PDA

View Full Version : Pexiglass?

Smysha
07-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Hello all!

It seems as though I have to wait before I get any hamsters. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in Genevieve's direction. Anyway, to while the time I am planning to make my own cage as inspired by Lemmings, Nappo and Wofunny on this forum and all those Germans on That Other Forum.

I'm not going to modify any IKEA furniture but rather build it from timber myself. The only questions I have are regarding the sort of glass do should I use? Plexiglass? Acrylic? Is that the same thing? Doesn't that scratch easily? Does it look nice? What about normal glass? Or is that superbly expensive?

Thanks in advance!

LocoRocoPanda
07-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Pexiglass on Pinkie Pie's viv is really good stuff. :) Pexiglass is easier to work with that Acrylic. Normal glass can be a bit heavy.

Glad you're making their cage. :D We may end up with siblings ya know.

Smysha
07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh yeah? Bagsie the cutest ones!

LocoRocoPanda
07-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Ha. I doubt there'll be one more cute than the others. WWs come in the same level of ultra adorable!!!

Smysha
07-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes, that is probably true. Thanks for your advice - pexiglass it is! Slightly annoying as acrylic is cheaper. Oh well.

alexarcano
08-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Depends on the grade of acrylic, however I would go for clear polycarbonate, it's highly scratch resistant, light and fairly cheap (check ebay) this stuff is realy good, so much so it is used in bullet proofing applications. Oh, and plexiglass can shatter on impact leaving sharp edges. Hope this helps.
Edit: Just noticed the date on this, drat these late replies :(

namrufmo
08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Glass is usually cheaper than any of those options! Although it is heavier...

Smysha
08-22-2011, 04:13 PM
No Alex - you are not late at all. I haven't even started making it yet though all the planning is nearly done. I've decided to go for glass. I've found a person near me who will do it for pretty cheap. I was thinking about making a guard before the glass door that would only be half the height out of plexiglass. I'll look into the clear polycarbonate too though.