your hamster will find it difficult to use and could get his/her leg caught. Can I suggest a regular silent spinner wheel? This wheel is 6.5 inches across the centre and ideal for hamsters this size. There are oter wheels of a similar size on the market but the regular silent spinner is one of the best. Just remember to unscrew the yellow parts when washing it! The screw inside will rust otherwise.

Is your hamster a male or a female?

You've got a lovely looking most-likely-hybrid ham there. :) May I suggest that in the meantime of you getting a new wheel (if you can) that you weave cardboard through the rungs on it to make it a solid running surface. This will help avoid any risk of bumble foot. :)
Yeah, I don't like the wheel either. It came with the cage, and the only other wheels I could find were ones that were pretty much the same thing. My hamster really loves to use the wheel, and I feel like this one isn't very fun to use at all. :( I am definitely trying to find a good replacement!

As for the gender, I'm not sure. :( I really would like to find out soon though so I can decide on a name, but my hamster isn't very tame yet and I can't hold it long enough to turn it over and check the gender.